[Review] ultra futuristic LOOP GEAR SK-03 Pro EDC flashlight with a super innovative multi-functional clip.

My review of the ultra futuristic LOOP GEAR SK-03 Pro EDC flashlight with a super innovative multi-functional clip.

3 Thanks

Cool looking light for sure but that clip?

Seems to command a premium and has fitment issues.

I’ve just ordered the SS version having found out that they’re available from Flashaholics. I didn’t get the fancy clip though, technically that’s a locking blade so I can’t carry it and it’s rare that I need a bottle opener.

Ah, the company that made me change my youtube name.

That sucks if you had the name first.

I’d been eyeing up the SK03 since I saw it but didn’t fancy getting one from overseas if I could avoid it.

No they did, I happily shortened it to Flashaholic but still had the impression they weren’t impressed.

The multifunction clip is cool (real damascus steel utility blade) and works fine, but ruined the original o ring becsuse there was NO manual included with my test light and I installed it wrong. Its aupposed to only go one way, and it does but you need to remove the o ring from the tube beforehand. Loop has special o rings to use with the clip that weren’t included (they sent later).

This is a cool light, but needs to mature a bit more.

I can’t read the text in the manual, it’s way too small again.

Indeed! I ended up using a magnifier.

Thanks for the review, and congrats for your YT channel, is my n1 favourite

1 Thank

Thanks, glad it’s of use!

1 Thank

I looked at this light for about 20 seconds. Then I turned the page. Its a true joke of a light.

No offense to the people that own it.

Care to elaborate?

Well, I like it mostly. It’s really versatile and I like the side lights a lot. The design is also really cool. The multifunction tool is cool also, and adds usefulness. The limit on mine is the Ti host so thermals aren’t great, but the AL vereion should be good as anything from Sofirn, Skilhunt. Plus no Anduril, which I like (pthers don’t). I think it can benefit from refinements and its 100% more useful than the SK01 I tested.

A light with a can opener built in?

Interesting light.

8 clicks to activate electronic lockout is a bit much though.

Not quite, it’s a light with an optional additional accessory that includes a bottle opener. It’s also worth mentioning that I suspect the inclusion of the bottle opener was a bit of an afterthought when they realised that they could easily put one in the back of the knife blade and provide an additional tool.

Personally I felt that the tool add-on was expensive and likely to be of limited usefulness to me so I opted not to buy the add-on and received the light with a normal two-way pocket-clip.

Mine’s the stainless steel version. the finish is lovely, it’s a sort of satin polish, so it’s not a fingerprint magnet but is shinier than if it was brushed. Of course the SS light is heavy and the thermals won’t be as good as the aluminium version, but as I intend to mostly use it indoors on low settings that’s not really a problem.

The tail-switch feels really nice and makes a satisfying “thock” when activated. It’s quite firm and as I use the pocket clip for carry it’s unlikely to activate accidentally. Lock-out is a bit awkward, as the SS version has no anodisation you can’t mechanically lock it with the tail-cap and electronic lock-out is eight clicks. Personally I don’t use lock-out so for me it’s not a problem, but it is something to be aware of.

I like the UI: click for on / off, hold when on cycles low - med - high. Hold then release from off activates the side lights, holding for longer than one second is enough. Once they’re on, the same action cycles them low - high - beacon and click turns them off. Double click gives you turbo, triple click strobe. Both the main emitter and side lights have memory. For my purposes, both are left in low.

The main emitter on mine is cool white, low CRI and not horrid. It’s OK. The side lights are warm white and appear to be high CRI, they give nice 360 degree light. I love the “e-trit” feature, four clicks switches the side-lights on in ultra-low mode, this is so low that it’s almost invisible except at night where it’s enough light to easily find it in the dark. Loop claims two years’ run time on this level, so no worries about leaving it on. Unfortunately this feature only works with Li-Ion and not NiMH. Other side-light functionality is fine with NiMH.

One thing I do not like is the threads for the tail-cap, these are, in my opinion, too fine and too shallow. This makes replacing the cap fiddly as it’s difficult to get the threads started. Removing the pocket clip helps, but this is inconvenient in itself.

Size. (almost the same size as a Zebra SC53)
Side-LEDS.
Satisfying switch.
Glowy thing in the head.
Dual-fuel capability.

Not so much:
Lock-out is awkward. (Not a problem for me personally, but worth mentioning)
No moonlight mode. (Side LEDs on low are nice though)
“e-trit” feature is Li-Ion dependent.
Mode memory on main emitter.
Tail-cap threads.

That is really cool light and if runtime is really 2 years for 0,1 lumen side light, that just WOW… if they tried that :smiley: That multifunctional pocket clip looks great, but 60 USD for that… more cool EDC gear, higher price :smiley:

They are going to redesign the light after my feedback.