Review: Solarforce L2i

Yeah, the L2i is fatter so the 3AAA battery holder can fit. A normal P60 clip won't be big enough.

Foy

America - one of my favorite bands of all time. It's funny how when you hear a certain song, you're instantly transported back to a specific time and place. I remember, back in the 70's my brother coming home from the navy and he gave me a bunch of his cassette tapes--one of which was America.

This just gave me an idea for a cool new thread which I will start soon.

cantwaitFoy

Can someone tell me if there will be any problems dropping the MF UF 3-mode XM-L in there? Aluminium foil heatsinking okay? Tailcap amps too high maybe?

Yay, and now I actually know why there is a fat solarforce, its a 3xAAA thing! lol!!

Obviously haven't caught the solarforce bug before

Just wanted to add an update since I've been using the L2i more lately. If you're like me, your collection changes slowly (or quicker) all the time as new hosts, drop-ins, etc. arrive. Everybody has a light that is their current favorite/top dog and the L2P/UF T6 has been my go-to wow light for quite some time. The only torch in my growing collection that comes close to challenging the L2P is this Ultra Fire XM-L/18650 powered L2i.

It has been a real surprise since the L2i was purchased on a lark. Because it was only $8, I didn't take it seriously and it didn't help when I incorrectly assumed an 18650 would not fit. To me, the 3 x AAA configuration has limited appeal but an XM-L hand cannon like this, assembled for just $25 is simply amazing. When people see it, the response is predictable: "how much" and "where can I get one." And, let's not forget that the L2i is not a one-trick-pony when it comes to battery options.

It hasn't knocked the L2P from the top of Foy's list but I definitely like the L2i as well or possibly better than the L2.

updateFoy

Other thing worth mentioning about l2i is that it works with 14500 or AA if battery is wraped in paper to stop the rattle.

My silver l2i is water resistant and sink test has been passed with flying colors. Another thing is that it should provide better cooling for XML since it's bigger than l2.

If you use 18650 batteries with the L2i, do you need a PVC tube to keep it aligned or will it work withouot any other modifications?

It works without modification

I'm really thinking about picking up and L2i and an XM-L. I don't want to go 18650 at the moment, so I'm looking at going 2xcr123a and also use the 3xaaa at times. Has anyone tried the cr123a configuration and if so does it actually fit alright or do I need to go pick up an o ring at a hardware store to stick on the inside of the head so it doesn't tighten all the way down?

Will I need to fashion a tube to hold the cr123's in place and if so what has worked for people? Is there a specific diameter of pvc that has worked?

I see Foy's pics of the P7 on 3xaaa. Has anyone tried an XM-L on 3xaaa and if so how does the output compare to what Foy shows with the P7?

I plan on getting Solarforce XM-L since I want multi-mode and it seems like that is the only cheap multi-mode that supports 6 volts. The ultrafire XM-Ls seem to all be 4.2 volts.

Three AAA alkalines is 4.5 volts so, whatever drop-in will have to work well with that. That P7 is 6 volts max - so that particular drop-in will not be as bright with the 3 x AAA set-up.

IhatecoxFoy

I notice that solarforce-sales raised the price on the L2i to $8.99. Hope that trend does not continue. Also, been using this host with the Ultra Fire 3-mode XM-L drop-in using the three AAA set-up with NiMH. Going to see what run time is like. The ole eyeball test tells me it's nearly as bright as when using an 18650. I can't tell the difference.

wonderwhatelsewentupFoy

You threw me into a panic with the report of a $1 price increase. I had to order another one! I got a black one this time and I cheaped out on the stainless bezel. I’m Foyerizing this one when I get it!
I am really starting to like this L2i model. It just seems to be the perfect size for me. The report from home today was that the grey L2P landed on the doorstep. Hope it doesn’t make me forget my first SolarForce love.

This L2i has turned out to be a huge surprise. I ordered this thing as an afterthought. I figured; $7, if I hate it, no big deal. Now, I'm swapping 3 x AAA for 18650, whatever is charged. I love having a couple of power options. It is honestly, a seriously underrated flashlight and even at $8 has to be the P60 bargain of all time.

L2imeFoy

I ordered a couple of them to gift, with 3 x AAA and XR-E/smooth reflector for nice throw and no overheating/heatsinking issues for noob's.

regular batteries are a plus when gifting a flashlight. No worries, no explanation about Li-on

drat/ dulplicate post

The L2i/3 x AAA/XR-E/SMO is a perfect gift. And, for under $20, the first time the recipient has that substantial guy in thier hand they will think you spent more.

Foy

Thanks for the great review!

I have a quick question about the use of the manafont xml dropin with 3 AAA alkaline batteries.

What will happen? The max voltage for the dropin is 4.2v, and 3 AAAs is 4.5..

Will the driver die? Will it shorten it's life?

So many great torches to buy...so much to learn!

The voltage on the alkalines will sag, so the drop-in shouldn't see 4.5V. The alkalines will supply all the current they can, but it will still be less than the 3A that the Manafont drop-in will want, so it should work, but I think the results will be diappointing. And then the alkalines will probably leak. I don't know that I'd try to run an XM-L even with 3 good NiMH batteries which can supply a higher current than alkalines.

I have a 3-mode Manafont XM-L drop-in that I use to test theories/accepted beliefs and/or things I read that should not be done. Previously, I intentionally dropped 2 fresh Energizer CR123s in one of my L2s with this drop-in and turned it on high. (thread is around here somewhere, maybe I'm getting the details wrong) This same drop-in I recently tested in the L2i with 3 new Duracell alkalines (no apparent immediate issues) followed by trying 3 fully charged Duracell NiMH.

With the rechargeables, if brightness suffered at all it was barely noticeable to my eye and I got about halfway through Stargate: Universe before the light began to dim. I continued to get useful light for another 15 minutes before terminating the test.

Did I hurt anything/compromise the longevity of this drop-in? Can't say. I'll let the experts answer that and just report that this drop-in continues to be exactly as bright as the most recent example I've purchased and so far, seems fine.

Foy