Review: Sunwayman C10R Espresso XM-L U2 (CR123A/16340)

Sunwayman C10R Espresso, XM-L U2 (CR123A/16340)

provided by banggood.com for review
Follow this link to the C10R

Click on the pictures to see them at a bigger size

The Sunwayman C10R is part of a series of 3 musketeers, identical looking flashlights, that came to life in 2012.
The C10R is small and beautiful, Period. Let`s see what this has to offer in the review.
I will keep it crisp and clear, no crazy long stories! Some Show and Tell... you pick if you like this light or not!

These 3 Sunway Musketeers exist of the:

• C20C (18650)
  • C15A (AA/14500)
  • C10R (CR123A/16340)

Trustfire 16340 protected, Eneloop AA, C10R, C15A

First a short overview of what this light is offering:

Brand/model: Sunwayman C10R Espresso
LED: XM-L U2
Working Voltage 0.9-4.2V
Battery CR123A/16340
Switch Side switch
Modes 3 + (hidden strobe + SOS)
Mode changing Side switch: press and hold
Mode memory Yes
Anti-roll Yes
Tail-stand Yes
Lock-out Yes (only electronically)
Momentary On: Yes (but limited, see below)
Coated lens: Yes
Anodizing: HAIII
Reflector: Smooth
Waterproof: IPX8
Shop: www.banggood.com

What`s in the package?:

The C10R comes in a fairly humble and plain box. Nothing really fancy here.
The package includes:

• C10R Espresso Flashlight
  • Holster
  • Lanyard
  • 2 spare O-rings
  • Papers: Manual, warranty card, Sunwayman brochure

Let`s have a closer look, and see the dimensions and weight of this little beauty.

Dimensions and Weight:
Dimensions: C10R without lanyard attachment

• Length: 76mm
  • Diameter head: 25mm
  • Diameter body: 21mm

Weight: C10R without lanyard attachment

• Weight: 54 grams
  • Incl 16340: 73grams

The C10R isn`t one of the smallest, nor the lightest in the CR123A flashlight world.
I really don`t care about this, as I prefer something that feels good, and is easy to operate.
Here a little overview with comparison between 2 other well known CR123A lights.
Not that the lighter and smaller lights are Twisties... (No side switch)

Brand/Model Sunwayman C10R Trustfire Mini01 Olight i1 Eagletac D25C

Length

76mm 61mm 63mm 75mm
Weight 54grams 45grams 22grams 29grams

Compared to the Sunwayman V11R, it`s a little shorter.

A little Closer Up:

Knurling, grooves, tripod mount, and perfectly centered XM-L U2

Handling:

The light is fairly small, but still fits well in the hand.
Due to the nice knurling on the body. And the 2 little grooves on the side of the switch will help finding the switch when its dark in no-time. on the back side, where the Low Battery level indicator is placed, also serves as a anti-roll.
See picture below.
Replacing batteries goes really smooth due to the threads being Square, including some grease.

UI:

• High-Medium-Low (in that order)
  • Main Modes:
    Click and quickly release the side switch to turn the light on in the Main Group Modes.
    This consist of 3 modes, High-Medium-Low, in that order
    When it is turned on, Switch between the 3 modes with a press and Hold..
    When at the desired output, release the switch

• Momentary On:
    Press and hold the side switch to turn the light on in Momentary On (High)
    Because of it being an electronic side switch only, the light can`t be used for morse coding.
    When you click too fast, the light will turn on in Strobe/SOS.

• Blinkies:
    The C10R has 2 blinkies. ;) Strobe and SOS
    Activate Strobe by a Fast Double Click in the Off mode, or in any Main mode
    another Fast Double Click in strobe mode, will bring you to SOS mode.

• Mode Memory:
    Mode memory works instantly. When the light is turned off, the last used mode will be memorized.
    Switching the light on, will bring it back to last used mode.

• Electronic Lock-Out:
    After turning off the light, wait several seconds, then do a quick Press and Release, followed by a Press and Hold
    The light will turn on and off again. Now its in Lock-Out.
    To unlock, you need to do the same, a quick Press and Release, followed by a Press and Hold
    unfortunately the lights can`t be locked out by unscrewing the body from the head, because the threads are unanodized.

NOTE:
The head of both the C15A (AA) and C10R (CR123A) are interchangeable. However, putting the head of the C10R on the C15A body with AA battery, the light will only have 2 modes. High and ultra Low. High is more of a medium, and low is really low, about 1 lumen.

Low Voltage Warning:

When using a 16340 battery, the C10R uses an inbuilt low battery indicator to light up when the battery gets down to 3V.
Using a CR123A this Low Battery indicator will not work, as far as I understood.

Performance:
Measurements were done by using a Trustfire (flame) 16340 battery.
On a full charged 16340 battery, the light ran for a little under 65 minutes until the Low Battery indicator light turned on. At which I stopped the run-time test on High. At this point, the output had decreased a lot.

