Review: Trustfire Mini-01

I have a Mini-01 on the way. Im looking forward to giving this soem test runs. :smiley:

I first saw this light a couple months ago and it’s been on my mind ever since. Then I saw it again this week and I’ve been drooling over it and have REALLY been wanting a 1*16340 light so I just pulled the trigger on a Mini-01 and 2 AW IMR16340’s…

Can’t wait!!!

It’s a barn burner, especially with those imr! Be sure to charge them frequently and if the light dims change the battery. It’s easy to over-disharge and ruin them. Have fun!

TrustFire Mini-01 on FastTech for below $14 with coupon (BLF) with battery !!

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10003622/1264800-trustfire-mini-01-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-280lm-led-fl

BLF mini is only couple of $ more. There are still about 20 left from second batch.

Just saying..

Better modes, no strobe, high PWM, and NW emitter for only $3.5 more :)

Check this thread:

I just recieved my Mini-01 today. Its a great little light. Mine came with grease on the threads ! and for its size its bright. No scratches, its polished to a mirror Stainless finish. Got it for 14 bucks. :slight_smile:

Just received my Mini-01 and 2 AW IMR 16340’s yesterday. I got the Mini-01 on eBay for $15 shipped (took 10 days, not bad).

It arrived in perfect condition, no scratches or anything, no dust on lens or reflector, emitter perfectly centered. There were some metal shavings on the threads but once I got them cleaned up and put some grease on there, operation is quite smooth.

This thing is RIDICULOUS on high. Right up against a wall it looks nearly identical in brightness to my Nitecore EA4 Pioneer on Turbo (860lm) and my vinhnguyen54 4.53A XM-L T6 P60 drop-in which is in the neighborhood of 800 lumens. It lights up my whole backyard on high and is genuinely difficult to comprehend how so much light comes from such a tiny light; but it’s at the expense of runtime and incredible heat produced quickly. The low is a perfect level though for nearly any task; my guess is that it’s 60-100 lumens and runtime shouldn’t be too abysmal using the “low” mode primarily.

My modes seem to work fine and as I would expect, although the on-off-on motion to switch levels must be done quite quickly. Every time I turn the light on it comes on at “high” and if I turn it off for a second and back on, it’s still on “high”; to get the levels to change I have to cycle it off and back on very quickly (<0.5 seconds I would guess). I actually don’t mind it except it is hard with one hand, but I don’t mind using two hands.

Although the tint is on the cool side, it’s perfectly acceptable and much less “blue” than my iTP A3 which it is replacing on my keychain.

Obviously there’s room for improvement in this thing in terms of the “UI” and tint but I’m SO FREAKING HAPPY for $15, I think I might have to get some more CR123 sized lights but I have a feeling they’ll all pale in comparison with the high mode.

Does anyone know of a quality brand name single CR123 light with multiple levels that is direct driven on high with an XM-L?
I would just love to have the option of the ridiculous punch of a direct driven XM-L from an IMR cell but with the practicality of multiple brightness levels. Please don’t direct me to the BLF Mini though as I fear the greenness everyone has complained about.

Thanks!

Does anyone here have a Trustfire Mini-02 ? I’m just wondering how it compares to the mini-01.

I ordered a Mini-02 from Fasttech yesterday, going by the specs and photos it looks to be a little bit longer (67 mm vs 61mm), rated at 480LM instead of 280LM and has a smooth reflector vs the textured reflector on the 01. Is it a new updated model to the 01 or something?

I have the Mini-01 now, and have the Mini-02 order. :slight_smile:

Not updated, just a bit different. See comparison here.

BTW: You could have bought it with great modes & PWM + NW emitter from Rey's group buy. (The light uses the same driver as BLF Mini-01 => modes were designed & tested by us. Highly recomended!)

Hi guys, just ordered the mini 01 and 02. Should be here with a week or two.

Question, to get the max brightness out of these lights, what RCR’s should I buy? I get quite confused when it comes to protected vs non protected, volts, mah, etc, if you would, give me your recommendation to get the max lumens out of these lil guys, thx!!!

Get AW 16340 IMR for max brightness, they are however non-protected… or else… hmm YEZL 16340 or Trustfire?

Be careful with non protected because the driver will deplete them very fast and as it is designed for 3V batteries you may not notice until it is too late…

The best battery is the nitecore 16340 protected…

Anyone removed the driver? it is kind of glued in in mine, the stock LED wire is very thin and should be upgraded.

What is the lumen output difference between protected and non?

I just ordered some IMR 16340 from that AW guy on cpfmarketplace… also some 14500 for my other light

Is this a good charger: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1119500

along with these batteries: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1134001 , http://www.fasttech.com/product/1156500

Also, is the lumen output less with protected batteries?

The trustfire batteries are crap.
The charger and the nitecore battey will make you happy for a long time.

So I bought both the mini 1 & 2. The mini 2 claims 480 lumens while the mini 1 claims 280, is that true?

Everything came in today. Mini 1 & 2. Nitecore rcr and aw imr. It appears that both are just about equally bright with all batteries tested even though the mini 2 claims 480lumens whereas mini 1 states 280lumens. I think they both clock in at 480 or so with the rcr or imr… With cr123as they are both considerably less bright.

So since the aw imr does not increase brightness there would be no reason to use this battery over the protected RCR’s correct?

In the end, since they are roughly the same brightness, I like the mini 1 a little better. It looks nice and is plenty bright for $13 and is a wee bit shorter in length. Really nice small keychain light for brightness, look and price!