Review: ThorFire VG10 New Batch High/Mid/Low/Moonlight

ThorFire VG10 Upgraded Version

★★★★

Price: List Price $69.99

Regular Price $39.99

Sale Price This is now only $29.99, how long it will last I do not know, Buy Now!
http://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-VG10-Tactical-Flashlight-Battery/dp/B00NUPHDG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422828884&sr=8-1&keywords=thorfire+vg10

This ships from Amazon so if you are in the Continental USA, you will get it quick!

table(table#posts).
|Battery|1 X 18650|
|Switch|Tailcap Forward Clicky|
|Modes|High, Med, Low, Moonlight with Memory|
|Lens|Super Clear Glass|
|Tailstands|Yes|

Pros
Nice and Bright
Great Low, Low Moonlight
Small and Lightweight
Nice Tint
Great Clear lens and Smooth Reflector
Good Build and Nice Anodizing
Lockout with 1/8 turn

Cons
Driver Hard to remove
Clip is non reversible

OK folks, Here is the ThorFire VG10 provided to me from Thorfire for review.
This is the Latest Updated Model with a advertised 847 lumen output on High and a Firefly mode listed at <.5 lumen.

BLF member Bort did an excellent review on the previous model that can be found here;
Review of Thorfire VG-10 , so I will be doing a review on the new updates and showing some Beam Shots.
This is a very nice small High Performance 18650 flashlight with very good output, nice thermal management and light weight.
Anodizing is superb and it has a nice feel in the hand.

The biggest changes are a new Smooth Reflector, New Tailcap switch, the loss of strobes and a nice new mode spacing.
It has a very healthy High, Medium is not much lower in visible light even though amperage drops by more than half, a nice .07 amperage true Low, but the real treat here is a very nice usable Moonlight/Firefly.
It a nice soft .00? amp draw low.
That’s right, it measures 0.00 on my meter so it is under the reading capability of this meter.
High mode was quoted by Thorfire at 2.80 amps, I measured 2.76 on a laptop pull so with a better battery 2.8 sounds doable.

This ThorFire produces a nice even beam due to the perfectly centered LED and great reflector.
The old reflector was Orange Peel, this one being Smooth has increased throw.
Now some pictures and thoughts on them.

Nice Smooth Reflector

New tailcap switch. It can take long Protected batteries just fine with the springs at both ends. Less parts than the old version as well.

Amperage readings
High

Medium

Low

Moonlight

Outdoor Beamshots
High

Med

Low

Included Goodies

Sturdy packaging and manual (Note: Manual is old version, so lumen specs are wrong/lower)

The End for now

saved, in progress.

The pocket clip seems to have an odd placing, making the light ride too high but I guess this light would carry better in some kind of holster. Nice light and great review!!!

Hi, nice flashlight and great review. if u want to measure moonlight mode in mA, glad to tell you that, your multimeter is more than capable of measuring it. u just have to go a scale up like 200 m A or even lower if u again get 0.00. working with my light-box and trying to measure till the led go off i get into similar problems reading very low values in current :bigsmile:

Is the head glued?

Thanks for the review.

Shame about that clip placement, it seems it serves little purpose there.

No glue and all the body threads were lubed, the bezel had no lube.
HTH
Thanks,
Keith

Actually it is perfect for attaching to a Baseball cap.
It is currently serving as my EDC and find it also works well in the utility pocket of my work pants being that the head is the widest part of the light, so it makes it easier to remove on demand than if it were reversed.
Hope that makes sense.

HTH
Thanks,
Keith

Thanks nice be am shots

How’s the tint?

Looks like they upped the amps in the driver which is good, whats with the Happy insert?

I would call the tint a Bright white, but not a blistering rip your face off Cold White.
I think in the future they may want to consider a nice Warm White as an option, Wish all makers offered a choice.
HTH
Thanks!
Keith

The original make of this light was the Shadow VG10, of which I’m a happy owner and is still one of my favourite lights.

Great for modding, good heatsink design with an integrated pill. The design still seems to be the exact same as mine from this and Borts review, which leads me to believe it’s exactly the same light with updated driver and emitter.

A word of caution, I’ve discovered over time that it doesn’t like long cells, and it’s damaged a couple of my panasonic 18650 protected cells, it also takes a toll on the driver backplate.

Unless the dimensions have changed, I’d suggest using this light only with unprotected cells.

muto did you managed to remove the driver? if yes how ?

Like this light a lot, very well made. Had to remove the lanyard ring which was causing lockout and the driver modes are backwards but otherwise I really like this light. Very similar externally to a Roche F8.

I received my ThorFire VG10 light from BangGood ($23 w/ promo) after waiting 28 days from ordering (to Ohio, USA). The light’s switch screw retaining ring was loose and the tail switch needed replacing. Luckily they include a spare. After repairs the light is great: medium heft, SS bezel ring, AWESOME moon mode, free decent battery and charger.