Please see the following overview of pictures taken during the run-time test on High.
Pictures have intervals of 5 minutes.
The last picture show the Low Voltage indicator.

Amp measurements after 5 seconds:

High: 0.9A
Medium: 0.3A
Low: 0.03A

The C10R uses one of the infamous XM-L U2s which have greenish hues. And this light is no exception.
Fortunately its less green that my C15A.
Fortunately its not so difficult to do an emitter swap, as the bezel is easily removable, as well as the reflector and lens.

Moddible?

Easy access to the emitter. SWM used Thermal grease, so the board is removable after unsoldering the wires.
They used the same emitter as it`s bigger brother the C20C, as you can see in the picture.

It`s also fairly easy to get to the driver..
Just unscrew the plastic disc, and you`ll have access to the driver

Accessories:
The C10R comes with a standard holster.
It has a special lanyard attachment threaded tripod mount.
You can use this to attach the light to any regular tripod.
This feature can be quite handy at times. But you need to have a tripod first ;)

PWM:

There is no PWM noticeable in any mode!

Some more PICS

The Sunway family... Man, Woman, grandparents and children ;)

Some comparison beamshots (urban)

I accidentally touched the tripod, so it move a bit between the 2nd and 3rd shot. But settings are the same, so comparison is still valid!
Compact camera M-mode; f3.3 0.5sec iso400

1. Control shot 2.SWMV11R (max) 2.SWM C10R (High)

Simple Mouse Over:

My thoughts:

The C10R is an excellent little light, that can easily be used as an EDC, but the lack of a keychain attachment could be a negative point for some.
Sunwayman is known for it`s high quality products, and therefore I`m a big fan of SWM lights.
It doesnt feel too small nor slippery.
A few things that could be improved are, that you sometimes enter the Momentary on feature too easily, a second switch would help here. Which is part of the UI which is not my favorite, I would like to add a lower Low, with a short cut, something along the lines of the Olight S15.
Another thing that could be improved is the tint. But the LED can be replaced without too much effort I believe.
Only having a electronic lock-out, without a full mechanical lock-out is also a Con.
I actually prefer lights that use a side switch to also have a tail switch, for powering on and off.
The quality and built of this light is just awesome..
Adding the tripod mount is a nice extra, but not a deal breaker nor deal maker..

Banggood offered to give a special deal on this attractive little light.

Use code: bgf138

to get the light for $35

I love espresso (in coffee) and this espresso also makes me fall in love :slight_smile:
Nice review ChibiM :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks for the review. I’m looking forward to your shots with the V11R as I have this light also.

Hi MrsDnf, do you mean you have the V11R or the C10R?

Hopefully my Small Sun ZYC3, (a clone of this C10R), will arrive soon, so I can compare the 2.

Just added some beamshots..

and some new pictures

Hi ChibiM,

thank you for this fine review and these high quality photographs.
The C10R seems to be a nice little EDC light from SWM available for a nice price.

I wonder if you know the difference between the C10R models ‘Espresso’ and ‘Torpedo’?
Also I would like to know, if your Small Sun has arrived yet?

I stumbled over it 2h ago and I’m very tempted to buy one out of curiosity (and an increasing interest in CR123 style lights).

They were called Torpedo, but that name was already used for another flashlight, so they changed it to Espresso..can you see the connection? Not me..

No, never received the small sun!!! Pity! I wanted to see the comparison.

Banggood said they sent it, but it was never visible in my account, while the swm was visible as a special order.. after asking a few times when they sent the small sun, they never replied..

Thanks again !

I bit the bullet and ordered one ZYC3, I will get back to this thread after it arrived its destination.

Great! Let us know how it compares.

I know ;)

After ordering the Small Sun yesterday, I realised DX sells them too, there are better pictures and even a video on youtube.

The whole lanyard thingy can be screwed out, leaving a giant hole in the flashlights body. S)

Epoxy, glue, or just loctite it!

That’s the plan. :wink:

Maybe I use a dremel tool to get rid of the lanyard hole too, will make it more pocket friendly.

quoted for proof of quote :sushi:

Nice review of a nice little light, Chibi! I was always curious of that model and how they were. I have to say I'm totally envious of your "little" collection of SWM lights :love:

I have recently got a C10R and C20C which are very nice little lights. Must agree though that it has slight greenish tint.

Hi would any one know if the c20c can take C10R Accessory’s like the glass breaking one in review image http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3685/10886597255_86232a89c7.jpg I don’t need to break glass but it looks way more sturdy I’m guessing if screw freds are the same then it should fit?

Nice review. Really cool looking flashlight. In wish it had a heat controlled turbo mode of 1.5 amps and a keychain eyelet. BTW, hi everyone. This is my first post here.

Welcome recDNA.. it's a very good looking light, but tint is greenish, and I don't like the UI so much: press and hold,to switch modes.. and sometimes difficult to turn on.. it will work as a momentary switch when pressed for too long.