Review: Sky Ray 3800 3 x XM-L

picrthis, I was wondering how you fared with that light...glad you chimed-in.

I also had my FryRay 3800 crap-out. My 818 was DOA. Manafont doesn't know you when you have problems.

One CS rep. had the audacity to say they only had a 3-day warranty on the SkyRay 3800.

I asked if that started the day it was shipped. No reply.

I wouldn't buy anything else from Manafont, even with a gift card. AVOID!

@ picthis

I'm sorry to hear this, but my story is a bid different. They really want to replace the torch, but It's so stupid to send back a torch of 30euro when the shipment is 60. So I will try to fix the broken one with replacement parts, but I cann't get it open.

The reason it cost so much to ship back is because in our free countries we must pay the full rate of what a service cost.

Whereas in the Communist country of China, their government subsidizes the shipping cost as to flood the world with cheap Chinese goods, also the Chinese have under valued their currency to further allow them to achieve that goal; the US Government has complained about that for years, but there really is not much that can be done about.

So Yes while they may say to ship it back to them, they know darn well it's not cost effective for you and are banking on the fact you won't.

Call it unfair trade which it is, but that's Communism for you!

The fews guys whom i have dealt with, whom i think would treat you as a VIP or at least semi-VIP, maybe for overall purchases of > $200, would be cnqualitygoods, HKE, and i would believe Andy Wong of taobao (aka Olightworld on Ebay)....you need to email them for the special prices. For 1.5k i am pretty sure you'd get a free light or two, aside from discounts, or free upgrade from registered to DHL for first-class experience. heh... I am sure as a VIP, for a DOA light you'd be covered for return shipment cost for the branded lights for eg free batteries or something, since it's 1-1 for the branded ones anyway which they'll pick up with the main distributor.

You'd also notice that CNQG, HKE and Andy sell flashlights exclusively, and not dildos/chinese ipads/watches. That said, at least for me, Dinodirect is pretty good in the form of "RMA" via giftcards. I mean...heck, it's better than nothing or NEGATIVE, in your case.

(1) I got the big Fenix and after 2 days later it was dead. WTF? Emailed the guy and told him i have not even enjoyed it for 1hr, it's dead. "Send it in, 1-1 exch no problem". I replied that it's a disappointment since i have not even logged 1hr, can i get a free pair of Panasonics? "No problem, welcome to just send it in". Case close. And yes i got this Fenix for under 180 bucks shipped, so it's not inflated pricings for VIP service.

(2) I purchased 3 lights and i paid for DHL. Opened the package and only got 2 lights. Felt a panic attack because i did not do an unboxing video...heck who would believe me man. Emailed him and got a reply within 12 hrs "I'll do a check". After 6hrs i got a second reply "No problem i'll send it out". Didn't ask whether it'd be via registered or unregistered, but still happy because they are sending it out. 24hrs later i got a DHL number, tracked it and 12hrs later it arrived in the country and i called to arrange for a redirection, got it like 3hrs after that.

i cant belive people are still buying these, atlest buy a TR-3T6 so if its d.o.a or it stops working you can buy replacement drivers and replacement bezel,s, switches, glass and battery tubes if you damage it.

Hi guy's,

I have my torch working again... For 2 Minutes...

There was a bad solding and I did it as it should.

Now I have the problem of heating, I think... After 2 seconds.

on med and low, the torch keep lightning. but on high, it is on for not even a second and on strobo and sos, it blinks 3-4 times and then it is dead, til I push the button again to go to the next program...

Any one an idea? Or is the circuit board broke and where can I find one? Does this one fits : http://www.nextgadgets.eu/nl/DIY-Parts-Tools/32633-5V-8.4V-15W-5-*-5-Cree-Mode-Memory-Circuit-Board-voor-Zaklampe.htm ?

Thank already.

Hi guy's,

I have my torch working again... For 2 Minutes...

There was a bad solding and I did it as it should.

Now I have the problem of heating, I think... After 2 seconds.

on med and low, the torch keep lightning. but on high, it is on for not even a second and on strobo and sos, it blinks 3-4 times and then it is dead, til I push the button again to go to the next program...

Any one an idea? Or is the circuit board broke and where can I find one? Does this one fits : http://www.nextgadgets.eu/nl/DIY-Parts-Tools/32633-5V-8.4V-15W-5-*-5-Cree-Mode-Memory-Circuit-Board-voor-Zaklampe.htm ?

Thank already.

Try other batteries? Might be the PCB protection kicking in.

Thank you, 2100.

