Review: Zeusray CREE XM-L2 zoomable flashlight

i had a look - 8 days from China to austria! :beer:

I am pleased with mine. I didn’t find it hard to file off most of the crenelation on the bezel ring, but I have been using my files a lot recently.

Using your method I roughly calculate it as 63 degrees.

Is this not available anymore?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated! As my zoomies need to be wide I think I’ll stick to the FastTech host, which is pretty good with solid pill (alu) but an necessarily chunky/heavy head.

trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts thanks

Hhmm - this don't sound right - only 63? Oh boy, think I'll have to try it... The ZeusRay's about match my little AA no-name zoomies, after I sanded down the slider on them.

Update: ok, I measured the light from 16" off the wall, and it had 25.5" total width flood. So, that's 12.75" to calculate the angle. Plugging in the #'s on the site, it calculates 38.55 degs, times 2 is 77.1.

Conclusion: my ZeusRay has a 77.1 degree flood

Sonofspectrum - do you have the model with the shiny tailcap or duller one? Think my shinier ones did better (wider flood). Last one I ordered and recv'd was the shiny tailcap.

Other lights have several on going thread discussions, why does this particular light need to be restricted to one? I don’t get it… In any case, this thread seems more active. Move everything over here instead :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the additional test.

MY tail cap is bright but does not have a polished surface. I don’t know the difference between the two tail cap types as i have not seen them so could not say which i have.

At 16” from the wall i measure a flood of 20”. At a distance of 81cm from the wall as Mike C tested i have a flood off 100cm (roughly as i’m trying to hold the torch and measure at the same time).

I laid the flashlight down against a ruler and used movable objects (boxes) to mark off the limits at the widest point of the beam, then measured the distance between the objects, so it was very easy, and could tweak the boundaries pretty easy. Actually the modded light had a ~25.5" width, but the unmodded ones had ~25", so that is still 76 degrees for the unmodded ones. The 16" distance I used was from the wall to the outer most edge of the bezel.

The modded one has a Noctigon MCPCB, so moved the LED closer to the lens slightly.

BTW, that zoomie linked to FastTech above (fasttech.com-cree-xml-t6-zoom) measured to have an 81.5 degree beam had one posted review that said the LED touches the lens - not a good thing, and why the width is so big...

I personally doubt that it touches. Sure, the LED sticks a tiny bit above the pill, but the pill sits lower than the ledge that the lens rests on. Low enough for a small piece of paper to be able to move around between the LED and lens with a small tap, everything tightened. If the LED touched the glass, that little piece of paper I put in there would have been jammed to the lens and not moved with such a light tap.

Edit: I’m using LEDs on Notigon MCPCBs in these lights, if that’s relevant.

Ahh - ok. Either the reviewer messed up or his particular unit had the problem. Do you think my method of measuring is ok/same as yours? Hard to say accurately if we all measure the same, but for me to get 16"-25" and Sonofspectrum to get 16"-20" effectively, is a big difference. I find a 1/2" pretty noticeable and to be off 5" is huge. All 3 of my ZeusRay's are around that 25" - 25.5" range - 2 with the shiny style tail, 1 with the dull tail. Another ZeusRay thread had the comparative pics of the 2 types. I know my Sipik SK-73 being the same style light has a much lower beam width - sounds like Sonofspectrum has a light along those lines -- wonder if it's yet another variation of ZeusRay...

My modded SupFire F6 is now also doing about 25" - 25.5" at 16" off the wall. It's got a copper MCPCB in there, plus last night I sanded down the slider piece a little bit to get the lens to sit lower at the full flood position - it had some room to play with, and could do more but the sanding was slow and hot. I need to swap the sanding disc on my bench sander - it's worn out.

The paper slid through, but it’s a close call. If the reviewer just looked at the pill it’s easy to see how one would think it touched, or if the pill is not tightened down it might not go low enough under the lens ledge.

Your method is basically the same is mine. I measured the distance between two fixed features of my wall, pulled the light away from the wall until the flood beam filled those two features, and then measured the distance from the lens to the wall.

I tested the zeusray vs. LedLenser P7.2

distance: 50cm

zeusray
flood: 66cm = 66.8 °
focused: 7.5 cm = 8.6 ° (small side of square)

P7.2
flood: 63cm = 64.4 °
stock focused: 10cm = 11.4 °
“real” focused: 5.5 cm = 6.3 °
(to the sharp image of the die)

Oh boy, 63, 66.8, and 76. Yikes, I'm out there...

> why does this particular light need to be restricted to one? I don’t get it …

LJ asked us to do this:

“Please consolidate all ZeusRay posts here: trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts thanks ”

because he has been trying to educate the people who sell the ZeusRay.

ZeusRay (whoever) listened once — remarkably.
That’s how we got the solid pill version of the light that’s immensely popular, instead of the slightly cheaper hollow pill.
Remember “hollow pillow/solid pillow” is what they called it. They are new.

You’d think they’d learn but they haven’t — they still need help if we want them to pay attention.
They have lots of questions, and they aren’t good at finding the answers here.

So — if you want them to pay attention, and improve the light further — use the one consolidated topic linked above.

That’s only LJ’s request, and only a courtesy. You can do what you want.

Dealmetic is right about the reason I am trying to consolidate all the Zuessray/Zuesray? Posts so I can quickly refer to all the links so Vince and the engineers from Dealmetic can s easily see what we want to improve the light and upcoming .models of lights we would like Dealmetic may not be Nitecore Acebeam, Fenix but at least they are making an effort to accommodate us.

Is this light still available?

It is

All they have to do is create and account and ask them themselves under the commercial seller forum. No need to do any searching at all then.