[review] Sofirn SP32A v2

Recently received the “Gold” version. My god what a sweet light, ramping speed is fine, lighted switch, beautiful, functional design. It screams out for a quality flashlight case to be included.

Just got gold one. It’s longer than S2+, which surprised me. Also… It’s glued :person_facepalming: Why, Sofirn, whyyyyyy :’(
Number under “hot” symbol is SF18G71.

Tried 2 strap wrenches simultaneously. Any other ideas?

Let it cook on turbo for a while before strapwrenching it?

Let it tailstand so it cooks in its own juices for a while, vs conducting heat away from it by holding it or even with the straps.

I got my new TIRs and wanted to try them in it, but can’t. I lent out my black one (sans glue!) but have to wait to get it back. Well, if I get it back, that is.

I like mine, but the button is a little wonky. It feels like the shutter on my DSLR. I feel a half-press semi-click (as if to focus) push the button a bit harder and the contact is made. Besides that, for the price the light is very nice.

I got my SP32A V2.0 yesterday.I am totally pleased with it in every way!! :wink:

Fit n’ finish perfect, LED centered perfectly…… ALL GOOD! :+1:

I highly recommend this light to anyone.

I got two, and one’s like that and the other’s normal.

Here ya go…

I ended up getting another one of these as well.

The second one has the wonky two-stage click, and the switch function has become kinda wonky as well, sometimes requiring a harder press to register. A light press and you can hear some sort of boot or spacer for the button making noise.

I’ve been thinking about an emitter swap, so I figured this would make it a good candidate for experimentation, and a chance to take it apart and check out/replace the switch, but… it’s glued, and the bezel won’t budge. Inside, I see the driver is glued in, too. Ugh.

I’ve tried the Turbo mode heat soak, and it didn’t work. Maybe the freeze trick? I don’t have any strap wrenches, but do have a propane torch.

Any other suggestions?

And has anyone actually tried CR123As in the light? I may just leave it alone and throw it in the glove box as a possible sacrificial lamb.

Hair dryer and rubber gloves:

Yep, they work fine in it. Had a pair that came with a hotwire NexTorch light, didn’t want them to go to waste, so stuck ’em into the light, and they were just fine, nice’n’bright, too, but dunno if full-spec as with an 18650.

Dang, that’s a lot of glue. How long did you apply heat before trying to loosen it?

What are your plans for it? Sofirn made the XP-L HI star available on their AX store, which was my intention. I’ve learned not to like the tint shift from the XP-L2, and some more throw would be welcome. I guess I could just buy an SP31Av2, but I’d already prefer that the SP32A was shorter.

Good to know.

Hard to say, because I was applying heat for some time then trying to open it. Whole process took ~15 minutes. It is my first light opened with that method.

First I was thinking about 219B, but now also considering OSRAM KW CSLNM1.TG. With ~3A, osram led should make ~750lm. Pretty decent for tube style thrower.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll give it a try. First attempt at a mod!

Huh. Giving up retaining rings and gluing the important stuff in seems a cheap compromise to me.
Too bad. I was thinking of buying several of these since they’ll work with 2x CR123 lithium cells, ideal for longterm emergency kit/car use.
But, glue glue glue. Nope.
Too bad.

Is there measurable passive drain from the illuminated sideswitch?
I assume that can that be turned off by tailcap lockout.

Glue: mine was not glued and could easily be taken apart, but there are many reports of glue
Passive Drain: the illuminated switch is only for battery check IIRC, it’s not on while the light is off. Being an e-switch there will be some drain though. I measured 0.01mA in my review
Lockout: Yup, definitely able to lock-out, at least on my black model

I’ve been looking steadily for lights that use lithium primary cells — which don’t leak and last years in storage — for the earthquake/fire emergency kits. This one seems quite promising.

Ah, California, land of no hurricanes or tornados, but watch out ……

Yep, I was burning down a pair of ’123s just fine. With a TCLO it would make a great SHTF light.

Does it have PWM?

Not that I can tell, but…

SP32A v2.0 does not have PWM, based on my “shine flashlight through portable fan blade” method.

Usually I can detect relatively fast PWM with this method, eg. I can ‘see’ the shimmering effect of flashlights that use Bistro/Biscotti/BLF A6 drivers on their non-Turbo modes.
But on the SP32Av2.0, I can’t detect it on the non-Turbo modes, whether in ‘group’ or in ‘ramping’ modes.

Thanks. I try not to get flashlight that have any pwm. Noticable or not.
You can save a lot this way too. Lol