I tried other battery's. (strange, why didn't I think about that) and it worked for one minute. Then the light goes out. When I push the button, I have HIGH licht again for about one minute.
The strange thing is also I tested it with a AC-DC transofmer on 7.5V and it was the same phenomenon.

Does that mean a battery is dead already?(they are brand new.) The mark is: PALIGHT BG18650 33300mAh 3.7V (black ones) are these good or is there a better mark?

I hope the light will keep on working now.

You wanna charge the cells to max and see if you can get it to work 3 minutes, 8 mins etc? If that's the case then your batteries are not of high quality, cannot sustain the current draw.

Hi 2100,

I did what you asked and indeed, they are lasting a bit longer. So the problem is indeed the batteries.Thank you so much for your answer.
I almost ordered a new circuit board... And it would not propably be the right one. :-D

Can anyone tell me which batteries I have to buy and where I can find them ?

Thanks.

i recomend these check the thread out if you want.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4522

Yeah, Benckie posted good stuff there. Seriously any protected battery would do, key word = PROTECTED. This is for safety, esp for the driver(s) used in these lights. Can get the XTAR 2600s, they will serve you for quite a few years to come, spend a couple of dollars more.

I figured I would update this thread. I got the original Skyray version and my light is still going strong. This is no shelf queen either it is one of my most used lights. I have been using it as a bike light mounted to my handlebars powered by 2 bestinone 18500 IMRs. I mostly run it on low or medium, but occasionally I will run it for short periods on high. The weather has been extremely cold here so the light never gets hot.

I think it is high which kills the driver (heat). I use my triple XM-Ls for many hundreds of hrs already, no issue, but rarely in HIGH other than for fun.

I use my TR-3T6 99.99% on high with no problem

I have that one too and did 1 time on high with just airflow full bore, aka 60 minutes style (long time ago, more of testing the low voltage cut, which i found none). It gets really hot as well, so i would not say that it would not have issues. Just that nobody experienced it failing. This is just physics, can't get past it. The TF gets to 45 deg C faster than a TK70. 10 minutes on high for these running at 1300L OTF is really ok. 15 mins is prob the limit i'd do to be on the safe side.

Thing is, 1 failure is one too many really ($50 is not a heck lot of money but absolute nobody wants to throw money away LOL!), unless you have access to spare drivers, in your drawers that is and not with Manafont or DX or what.

If i really want the lumens for long periods as in hours, i just dig out multiple triples, run them at about 800 lumens each and bounce them. Did just that for my 13" HID mod a few days ago as i really needed the light to see the insides and when testing the lux and adjusting focus etc, probably did that for > 10hrs total.

There is a low voltage on it, the light dim,s and stays in low mode only letting the user know time to change batteries. To me thats low voltage protection not letting you run the light on high with low batteries.

I live in Australia it is a hot place and ive run the light many many times for over an hour no worries, if the out side of the torch is heating up quickly thats fine, it means the screw in is doing its job and the heat is soaking into the head and spreading away from the led,s and driver.

You can not compare a Tk70 to the TR-3T6, the TK70 is 4 times the price and the head is 4 times larger with much more surface area is just physics, can't get past it, its like trying to say an apple is an orange.

Maybe it's me....just don't feel good running the light till it is too hot to touch. The Trustfire triple is my main utility flashlight because it is floody and it takes 2 x 18500 which I use IMRs and gives me 30 mins just nice. I mean it's also cheaper than my DRYs so for utility use like taking down/pinning up curtains and finding things, this comes up as first choice. LOL!

Perhaps i have a good reason to be afraid, because these "generic" boost drivers are actually quite low in efficiency. That means more heat at the driver.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/flashlight-component-triple-t6-cree-circuit-board-driver-p-7973

For the DRY, it's pretty easy to change out the driver, and so far only Thommy has a driver failure. He mentioned he uses the light a lot. It is very easy to overheat (with my definition of overheating) the light in Turbo, doesn't take more than 2 mins. And in High, not longer than 20 mins (actually by then it is at the Trustfire heat levels). For the much lowered efficiency and heat, you trade those for output.

But frankly i am looking at the new 1 x 26650 triple XM-Ls, looks cool! Not sure if it's a drop-in though.

http://www.tmart.com/pgallery/BeamTech-BT4000-CREE-XMT6-18W-2700LM-5-Mode-Flashlight-Gray_p136640.html

I think this will be good and it can run 26650,s.

TrustFire TR-J12 Cree XM-L T6 5-LED 4500-Lumen 5-Mode Memory Flashlight - Black Aluminum Alloy Finish (3 x 26650/3 x 18650)

ive been looking for a 26650 light i like and now its here