Review: Uniquefire AA-S1 OSRAM 1xAA

Hello there, yes, the KD picture is just bad. The DX pictures look almost identical to my sample from KD. Compared with the Akoray K-106, the AA-S1 is a tiny bit more silvery in color.

I have been using this light again with my new rechargeable batteries. Let me just reiterate once again that the beam quality of this light is absolutely top-notch. Wonderfully smooth, warm, usable light from the center all the way out to the edge of the aura. It really doesn't even have a hotspot to speak of, just a large, amazingly uniform blotch of warm, inviting, very bright light. Just a pity that they don't offer a multi-mode version. If they made a 3-mode version of the AA-S1 with a nice low moonlight mode I would have no need for any other flashlight. Hats off to OSRAM for a great product, and a poke in the ribs to Uniquefire to please give us a multi-mode version that doesn't sap the batteries so much.

Now are'nt you glad that you went the rechargeable route......nice to know that you leave the house with a fresh charge and not have to guess when using alkies.

http://www.jayki.com/11287

Hi guys! I need urgent info!

The contacts to the battery of the AA-S1 is like the akoray k-106 3 mode, which has a plastic with a metal dot in the middle (positive contact) or is like the F20?

Is easy to change driver or is epoxied inside the pill?

An image is more then 1000 words.

The AA-S1 is like the LEFT or like the RIGHT?

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2051/img5231medium.jpg

Thanks!

Mine is like the left in the image

Thanks nautic! and the other owners... are the same? specially the firsts batches?

I have a first batch one at home and will check it tonight. Ordered on the day DX announced it - the order was at the end of October 2009.

The usual two blobs of solder handling conduction duties, same as the left-hand on in the picture. The pill is made of very light aluminium in my one so you'll need to take care not to crush it. The LED is recessed - like you say a picture is worth more than a thousand words, so...

The Pill

Front of the pill and LED. Makes me wonder how well an R5 would work with that reflector...

To show how deep inside the structure the LED is

Thanks Don!

The pil is exactly the same than TF F20. So the driver must be 15mm diammeter...

Also the Q5 in the F20 is very deep. Also it uses a black star for the Osram, equal than the F20 for the Q5

And as I can see, the board is not epoxied inside the plastic thing as the akoray k-106 3 mode. Very good, is easy replaceable

I have ordered one AA-S1, hope this time is in stock. I ordered in June-July but had to cancel after 15 days waiting. DX told me that no stock available and they dont knew when will be available. Now I see another stock arrived, but probably sold out too. And less quality than earlier batches......

Thanks a lot Don!

I don't know if it's lower quality, mine is quite decent.

The main problem with the light is that the the reflector is obviously for a cree or something and te emitter pcb has no mechanical guide for centering. So combine a wrong pattern with an somewhat offset one and the beam is just dispersed.

I tried to buy a different smooth reflector on DX, but as usual the sku 05960 I got is different from the pics and no way it's fitting.

My board is white! Under it is some white stuff, probably some heatsink compound.

Its not solid but not fluid either, rather soft when poking in it.

But dont think of changing the pill. Its very bright for such a small light. As you see in

Dons splendid lumenssheet the light is one of the brightest at least in relation to size.

Driver change maybe if you want high mid lo, which would be nice.

OMG! Guys this time I have been lucky!

The AA-S1 I ordered on 30 Sept has shipped today!

Woaahhh!!! this time yes! I will have one if it does not get stolen by the postmans....

When it gets there put a 14500 battery in it and be amazed!

jejeje

HOPE that. Because I am jinxed. Perhaps I put a 14500 in it and the driver POOFFF as happened on the F20. (still the replacement not arrived)

Yes I purchased the AA-S1 because that, the incredible power on 14500. Hope my unit is good as the first batches

Same here mate but mine were ordered the 28 of september. :) DX that is.

I should get a few 14500 at least for the sake to try them. So far the only li-ion i used are 18650 and 18700 (which are actually the same thing if perhaps 1mm longer)

Tell us how these new batches of AA-S1 perform when you guys get them.

No problem I will do. However, I espect bad quality and less power than earlier ones

I hope that is not the case.

Hi guys!

I am thinking into converting the AAS1 in to xpg-r5.

I want more flood than throw, so I think that OP reflector + xpg will fit my needs... But....

What will be more flood? the AAS1 with the original OSRAM in it.... OR the AAS1 modded to xpg-r5 with a 1A driver?