Review: XTAR VX4 Visible Mixer (4-bay basic analyzing including 1.5V Li-ion)

The XTAR Visible Mixer VX4 Charger is the first analyzing charger that can charge both 1.5V and standard 3.6V/3.7V Li-ion batteries, as well as NiMH and LiFePO4 batteries. This detailed review takes a look at this 4-bay charger’s features and ease of use.

4 Thanks

Good conclusion, I agree with most Positives and Negatives.

Not sure why ppl like %, doesn´t help me a lot to imagine the current state.

To bad Xtar don´t use state-LEDs for the VX4, the LEDs of the VP4 Plus Dragon are very good visible.

1 Thank

I find % charged useful as a rough guide on charging status (I quite often pull batteries from my S4+ at 90% charge. But as we all know % charged is not entirely accurate. The VX4 is a fantastic consumer orientated charger that I would recommend to non-experts requiring a high quality charger. For enthusiasts and experts, there are better options.

1 Thank

For me is the voltage the better option, but for ppl who are not so familar with the typical voltages of the different cell-chemistries are maybe % better.

But there´s one thing with this charger which are not so good for Non-experts. I think like the VC4SL it will start with highest charge current which is available. I know that it´s sensitive about the IR but for Non-experts it´s maybe better if the default charge current is lower

I think the current control could be argued both ways. The way it is designed is very consumer orientated to reduce the amount of user Input required. It seems to do a very good job of automatically limiting current on smaller batteries or batteries with higher internal resistance. Personally, I prefer manual control with default low currents, but enthusiasts/experts are not really the target audience for this charger. Based on traffic to my website reviews of other chargers I would estimate that 90% of the charger market is non-enthusiast.

1 Thank

Not sure if small cells always have higher IR, I´m generally sceptical of automatic chargers, so maybe I´m an enthusiast :wink:

1 Thank

Am I correct in understanding that this only charges xtar branded 1.5v Li-ion batteries?

1 Thank

Thanks for signing up, Andanother!
Do you really want your email address out in the public like that?
It could attract spam emails.

1 Thank

No, it can charge any 1.5V Li-ion that has an integrated charging controller and expects 5V at its terminals.

2 Thanks

Thank you for pointing that out. I have fixed it.

1 Thank

:+1: