REVIEW - SKYRAY KUNG M4!!!!! KING KILLER- (Pics, Light, beamshots, & driver added )

You do realize U2 and T6 are luminous flux bins, not tint / chromaticity bins right?

I think they are more eluding to the typical tint of same flashlights with different emitters…. :slight_smile:

This is a pic of the back of the spring cap. Different……init!.

Same output as a clone FT srk when I first got it, about 1700 lumens at just under 4 amps (call it 4). Disappointing that they already have become a c**p shoot.

As said heat is an issue, For a bit of fun tested with a srk driver + another single driver from an external power source, was good and bright but got way too hot with standard set up, needs as others have said copper (a lot).

Pic from post 242:

To the electronics gurus, what do you think adding a third big black thing (guessing it is a FET) would do?

Hey moderator007,

Any update on your upgraded light? I just ordered some 22awg to also upgrade the wiring.

Probably give a minor increase in current. The wires and springs are a limiting factor here, more than the MOSFET RDSon.
Mine might come in next week. I’ll be trying some things, but first I’m putting the emitters on copper. It gives me a chance to turn things off if the current is insanely high. :wink:

Well, I got one, and I had an opportunity to test against my Skyray King (unlabeled copy), both on fully charged Orbtronic 3400’s and it is definitely visually dimmer than the SRK, even the flood/spill edges seem dimmer than the SRK’s. I wouldn’t quite be so disappointed except for the fact Kung also seemed to heat up more than my SRK for a few minutes use, despite producing less output…I’m going to try to be optimistic and view that as positive (conducts to outer later more quickly) and try it out more tonight…but it sure feels like Kung lost all the pow Dale’s posts showed it had. Unless Dale has a poor SRK, I either have a new Kung Fooey, or my SRK is exceptional…

As a side note, I didnt remember my SRK doing so great compared to my J18, but SRK has full battery and my J18 has a couple weeks intermittent use on it…going to have to re-charge and re-test this too to see if I could have a super King (it would explain my SRK overheating to uncomfortable handling temperature problem).

B, which one did you buy? T6 or U2?

PS. Why I gotta have a poor light? Why couldn’t it be you have two poor lights…. LMAO :bigsmile:

With these budget lights, you really can’t compare them unless you go through them and get rid of the usual assembly line issues. Some of these issues can cause high resistance points for electricity and/or heat. One unique thing that I have noticed with the SRK’s is the impact of rinsing off the reflector with distilled water. I don’t know if it’s some kind of weird dust or something that causes the reflectors to absorb light, but it has made a big difference on the 3 I have purchased so far (ebay and wallbuys). SRK = king. I don’t have a kung yet.

Check out the pics …

I finally got time to finish replacing all that small wire in the kung with 22AWG silicone wire and soldered up the springs from the front. I had one that was lose in the negative spring plate. My best current readings with a 87V with factory leads was 5.4amps. So it appears that the current is limited by the driver and not the wires. I think adding a third FET should increase the current about another 2.7amps and I could be wrong, but I don’t have any part numbers on mine. So I don’t know what they are. Hoping texaspyro can shed some light on this driver when he gets his kung. :bigsmile: I would liked to see somewhere around 10 to 12 amps out of this kung. Should be doable with some heat sink upgrades.
Nice pics Sergio thanks for sharing. :wink:

I’ll give credit where credit is due. I’ll fix the post dale, missed the quotation. Thanks. :wink:

I bought the T6 version, and it is less cool than the SRK. That may have caused some bias indoors, I can see the SRK I have is cooler and has some blue/purple in it which would reflect off the white walls better. Outside they seem actually very close, with the Kung having a wider flood, and very close in throw, Kung has a “flowery” appearance with the overlapping edge ring looking somewhat like “petals”…so maybe its a preference for a girls light :wink:

But, it gets too hot on high too fast even while walking (some airflow): 5min in 65 approx degree weather its starting to get hot to hold the head near the switch, it continues to get gradually hotter and I switch to a body only grip and by 13min the head is too hot to hold and touching the head accidentally with the side of my finger is uncomfortable, so I turned it off. And I thought my SRK was bad for heat: SRK takes 3x longer to get to uncomfortable, and by the time 30min is reached I think the voltage drops off enough so it never reaches quite the same heat as Kung. Kung also somehow feels thinner. Neither one is a true “burn” but its uncomfortable and you want to move your hand away or you will be slow roasted.

Tested again with J18 and the same tinting reason as Kung, appears dimmer indoors than it is, I think it is neutral, Kung is probably a cool white, SRK is a cool white near 7000 with blue/purple. Tint differences are significantly different and J18 out outputs and out floods both, as it should. Plus it wont cook my hand.

Great pics SergioE. They pretty much parallel what I saw except my SRK is more blue/purple, appears brighter indoors than yours did and its a little harder to tell the difference outside. So I think either my SRK has slightly more output or my Kung has less output than yours…the difference between them is smaller in any case. Or if Dale’s right, all ours are low output anyways :wink:

But you did make me curious… I pulled them out of my curio. They are basically the same tint… They both have a ‘flowery’ beam profile. The Kung has the larger & brighter beam. I would expect that being its rated for 6500 lumens whereas the king is rated for 2500 lumens.

Your welcome and thank you for reporting back!

I am a little disappointed that the bigger wire did not make much of a difference… I was really hoping it bumped up the amps, knowing this I will probably not replace the wires just yet.

Yeah, the original SRK does seem more blueish even being that it is a U2 bin. As for brightness indoors, the Kung did have a noticeable difference however it did not show as much on the picture. The flashlights were about 5ft away from my sand colored wall.

Well the Kung is 6500 “Chinese lumens” :wink: You definitely must have a different version of SRK or Kung (or both). I know my SRK is pretty good due to comparing it to the J18’s output, but I really expected the Kung to overpower it visually, but tint makes it hard to judge (J18 being much brighter is because J18 is 8000 Chinese lumens too :wink: ). The Kung does seem like its a “thrown together” light though too: driver was loose when I got it, tailcap also loose, and switch sometimes takes a second or so to actually turn on the light…could I have a switch issue guys? It does heat up pretty fast (5mins uncomfortably hot, 13min ungrippable really).

I’ve seen a review of the exact SRK I ordered. I feel safe saying mine is doing around 2200 lumens. My Kung does overpower the King. I hate to make this comment… Could you have gotten a bad one? I went over my light pretty thoroughly. The switch rattles a bit but other than that no real issues. I think many of the light issues stem from this… The China based company’s play it like this… They put out light after light…Not many, but enough to see which will garner interest. When a light ‘hits’ & many people start buying them. The Chinese manufacturers start slapping them together just as fast as they can.From a profit view that’s awesome. But from a quality view it sucks. This is why many of the ‘first run’ lights tend to be superior to later batches. JMHO

P.S. Have you seen the way these things are selling in Ebay? It’s crazy… I imagine the company’s over there are pulling double duty trying to keep up with demand.

Yeah thats what I’m thinking, that maybe my Kung is bad foo. Does yours get really hot fast? I used to think SRK heat was bad but Kung heat is much worse, without producing much more light. I think there has got to be some issue here if other’s Kungs dont heat up very fast…but I use good protected batteries and protection doesnt trip, runtime seems adequate. The only hints I have are fast heating and sometimes when I press the switch it may take a second to actually turn on.