Review: Tank007 E09 3-mode 1x AAA/10440

Hi Kreisler. Are you really 'inside' with Tank/Dino? My ship date was March 8th. In lieu of the couch, I'm expecting free batteries and diffuser.

"inside Dino" i found something which looks alike, sorry!

no, that picture appears to be right. In line with most of my orders anyway. I order protected 18650s, they send unprotected. I chat with them and they offer me an $8 gift card. I say OK. I order a yellow MP3 speaker, they send pink. I chat and they offer me an $8 gift card. Ok. On and on it goes. But now it stops, I'm tired of all the free stuff. I'll get my free EO9s and light my way to something new...

green lights and blue skies...

Dino has the Pink version now for sale! $15.39

Here are my numbers for the R5 version CNQG is now selling. The 10440 numbers are probably low as the 10440s I have that would work in this light have many, many cycles on them.

Light Battery
Tank007 E09 High Alkaline
Tank007 E09 Med Alkaline
Tank007 E09 Low Alkaline
Tank007 E09 High NiMH
Tank007 E09 Med NiMH
Tank007 E09 Low NiMH
Tank007 E09 High 10440
Tank007 E09 Med 10440
Tank007 E09 Low 10440

appreciate that Don, thanks. Is the difference in lumens on high (73) with Alkaline, vs 109 with a 10440, is that noticeable to the human eye? I believe Kreisler said the difference while running this light on an Eneloop vs a 10440 wasn't great. Just curious, thanks again. Of course I'm not going to be happy until I try it on a 10440

The difference between alkaline and 10440 on high is very clearly noticeable. But it gets warm with the 10440 - though not nearly as hot as my ITP A3 did. I'd not be keen to run a 10440 dry in such a tiny (and low mass) light

The difference between alkaline and NiMH is not noticeable though like most lights, the NiMH will give you more on high for longer.

I must get some decent 10440s - at least one of mine is around five years old and probably has negligible remaining capacity.

Wow, Don, you got your E09 off the PO on a Sat, nice and congrats!!

Thanks a million for your efforts with the extensive grid!! (i guess you're going to add the data to your Google Docs?)

So you can positively confirm that a Cree XP-G R5 is implanted in your unit? :D

i think that's great news! Soon we will have the longer body tubes (V3 production batch) and since swapping of parts is easily done without hardware tools, one could compile its own XP-G R5 torch with full support for Protected 10440's!

Don, how do you like the beam beauty, hotspot size (relative to iTP A3's hotspot size) and how would you describe the tint (on the 3 levels)? -- Are you happy with the beam altogether?

It's a fact then, (your) Tank E09 is brighter on High (Eneloop) than the iTP A3 (your Google Doc doesnt specify the Cree LED of your iTP A3).

I don't have the A3 any more, so can't compare. Wish I did still have it as it was attached to my house keys. From memory, it had an R2 or thereabouts LED in it - this was before anyone had put an XP-G in an AAA light. I can't even remember where I got it from though I think it was Lightake. There was a special offer on it somewhere anyway.

The LED looks like an XP-E to me, the XP-G has four bars of phosphor - but AFAIK XP-E's are available up to R5 bin so I'm not that bothered. Given that it is significantly brighter than the R2 one....

Here's the beam at about 60cm from the ceiling. Ignore the bluish patch - both my cameras add that and I've no idea why.

The beam looks good to me but a millimetre or two more body length would be nice. From memory, the A3 had a bigger hotspot but my memory isn't that good. My A3 numbers say that it was way brighter with a 10440 on high but it also got hot quickly.

Numbers now up on Google Docs.

The bluish patch is a reflection -- the surface isn't perfectly matte, it's a bit shiny. If it were a dusty mirror, you'd see the lighted area of the surface dust, and the image reflecting the emitter where the bluish patch is.

Makes sense - for the first time ever, I've seen it with the naked eye. At first I didn't believe the explanation till I looked closely and saw the bluish spot. It is way past time that I repainted that ceiling. Next time I'll use dead matt white paint.

Nice photos, really. Looks like you broke the insulation layer too (the debris around the LED dome). To me, yours looks like a XP-E and not a XP-G. Might be "R5" but it's not a XP-G R5, i would say.

The tint of your beamshot looks .. unexpected. The tint of my 4 units is equally purplish. (How would you describe your tint? .. please examine the spill area on a white paper/wall, mine is clearly purplish. yet pleasant.)

Your beam looks good, i admit. Lucky you!

I'm certain it is an XP-E. Like you say, I'll need to do something about the insulation.

I'd say that my one is a cool white - quite noticeably cooler than the SST-90 I normally use for dog spotting at night.

The corona does have a purplish tinge though I only notice this on medium and low. It's too bright on high. I am a smoker and the ceiling I use for beamshots is desperately in need of repainting - I think I last painted it around ten years ago. It is now more brown than cream coloured.

I got my tank 007 today... Wow! Loving it!!! 3 Modes on a single 3xaaa and it's brighter than my 4-D stock maglight. LOL!

smoker, you, squirrel lover? just jokin, haha you are aware that smokers are getting frowned upon all over the world in recent times?, poor them! ( it used to be standard human culture in Ireland, England, France, Germany, etc ... and USA maintained the biggest tobacco industry worldwide. and i never minded it in pubs, restaurants or XXX clubs *GGG* )

Sweeet. such testimonials are very helpful for pushing sales thanks!!

Congrats to your new Tank!

Just for the last 37 years. I started just before my 14th birthday.

I will never forget my dentist's face the time I told him that a professor of medicine had just told me I wasn't smoking enough.

Professor Reid (For US readers a professor here is the highest academic rank there is - a person with a chair if that makes sense in the US) smokes at least 2x as much as I do.

Heads up. Manafont has the Tank E09 with the tin case now, and it's also cheaper than dinodirect.

Anyone ordering a E09 should probably order from manafont. They have much better customer service and usually stuff ships out within 24 hours.

Ordering from dinodirect is like playing the Chinese lottery.

Thanks for the heads up aoyue2702!

That is exactly the version which i got from DD a week ago: it's V2.

the top threads are left unanodized, the tail has 3 bores, the body design is minimally changed, etc.

Definitely V2.

The plastic box is probably a thing of the past. The official packaging *is* the tin box! Thanks again!!

I want gungrey, I want one now !

As to regarding V3, is the 10440 support only improvement over V1/V2, how about all the build quality issues that you had, Kreisler, are those addressed in V2 or V3?