[Review] Sofirn SC29 - A Sweet EDC with an Interesting TIR Lens

The images in this review belong to Sofirn, and the images are being used with Sofirn’s permission.

I used a program called Topaz Gigapixel AI to improve the image quality.

I received the Sofirn SC29 this week.

The Sofirn SC29 is a sweet EDC with an interesting TIR lens.
The TIR lense is textured somewhat like an orange peel reflector is textured.
The emitter is an XHP50.2
The combination of the textured TIR lens and this emitter provides a very uniform beamshot.
I think a traditional reflector would provide a bit more flood, and maybe even more throw, but then the beamshot wouldn’t be as uniform.
Most flashlight enthusiasts prefer TIR lenses, so I am in the minority with my preference for a traditional reflector, and on top of that I think the difference would be minimal.

The box states that the color temperature is 5700K-6500K.
To me, it looks closer to 5000K, but I regularly think that emitters are warmer than claimed, so I’m probably wrong about the 5000K.
I prefer warm white (about 2700K), but the tint of this flashlight is very nice.
I don’t see any greenish, bluish, or purplish tint.

The mode spacing is perfect.
The UI is also extremely well thought out.
A single click turns the light on or off.
A double click gives you turbo whether the light is on or off.
While in turbo, another double click gives you a very disorienting strobe.
I’m glad that strobe is somewhat hidden because I never use disco modes, but it’s nice to have for others.
From strobe, a single click turns the light off.
If you’re in turbo, a single click returns you to the previous mode.
Triple click from off will lockout the light.
To get out of lockout, do another triple click.
If you’re in a regular mode, then holding down the button cycles low to medium to high somewhat quickly .
I really like that it cycles somewhat quickly.
The speed is perfect for me.
If the light is off, then holding the button for at least 0.5 seconds gives you moonlight.
Moonlight is so low that you might not even notice that the light is on, so don’t accidentally leave your light on moonlight.
Most flashlight enthusiasts like a really low moonlight, and that’s what this flashlight delivers.
The flashlight remembers low, medium, and high modes, but not the other modes, and the memory works perfectly.

The side e-switch is quite large and easy to use.
I don’t think the flashlight would accidentally turn on in my pocket because the button is somewhat recessed.
I really love this large e-switch.
Sofirn did an excellent job designing it, and it feels good tactilely.

The flashlight comes with some accessories.
The manual has a very small font that is tough to read.
I think Sofirn should print their manuals with a much larger font.
The light comes with a super nice clip.
The clip is quite sturdy.
I don’t use clips on flashlights, and luckily removing the clip did not scratch the flashlight at all as far as I can tell.
That’s a nice touch.
The light also comes with a good looking lanyard, and a charging cable.
The charging cable looks like it’s made well, but I will charge my cells in a dedicated charger.
Everything comes is a sturdy box.
The box got moderately damaged (I’m guessing due to shipping) but everything inside the box is fine which is what matters to me.

The flashlight head gets hot on turbo after just 30 seconds, which is to be expected.
Heat is not really an issue on high.
I saw some runtime graphs online, and if you want long sustained runtime, you have to use the medium mode (or lower.)
I mostly use the flashlight on high, which is a reasonable compromise.
Turbo’s brightness is quite impressive, but the brightness doesn’t last even a minute before it steps down.
That’s to be expected for such a compact EDC.

The fit and finish of the flashlight is extremely nice.
There are no sharp edges anywhere.

I really like the Sofirn SC29.
The UI and the e-switch impress me the most.
I also like the mode spacing.
The interesting TIR lens is something I’m sure many people will love.
I wish that the tint were warmer, but that’s a pretty minor complaint (and personal preference.)

You can purchase the Sofirn SC29 from several places, including Sofirn’s website and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CP7BK3FF

THE END

5 Thanks

Why not 30000000 lumens for 4000000 h…

1 Thank

Yeah, the runtimes stated for Turbo and High must include stepdown, so they are completely wrong. :+1:

Emitter 3 - 6 or 12V?

1 Thank

Different form of FC13 or WK15?
if it’s 3V; chances are it’s not regulated… anyone well informed can chime in

2 Thanks

No Software lockout?
:thinking:

1 Thank

Oh, I forgot. :man_facepalming:
Triple click from off will lockout the light.
To get out of lockout, do another triple click. :+1:

2 Thanks

One of the video reviews had some graphs suggesting it might actually be regulated.

Big initial stepdown, however.

Should know more once the more prominent reviewers chime in with their reports.

I suspect this could be Sofirn’s cousin to the TS26, which we’ve been promised will have a regulated driver.

2 Thanks

Nothing new on this light that really covers anything I don’t have, ie, wouldn’t have much actual use for it over what I already have… BUT that optic is intriguing!

Really wish it wasn’t 21700 though. No issues with the battery per se, but the lights are just so big… I miss when 18650 was the “in” big capacity platform and got all the new bells and whistles lol.

2 Thanks

I like it.

1 Thank

I like the look of the button. Looks like the Wurkkos TS11 button, which I really like - probably one of the best side-switches they make

1 Thank

3v emitter. I have one, the MCPCB is screwed down so I just popped the bezel and optic out and checked the voltage from + to - in low mode (~2.4V)

1 Thank

So probably not regulated?

1 Thank

I’d be surprised. If they’re claiming 3000 lumens from 3v XHP50.x it’s probably full-fet for that, but that’s just speculation.
Lower modes could be linear, no idea.

2 Thanks

They left space for imagination ;))

2 Thanks

I just came upon the following thread.
Looks like the SC29 is currently on sale… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Thank

The inconsistent double click behavior ruins this light. Pity.

1 Thank

What’s inconsistent about the double click behavior? :thinking:

One action, two different functions.

Runtime graphs?