Review: Sofirn C8F XPL (Pic Heavy)

I will try!

I haven’t read past the OP and first page so don’t know if this has been mentioned yet or not so I thought I’d mention that Sofirn has the C8F host at their Alie store for $13.21, that is cheap in case your not sure especially for all they are throwing in with the host, plus they say unbranded and I personally like unbranded lights and it comes with DTP MCPCB as shown in picture and answers the question I saw about DTP or not.?

Here’s are the specs from the Sofrin Alie Store page,

Sofrin C8F
Sofirn New C8F triple reflector host 16.5-17mm for driver nice design side switch with DTP MCPCB

ONLY host notice that LED diodes and driver are not included

The following size of LED and driver are suitable for this host:

Without brand logo in the host
Driver:Diameter 16.5- 17mm
Suitable LED 3.5*3.5mm: XPL/ XPL2/XPG/XHP35/XPL-HI/Nichia3535
LED Gasket: 0.5MM thickness

Much appreciated!

This is nice, but please do proper math with unregulated builds, failure to do so can lead to driving emitters at too high currents with fresh or near freshly charged high current cells.

Taking a look at some of Texas_Ace's output tests:

• For an XP-L V5 driven at 3A Vf =≈ 3.46V.
  • For a Nichia 219C 4000K Ra9050 driven at 3A Vf =≈ 3.18V, and it maxes out (6.5A) at ≈3.37V.

Mmm, at least with the stock driver it should work because other parts of the circuit also take their increased current toll, though I can now clearly see why the first version C8F with low Vf XP-G3 emitters and :facepalm: non-DTP board turned out to be a flop.

Know what? An inductor in series with the emitter board would help in limiting current just a little, and remove PWM output nuisances.

Cheers :-)

Apparently, I misunderstood Tracy. There is no Turbo step down bug. Solfirn has tried to replicate the problem I had, but has not happened. It appears that my sample had some type of defect. It seems to be isolated as no one else has reported the same problem. I will update the OP.

Is it possible to fit a single emitter and reflector into C8F host? I would really like to have a side switch version of C8 .

I just asked the 21700 tubes and single led C8F host to be make. Also asked switch tailcap to be sold separately or as a choosable option for side switch C8-s. I hope they will answer soon!

Much obliged :+1:

Hope they will hear what customers want.

Any chance that there will be another coupon code for this light??

Thanks.

Hi Ilmatic. I forwarded your above posting to Sofirn. Tracy said they will create a new code for us and post it in the following thread:

Thanks for your interested in Sofirn light. The coupon code post in this thread.

Thank you!

Sofirn has provided me a replacement light. It turns off automatically at 2.5 minutes after entering Turbo Mode from Off Mode. It appears that my first sample was an isolated case as I have not heard of anyone else having the same issue. Sofirn has told me their engineers could not replicate the issue in their testing. I've updated the OP.

It's so nice to have a working C8F XPL again. My new sample is just as nice as the first sample in every way. The light really needs no performance mods. Only mod I plan on making is connecting the LED's on the side-switch. I'll post the mode once I make it.

On my C8F, if I try to enter moon mode from off, the light first comes on in whatever mode was last memorized and then switches to moon. Is that normal ?

Thanks,
Mike

My unit behaves like that, mikeyx.

Slowly gathering data, I am cooking a review of it. Just need to do away with some interferences…

Cheers ^:)

What a surprise, the Sofirn C8F with a install indictor light in the side switch board, only need to do a little change.

So, I dismantled and looked at the flashlight c8f. You know, this is the best C8 I had in my hands. I want to note: a good selection of modes. Very good brightness, without outputting LEDs to overdrive. An excellent idea with the location of the button on the side, and then the tail power is fed up with people, we need lateral ones , and it’s great that it left such a massive head. The bulkhead where the star lies about 4-5 mm is excellent. A copper star with a direct heat sink is also excellent.

the button’s backlight acts as a beacon. Consumption was about 39 μA, which is quite normal. To illuminate the light-emitting diodes enough that it already approaches the button, only a jumper between the supply lead plus an empty contact is needed.To reduce the current consumption, you can remove one of the LEDs, the consumption will be halved.

39µA, or 39mA?

I probably wouldn’t like the asymmetry, so would just use a resistor instead of jumper…

How big is that side-switch PCB? And silicone cap?

Jackie,

Nice post and mod. Cool that the emitters can be powered right off existing wires. I assumed that one wire went to a pin on the MCU and the other to Ground. Consider putting 100% for the Horizontal Dimension. That way your pics will size to fit whatever screen is being used (e.g. Cellphone, laptop, etc).

The PCB and cap are 12mm and 14mm, respectively. There are some more dimensions in the OP under the "Some Tear Down Shots" section above the pictures for the side switch.

That only works with the Simple Post Editor, which some people like me does not use because of limitations. I prefer to stick to some fixed low enough resolutions (500 - 700 horizontal pixels) which don't break havoc on small devices. If you use a high resolution screen just open the pictures in a new tab and you're full resolution done.

Cheers ^:)