Review: Solarstorm SP03 3*XM-L2 U2 (4*18650

Wow. JM that sucks about your finger. I know that hurt. I hate pinching myself! My handle came off really easy. No lock-tite at all. I do believe that you are right about the handle screw holes being dead ends. I stuck one of my wife’s earring studs into the holes and they do bottom out. You also correct in saying that this light is considerably smaller than the tk75 and much smaller than the BTU.

Awesome review BTW!

Hi manxbuggy1, where did you order your SP03 from without being loctite?

I bought my from soondeal.com

Great review Johnny…

Thanx for this review JM, though a chunk of meat from your finger has to go to make this as thorough as can be. :slight_smile:

The SP03 is definitely in my wishlist. :bigsmile:

For now I won’t get a ‘major’ flashlight yet until I get the BTU Shocker I ordered from Ric which is sitting at our customs office for almost 2 weeks. :expressionless:

Can anyone talk about PWM of the SP03? Is it as bad as the warrior? Thanks

eebowler, I'll try to remember to compare the two again tonight. I can't recall but if my memory is correct it is better. Much better. I was just using my SP03 last night to walk the pooch and noticed that it wasn't half as bad as the Warrior was. The S700 I just got has PWM but it's far faster still and really not noticeable.

Just got mine in the mail this evening. Been playing with all modes in a closet trying to entertain a five-year-old in the game “camp-out on Mars” and I can say for sure that any PWM is unnoticeable. I wouldn’t have even known it.

Will tell more after the walk around the block tonight! :smiley:

anybody have beamshot of this light in the dark? probably comparison with SRK?

I’ll post a few.

I don’t think my buddy Johnny will mind me posting a few photos here.

Solarstorm SP03 XM-L2

110yds

445yds I’ll show you 2 shots at this distance - one not as much zoom and the other more zoom to show detail.

I might add while I was taking the last 2 photos in the field behind the trees on the left side of the road was 2 red foxes chasing a possum that I went and played with. I got within probably 15yds from one of them by shining the light in his eyes while he played with the possum. I scared the crap out of him when I yelled at him.

Here’s an older picture of the TK75 I used to have taken in the winter I believe. So know this light won’t beat the TK75, but for the price it’s a better deal.

Just to update following last night’s walk…

PROS…

• It throws
  • Good build quality
  • Almost not noticeable PWM.
  • The tint and beam profile is super-beautiful, most beautiful of any light I’ve seen!
  • 3 very usable and powerful modes nicely spaced.

CONS…

• Not much brighter than King.
  • My handle ain’t gonna come off!!! No way no how! And the damn thing not only bumps the tops of your hands, but you can’t right-hand carry the light without having the button facing down. The handle really, really sucks!
  • Head-heavy makes the King feel like an EDC.
  • It throws…but it somewhat floods out the target to be lit up, so it shouldn’t be expected to light up the target like a real thrower.

In fairness to the light, the initial 1600 lumen reading you referred to was with mostly drained cells. Fresh cells bangs it up equal to my SRK. :wink:

By golly, you are right!!! I just realized that I hadn’t used the fully charged set I had put aside!

I popped in the Panasonics that were topped off tonight and it’s every bit as bright or brighter!

Tonight was a different experience with this light. Maybe the humidity had something to do with it, but it had neighbors coming outside saying “what the hell is that?” (literally!)

OK, it’s a keeper!

That’s my boy! When you said your SRK was brighter I knew something had to be wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

What a newb mistake on my part! lol

I think this light need to go to Vinhnguyen54 for a XM-L2 dedomed job. That would be so aswesome.

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.