Review: TrustFire A8 from Manafont.

Its now under $38 on ebay from this seller and others, all the same dealer I think.

That makes it only about an extra ten bucks for the charger, battery and boxed kit now. Thats tempting, I have been watching this one for some time.

O.k, so with a King Kong at 4.2V I’m getting an AMP reading at 1.35. I think this is an accurate reading for a couple of reasons:

It was advertised at the store as being 600lms (lower than the other xml lights advertised)
It’s not nearly as bright as my JM07 at 2.47A, or my Ultrafire 502b at 2A
The light output I’m getting is consistent with the youtube video I posted earlier

The pack I purchased has a trustfire warrenty, and I’ve met the owners at the store so I’m confident it’s genuine.

Based on other posts with higher amp readings I’d say it depends on where you order it from as it must come with different drivers.

Aside from that, these were my expectations before ordering, and I’m pretty happy with it. I really like the nice floody beam profile, especially now that I’ve modified my reflector with an OP effect. I now have a really nicely built flooder that’s great for cycling and general purposes and has a killer runtime of probably 3 hours + on a King Kong.

Got mine from Hke on ebay free shipping $32.00

$32 with battery and charger? That would be a good deal!

Just the light, extra orings, book, holster, 5day shipped…. And a 100% Trustfire !

Screw what I said earlier, just got an AMP reading of 1.97 of 4.19V from a different King Kong. That’s better!

Price at HKE is now $26.99 with free shipping. They have it set up so you can choose to add one RF Flame (+$11) or battery + charger (+$20).

I must try one :wink:

Yes, $27 from HKE torch only, $38 on ebay with battery and charger in box. Ok so, $11, a buck more than $10 extra for battery and charger

I still think the ebay deal is the better value considering what you get for a bit more than ten bucks extra

Thanks for the tips guys :slight_smile:

Damn bastards…….

Has anyone driver-modded this yet with success?

Nice review benckie, thanks! I like the form, seems like not at all too big to EDC as compared to Your L2P.

Body is small, very hot…

Thanks for this review!

I changed driver to AMC7135*8 ( Nanjg 105C ), that I purchased from intl-outdoor .
Working great so far and definitely gives more juice from led ( also no-more strobo mods… wohoo ). Throws much better and beam is brighter. I did took some beamshot photos after driver change. I forgot to take “before” photos, sorry.

That tree is about 45m away.

LOW ( spot at tree was visible irl )

MEDIUM

HIGH

Welcome to BLF kahvitahra ! Thanks for the beamshots!

Your post reminded me to Google around and see what prices for the A8 & A 8kit are running. Well I found the kit for $36.99 from Keygos.com! Great deal!

-Garry

I have the kit, purchased from FancyFlashlights. Funny thing: charger works just fine for the supplied TrustFire Flame 5000, which is a protected cell. Charges in 2-3 hours, 4.22 each time. I've used the same charger for my King Kong unprotected cells a few times and both the battery and charger get pretty warm. Needless to say, I am no longer using this charger for the KK.

Anyone else having an issue with the charger?

Thanks Garry!

That surely is a great deal. I will definitely buy one as a gift for that price.

:bigsmile: Very happy with the TF A8 from go_market.

Did not come with a gift case, but in brown cardboard box. And that's fine with me.

Have not fully discharged the TF26650, thus no verdict on the battery.

On fully charged got 2.8A tail cap current!!! :D

Took it for a spin tonight and it's great on the bike. The right balance between throw and flood.

Only had it once cut-out on me after about 8 min's into my ride. Started up again after about 10 min :~

Will have to figure out if this was a one time incident. Temp was around 2 °C and the light did not feel warm.

After 25 min run time it took about 1.35 Ah charge.

Have it now as a room light and it gets comfortably warm, but not hot.

Have Fun :hat:

:exmark:

OK it's a budget light and lacking quality control is to be expected. For the 2nd time I wanted to turn on the A8 and it did not respond. I also had noticed that it wobbled a bit while tail standing.

Thus I scrutinized the clickie.

It was hard to get out. But as it turned out, it had been screwed in too far and therefore the rubber cap was sticking out beyond the tail ring. This was the reason for the unstable tail stand.

The white insulation ring was too tall and prevented the aluminium retaining ring to make contact with the PCB. Sanding down the white plastic ring resolved the contact problem.

And assembling all properly, resolved the wobbling.

All is good now :bigsmile:

Have fun :hat:

Thanks for the mod report kahvitahra! Now I’m really looking forward getting the Rey’s 3-mode high PWM NW version of this light…

And: Welcome to BLF! You’ll love being here! :slight_smile: