Review: Small Sun ZY-T08 from DX

You’re welcome. That’s a REAL close fit. Focal length is nearly perfect. You can easily remove the emitter base from the pill and put a solid core in the pill to recess the emitter another millimeter or two. Seems almost made to be used in this as a host. Looking forward to seeing your results if you do this. 8)

It is very likely that I will do it, and that’s exactly what I had in mind. ie have someone turn a 1 1/8” copper rod to interference fit, then drill/file the emitter platform myself. Solder the emitter right to the copper and then see what it can throw!

I’ll buy the lens before the light though, since I’ve gotten 1 decent and 1 barely passable lens from about a dozen DX and KD lens purchases…

Although, I wouldn’t mind owning it stock either…

but…………….I’m putting purchases on hold for a bit. I just purchased this 2500 lumen “light” on Sunday. it arrived yesterday 8)

Heh…nice “light”! 8)

Nice review johny, have you noticed how the slim body and lanyard lugs make for a very secure cigar hold?

I agree with you on the reflector too, it works so well, why worry? That huge pill screwing into the well finned head should be more than enough for your average xm-l.

It works very well, especially with the easy switch action. Personally I find the hard edges uncomfortable in a cigar hold and prefer a traditional tactical hold or underhand hold.

Hmm, your PWM observations are different to _the_'s findings. Do you think they changed the driver programming to implement a higher PWM frequency?

No clue. I have no way of actually measuring the exact PWM frequency. I just do the ol’ hand waving in front of the light and seeing how many fingers I see. In this case I see a whole bunch or them compared to other lights which tells me the PWM is faster. I could only compare it to =the='s light if I had it in front of me. I’m not generally sensitive to PWM so I’m not the best at measuring it. I can only go by what I see compared to other lights I have.

Thanks for the awsome in depth review and great pictures! I was curious about this light

If you have a DMM most of them have a setting for measuring PWM. You just hook it up to the emitter wires and have it set to hz.

Really??? Well, the plot thickens…

news to me, too

Yep, my clamp meter does it but I’ve only tested mains frequency so far…

I find a better pwm test is to point it at the pulleys of a running engine and see how they strobe. It’s the only place I notice pwm in actual use.

I checked on my Equus 3320 and I don't have that ability. Looked through the manual and zip. "Most" DMMs have the ability or some have the ability? Any inexpensive DMMs that have it?

Most of scaru's probably. Most of mine, in fact all of my MM/DMM dont have frequency function. Am I too cheap?

I think reality is that most inexpensive DMM do NOT have Hz ability in them. I’m sure Flukes do as well as many others that are considered high-end DMMs. If anyone knows a budget model that does I’d love to know so I can get one.

I bought my Equus thinking I was getting a great deal on a good DMM. I decided to check HF and found that the normal 7 function DMMs I'm used to see and have owned don't have it but 11+ function DMMs do. Looks like I have to get the one they have for $20 so I can measure Hz. Sure would be sweet to have.

Mine was a fairly cheap Ideal brand one and it can measure both hz and duty cycle. It's nice because I can tell both the PWM and what percentage of full it is running at. :D

That’d be nice to have. You have a link to it? Not looking forward to getting one form HF but I would just for measuring Hz as long as it works. :bigsmile:

I think of my craftsman meters does. I have two, paid $12 and$25 (normally $30 and $50). The cheaper one does not.
Unfortunately I can’t be more specific because they’re still out in the barn in a bin (moving sucks).
Very similar to this (which does say it has frequency)
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-multimeter-with-auto-ranging-11-function/p-03482334000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Many UNI-T DMMs have Hz / duty% measuring, like this http://dx.com/p/ut136a-1-9-lcd-digital-multimeter-red-iron-gray-1-x-9v-6e22-battery-113304

As you all may know, I like this light so much that I bought 2. For the money, it’s the best kept secret in XM-L throwers.

Here’s a few shots.

445yds manual exposure 1.4 sec shutter

Same shot but more zoomed in.

120yds manual exposure 1.4 sec

100yds manual exposure 1.4 sec shutter

60yds manual exposure 1.4 sec