Review: Wurkkos TS25 updated with Production Model Aux info

neb_77

Nice to read your post, finally, someone who needs a flashlight
for practical reasons! Not to collect, not for geeking, not
for lumens, not for looks, not for specs and not for modding,
but because the job needs light.

Sofirm asked me, why do you need a magnet cap? Other vendors are
surprised when lumens, throw and bright hotspots are downplayed.
One common refrain, “What do you want?

The focus on big lumens, long distances, titanium builds and
military posturing often have very little practical impact;
when working on a CNS machine or reading in bed.

BLF has been helpful, for example, in reaching you. but limited.
The technology framework is built for social threading, “what
movie did you watch last night,” sales events and headline activity;
at the expense of; search, common interests and best practices.

BLF is overwhelmingly focused on the hobby, design, mod and in
developing social dynamics, which clearly serves a need. The overlap
with engineering threads can be helpful but requires time to plow
through. Great for flashlight geeks - not so much for tool and
job based needs.

Would have been more appropriate to post this in an open thread
but, am far more interested in knowing models have “worked”
well for you and those which you are considering?

Update, first impressions

I received the Production TS25 and tested the Red Aux drain. There are now two brightness levels, a flashing mode, and off.

The TS25 power button does not have any locator light while off, nor while on. This makes me sad, hopefully someone can build a hex to turn the button locator light on, since there are now 3 flashing pads.

I physically confirmed that the flashing adapter that gchart sells for SP10 Pro, fits the TS25 perfectly.

The TS25 power button does not turn on in red or green the way the prototype did. I dont mind, since Im used to using normal Anduril battery check, 3C from off.

afaict so far
In the production model the only time the button light turns on, is during charging, it blinks blue… charging is not finished, so I cant confirm what the button LED does then, yet.

charging finished, the button light became solid blue. A few more updated details:

Sadly the button LED cannot be enabled with a firmware update because it’s probably not connected to the MCU that runs Anduril. Wurkkos had some difficulties figuring out how to wire everything and how to configure the firmware, I didn’t have the firmware they used previously and with many people involved the production started without this feature.

thanks for your insights… oh well… This production model is a definite improvement, glass lens, hi/low Aux, pocket clip.

I also think it is great that it ships w 5000K 519, and that the bezel is relatively easy to open. So people not set up for modding, still have the option to learn to dedome if they want to change to warmer output.

The lack of button indicator is too bad, but hopefully Wurkkos is learning more about how to improve their product offerings.

I tested the low red Aux last night by my bed. They are visible, and not too bright, when the room is dark. imo they could actually be brighter by about 4x, not sure exactly. But I would not expect any more changes at this point. This production model is probably the final iteration…

I do like the form factor, and the tailmagnet is useful for holding the light in various places around the house, top of fridge, under a cabinet… etc. The optic produces a nice smooth diffused beam that is good as a work light, and close range floody beam, without hotspot glare.

The built in charging is also convenient, and many newbies ask for that feature lately. It means it is not necessary to buy a charger, if this is an entry level LiIon light for someone that is not set up to charge LiIon separately.

The built in charging creates options to gift the light as a complete turnkey package, that does not require opening the light to maintain the battery.

Overall I would say the TS25 is a convenient package, with great primary LEDs. The Aux are fun, but do not serve as secondary illumination. Because the aux are blocked by the Tir, the beam they produce cannot be used for practical applications, such as seeing the ground for walking. Otoh, they make some pretty multi petaled mandalas, for disco parties :wink:

With the given currents for the aux LEDs the durations for the battery to drain are wrong. Assuming a 5000mAh 21700:

5000mAh/.27mA = 18519h = 772 days = 2.11 years
5000mAh/11mA = 455h = 19 days
5000mAh/7.4mA = 675h = 28 days

Edit: I think you first calculated for a month, but forgot to divide by a factor ca. 30 (days in a month), then calculated the first one dividing by 12 to get years, as all are the same factor ca. 30 off.

You are right! Thanks for helping me do the math correctly,.

I updated the photos w correct drain times

How is the current draw for disco light?