[REVIEW] XTAR rechargeable 1.5v AA Kit & Comparison to TENAVOLTS Rechargeable 1.5v AA Kit

I ran some tests on the newest iteration of the Xtar AA 1.5 volt cells.

post #46 and on. Thought it may be of some value to this thread.

My conclusion: Unless you have some device that is very sensitive to voltage, I struggle to see the value of this kind of cell. They are expensive! The capacity is not remarkable (VS NiMh). They take a dedicated charger (which is pretty slow) . They have a relatively high self discharge rate. So other than something that just can’t work with NiMh, why use them?
If I am missing something, I would really like to read what that is. Please comment.

NiMH cells do not work well in every device.
Alkaleaks may work only for a short duration in these devices.
Alkaleaks are not rechargeable.
Lithium primaries are expensive and also not rechargeable.
NiMH and Alkaleaks perform even worse in cold weather.

There are clear use cases for these cells. You’ll know if you need them. Some devices get terrible battery life on alkaleaks or NiMH. 1.5V rechargeable liion cells will solve the problem and are a much better value than Lithium primaries which are not rechargeable.

1 Thank

Thanks. In my use case, after considering everything that you mention, I still fin limited application for this kind of cell.
I am sure that there are situations that they fit well just none that I personally see.

Value is relative. Time and aggravation come into the picture, for me anyway. But , yeah, that is a personal problem… :japanese_ogre:

And yes, for voltage sensitive devices, these could be the best option. (If one has any of that kind of device). What if that is not a consideration?

True, but not as expensive as these, and no dedicated charger required. I wonder how many cycles these are really good for.
With the relatively high self discharge, you also need to top them off regularly. The Lithium AAs have a 10 year shelf life!

I had thought to use them in remote sensors for my weather station. They are older units and shut down quickly on NiMh cells. I am pretty sure it is a voltage problem rather than capacity. SO they should be a good fit. The problem is that longevity is of primary concern for these. Some are a PIA to get to. Replacing the cells means removing five tiny screws that love to get lost and positioning a waterproof gasket just right. The main unit takes 4 AAs. Yes I have been using the Energizer Lithium cells. Yes they are expensive, But they give me 10 to 12 months of use. I got a set of these Xtar cells with the hope of replacing those, but after testing I am certain they will not give me the time in service that I need/want. Too low a capacity and too high self discharge. They would work OK if the time in service was not an issue. Though having two sets to insure continuity would be like ~$50. I can buy a bunch of Energizer Lithiums for that. (Yeah, I get it, throw away, not good!)

So I was wondering if anyone had any specifics for something that they would find them suitable for. As long as I have them, I would like to figure out a good use for them. For everything other than the sensors that I use AAs in NiMh are just fine.

I have a motorized house door lock that doesn’t work properly on NiMH and in the winter time it doesn’t work very well on alkaleaks either. These 1.5V liion batteries are a good solution for that device.

Rechargeable 1.5V liion cells can be used in devices and situations where disposable lithium primary cells (1.5V) are more or less required.