Review: Ultrafire UF-H2 Infinitely Variable 1xAA Headlamp

Nice eh?

so is the uf-h3, the 18650 version of this light, much brighter or have a longer runtime?

i'm wondering if maybe i should get the uf-h2 instead...

There is a post in Forolinternas about the H3. Is a bit brighter and has almost the triple of runtime. Anyway, it is not well heatsinked, the same as this one. The owner dismantled it and put a piece of copper as a heatsink behind the led.

It's not easy to decide which one choose, it depends on what you need:

H3: bigger, longer runtime, 18650 batteries (doesn't turn on with one or even two AA in series).

H2: smaller, shorter runtime, easy to find AA batteries.

See the photo that I posted for size comparison. Size difference is minimal considering the capacity and size difference of the 18650:)

Yes, I've seen. So the main thing to consider is if you prefer runtime or easy-to-find batteries.

I would definitely reccommend the UF-H2. The runtime is still incredible, although obviously not as much as the 18650 version.

Mine arrived today.

Very small, quite bright. And surprise: more testing is needed, but it seems to have mode memory.No quick way to full bright nor ultra low, but I'm very impressed. To the flicker sensitive: PWM is not that fast.

I can see it in my pocket for a long time...

I guess I can get one for my brother in law to use while working at night. Should get a good credit from the wife :)

Shortcut to full bright... hold the button longer from off status or do a lockout with the tailcap.

Vectrex, the shortcut works in my light. Thanks for the tip!!!

Last light I skipped the testing (this means that I threw a 14500 inside it before using a Ni-MH and never measured the current) and started using the UF-H2B bought at manafont. So far it is a reliable low/flood (walk inside the house) light. No need for more power, very comfortable.

When in low mode (as low as I could get it, not the lowest low), if the light is moving (I am walking, the walls are fixed) the PWM doesn't bother me. It something moves the PWM works as a strobe light. I think it's kind of cool...

When in high mode it's very nice as a headlamp. Again used inside the house. In total (including reading in bed) it must have been used for about one hour. No smells, no flickering other than the normal PWM. My SOS is so slow that I use it as a temporary high mode... In this way I find it VERY useful.

My wish - remove the SOS and make it a shortcut for a second infinitely variable mode.

The impression that it will stay in my pocket for a long time remains.

Thanks Vectrex! Your trick works great with mine and now its so much easier to use. I use it mostly in high mode so thats perfect for me.

Thanks Vectrex for the tip!

Now I want a tip for a shortcut to the lowest mode. :)

Dang, that does work great! Another thanks from me Vectrex!

When I find something, I'll let you know.... but I fear there is none. Ramping is great but without shortcuts it is annoying sometimes... I wish all my lights had the Zebralight UI.

Bordering on off topic....

I never used one, but as far as I know the original D10 UI is about perfect. Ramping with shortcuts to low and high. Is there a similar UI on the market now? AFAIK, there is none, not even from Nitecore... That is why I bought the UF-H2b. The closer I could get...

I think that a single half a second on the lowest low would do wonders for the H2 UI....

The Sunwayman V10A is pretty good with the selector ring and ramping but the selector ring adds width and length.

Thanks for the tip, it works on all UF-HX models with the ramping UI, even the new UF-H4.

So does anyone have one that takes both aa/ 14500 or are they one or the other only.

Mine from manafont takes both just fine