[Review] Sofirn IF30 - Cheapest Flood/Throw Combo

Sofirn IF30 Review – Cheapest Flood/Throw Combo

7 Thanks

Thanks for one more of your great reviews!

Just one note, quoting the review:

At the time of writing it’s $82 from Sofirn’s website with a battery.

Wurkkos has a price of $81.99 right now for their TS32, and that’s before any coupons/quantity discounts etc, so it seems the TS32 right now wins the “Cheapest Flood/Throw Combo” contest by a penny:

Granted, the Sofirn price is with a battery – but read on.

And it uses the more well-known LH351D LEDs (which have CRI>90) in the flood channel, so I guess it wins in that regard too.

Oh, and the TS32 also comes with Anduril :+1: which IMHO (and I believe yours too) is a much better UI than just the “usable and you can get used to it, but it could really use some improvement” one in the Sofirn).

One more point where I see the Sofirn has disappointed you is in its use of a substandard cell (and a hard-to-find – not even listed at http://batteries.parametrek.com/ – and probably expensive 32650 to boot). The Wurkkos price is without batteries, but it uses standard 21700s which everyone probably has a bunch of already – and as they’re connected in parallel and not in series, they don’t even have to be too closely matched to work well.

2 Thanks

Yeah the cell is a deal killer for me… Buying a new light with a known crappy cell that is not easily replaceable with something decent. No thanks! Made even worse as they do not include any kind of adapter.
Screwing around with home made spacing material is just not something I am willing to do.
I agree that the TS32 (that I already have) is a better option for the price. As I got the ones I have on sale for ~20% off the current price, this is even more true. Common cells, comparable output, high CRI, included handle. Hmmmm, not a hard choice.
I have lots of Sofirn lights and several that I really like. I fail to understand their thinking on this offering.

2 Thanks

You and me both, brother! :wink:

Yeah, I don’t have any Sofirns but have been lusting after some of them like the awesome Q8 Plus, which has none of the issues of the IF30. Perhaps there are two departments inside Sofirn, one responsible for the good lights and the other responsible for the rest of them :wink:

2 Thanks

Sofirn basically took the TS32 guts and transplanted to the IF30…and made it worse. I have the TS32 with the Nichia 519A leds and really like it. Wurkkos got it right (albeit with a QC snafu), 3x21700, etc. IF30 would be a tough sell comparatively.

Well, Wurkkos is made by Sofirn, so there’s that. They’re an OEM/ODM for probably several companies.

What is the snafu? Just asking.

A few of the flood LEDs weren’t aligned with the reflector. The handle had some wear marks on it from the factory. Didn’t affect performance though.

TS32 is definitely a great buy, and cheaper if you don’t count the batteries.

It does not use Anduril, BTW. That was discussed a lot in the development thread but Wurkkos decided to use their own UI.

I’m falling out of love with Anduril lately. I’m beginning to be on the “it’s too complicated” side.

4 Thanks

:man_facepalming: You are right, thanks for setting me straight. Just corrected my post above.

I reay like the dual switch UI on lights with multiple lighting modes like the TS32.

I don’t dislike Anduril/Anduril2 since you can set it up how you want especiay the thermal limit, but i really appreciate simple UIs that work. Recently they’re getting better and better.

Yup. Maybe this light was their way of using some extra ts25 parts while trying out the larger (but not better) cell?

Thanks for the review @tactical_grizzly .

Thanks for the review. Think I’ll stick with my Marauder Mini !

There are many new lights coming out now with BIG batteries like this. I welcome the new technology. Its about time.

Got Sofirn IF30 this morning. Tried it with a regular 26650 cell while charging the bigger 32650. And it works; can use the 26650 on IF30. No need to buy additional 32650 cells or another new charger. I have Xtar VC4SL charger which can charge 32650 cell.

Good to know

So you just put some o-rings around it or something?