Review: Sysmax/NiteCore i2 Charger

Or “forget it” if you’re not from US.

Just received mine form Fasttech, haven’t even tried it yet (where are my batteries, Banggood?) and there’s a new 2014 version.

I ordered one from gearbest, hope it is 2014 version.

I just received my i2 today, it’s not the 2014 model, still has plastic rails which I don’t really mind.
I decide to give it a test run on some Panny 1950mAh NiMH that were around 1.29v. The slot on the left side seem to continue charging after 4 hours to 1.45v without stopping, but the right slot stops charging when it reaches 1.43v. At first I thought it might be a defective battery, but then I switched it to the right slot and it stopped charging after 10 minutes. Is my i2 defective ?

Edit: Seems my i2 is working fine now ! :wink:

I also use my i2 to charge my Eneloops and the 1.43 V seems to be the cut-off voltage. Left it for around 10 more minutes and the voltage was 1.47 volts. Removed it from the charger and the battery was too warm. I still continue using it and so far I did not encounter any issues with it including charging my Li-ions.

Does anyone know if this charger takes variable DC input? I want to attach a foldable solar panel that puts out 18 volts.

Yeah, quality control in 2014 sucks :Sp

So, any more inputs on the 2014 version. I need a good charger, not very expensive that fits Panasonic Protected NCR18650A Rechargeable 3100mAh (69.7mm long!!!)

The nitecore i2 was my choice after reading reviews and lots of opinions… but now it seems the 2014 version is not that good, and probably no longer accepts larger batteries (although at FT they say it takes 70.4 mm long batteries)

any help?

cheers

I have some protected Keepower which fit just fine, mine also doesn’t whine.

I have the same issue with previous gen of i2 too. Supplier did acknowledge this whining sound issue, but it does not affect the performance. Request for exchange if you do not like it.

Edited: 2014 Ver does not accept all models of protected batteries. Some may fit but barely. It will damage the connector if too much force is used.

[quote=DanielM] I have some protected Keepower which fit just fine, mine also doesn't whine. [/quote]

So I must be seeing things

DanielM, thanx for the picture. What’s the lenght of those batteries?

My review of the 2014 version did also include a photo with a protected battery:

It is only the longest protected batteries and some protected 26650 that is a problem.

I don’t have a caliper but Banggood says 68,9mm and my ruler confirms.

You state in your review, that it will take 69.3mm batteries… My panasonic protected 3100mAh are 69.7mm… I guess if I press hard, they will eventually fit, right? Just like my Trustfire (flame) fit in the WF-139 (pushed hard!! - but it works)

Cheers

Exactly.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Comparing with the Xtar WP2 II (2014), I believe there is a little bit more clearance on the i2, since the Xtar can only take 69mm batteries, right? Or are they roughly the same?

Cheers

The WP2 is slightly shorter.

:bigsmile: Thank you very much!

I have the same problem - Pana 3100mAh don´t fit if you don´t “ram” them in.
What is the bright idea to make too short charger?

Second problem is, that some of these are keen in making quite strong HIZZZZ -sound while charging.
Does not give very good first thoughts about quality :frowning: