[Review] Sofirn SP35 - SST40 21700 Buck Driver

Yup. And Sofirn is now sending out 5000 mAh batteries with the SP35 (both versions I think), so runtime will be even longer. I have a lot of lights, but this one ranks up towards the top as far as value and overall usability go. I just wish the 5000K was an option when I got my lights. I see they added that recently. I might have to pick up some bare 5000K LEDs to swap in.

Would you say the longer runtime is mostly because the bigger capacity batteries and not the flashlight?

And between the two, which one you like more?

Nope, it is unrelated to the battery. Even though the new one came with a 5000 mAh battery, I used the original 4000 mAh battery in testing so that it wouldn’t be a factor. I feel the the longer runtime is largely due to the lower output (on average, over the course of the test).

From a safety standpoint, I think the one with ATR is better. If you feel comfortable monitoring temperatures on your own, the non-ATR version will give you more stable and predictable output.

The non atr version graph looks much nicer. If only the oscillation range is much smaller. It’s nearly 350 450 lumen fluctuations.

My non-ATR unit from Amazon, the last of that version’s stock, came with the 5000mAh cell.

If there is to be a v2.0, I’d make the reflector OP, and change to a flat tail cap. Offer tint and body color options as well. And, better (or no) ATR, of course. I also think that the button can feel kind of not great, like noted on TLF, but that might be asking too much.

However, I’ve never gotten the sense that this is a popular light, at least from the level of buzz surrounding it. But, perhaps, that is due to it being more of a tool, rather than something to show off (for short bursts), like the pocket rockets.

I agree, the scalloped profile tail cap sucks, and serves no purpose other than to chafe the palm of my hand. Could also be improved with a rubber switch button a la SC31 Pro/IF25A, etc.. Hate to be nitpicky with such a budget value light, but it's the small things that detract from the overall satisfaction for me. Still love me some Sofirns though.

The more I use this light the more I like it. Its a very simple no-nonsense design.