Review: Zeusray CREE XM-L2 zoomable flashlight

I personally doubt that it touches. Sure, the LED sticks a tiny bit above the pill, but the pill sits lower than the ledge that the lens rests on. Low enough for a small piece of paper to be able to move around between the LED and lens with a small tap, everything tightened. If the LED touched the glass, that little piece of paper I put in there would have been jammed to the lens and not moved with such a light tap.

Edit: I’m using LEDs on Notigon MCPCBs in these lights, if that’s relevant.

Ahh - ok. Either the reviewer messed up or his particular unit had the problem. Do you think my method of measuring is ok/same as yours? Hard to say accurately if we all measure the same, but for me to get 16"-25" and Sonofspectrum to get 16"-20" effectively, is a big difference. I find a 1/2" pretty noticeable and to be off 5" is huge. All 3 of my ZeusRay's are around that 25" - 25.5" range - 2 with the shiny style tail, 1 with the dull tail. Another ZeusRay thread had the comparative pics of the 2 types. I know my Sipik SK-73 being the same style light has a much lower beam width - sounds like Sonofspectrum has a light along those lines -- wonder if it's yet another variation of ZeusRay...

My modded SupFire F6 is now also doing about 25" - 25.5" at 16" off the wall. It's got a copper MCPCB in there, plus last night I sanded down the slider piece a little bit to get the lens to sit lower at the full flood position - it had some room to play with, and could do more but the sanding was slow and hot. I need to swap the sanding disc on my bench sander - it's worn out.

The paper slid through, but it’s a close call. If the reviewer just looked at the pill it’s easy to see how one would think it touched, or if the pill is not tightened down it might not go low enough under the lens ledge.

Your method is basically the same is mine. I measured the distance between two fixed features of my wall, pulled the light away from the wall until the flood beam filled those two features, and then measured the distance from the lens to the wall.

I tested the zeusray vs. LedLenser P7.2

distance: 50cm

zeusray
flood: 66cm = 66.8 °
focused: 7.5 cm = 8.6 ° (small side of square)

P7.2
flood: 63cm = 64.4 °
stock focused: 10cm = 11.4 °
“real” focused: 5.5 cm = 6.3 °
(to the sharp image of the die)

Oh boy, 63, 66.8, and 76. Yikes, I'm out there...

> why does this particular light need to be restricted to one? I don’t get it …

LJ asked us to do this:

“Please consolidate all ZeusRay posts here: trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts thanks ”

because he has been trying to educate the people who sell the ZeusRay.

ZeusRay (whoever) listened once — remarkably.
That’s how we got the solid pill version of the light that’s immensely popular, instead of the slightly cheaper hollow pill.
Remember “hollow pillow/solid pillow” is what they called it. They are new.

You’d think they’d learn but they haven’t — they still need help if we want them to pay attention.
They have lots of questions, and they aren’t good at finding the answers here.

So — if you want them to pay attention, and improve the light further — use the one consolidated topic linked above.

That’s only LJ’s request, and only a courtesy. You can do what you want.

Dealmetic is right about the reason I am trying to consolidate all the Zuessray/Zuesray? Posts so I can quickly refer to all the links so Vince and the engineers from Dealmetic can s easily see what we want to improve the light and upcoming .models of lights we would like Dealmetic may not be Nitecore Acebeam, Fenix but at least they are making an effort to accommodate us.

Is this light still available?

It is

All they have to do is create and account and ask them themselves under the commercial seller forum. No need to do any searching at all then.

Right, Mike, if the Dealmetic people were able to do it your way — read, understand, interpret, and put it all together — they’d be like you.

So far, they’re not. These aren’t flashlight addicts, and most of what people here want is beyond them — so far.

They’re not reading what we write with comprehension — “hollow pillow/solid pillow” —- they don’t know what we’re talking about here.

They need help; the’ve been getting it. LJ talks to one guy, Vince, who listened and passed on the request, and turned out this wonderful solid pill for us.

We can help — using the consolidated post, so LJ sees the comments and can help Vince understand what we’re talking about.

Or we can do whatever we want and make it their problem.

YMMV. Just saying, there’s an opportunity here, we’ve been rewarded with the solid pill — we can help LJ and Vince.
Or not.

Yeah, I get you, I do. But I think that trying to move ongoing discussions about a light to one specific thread is an odd request. Like let’s gather all Convoy C8 threads and put them into one.

Those of you who want to help them probably do so better by communicating directly with them. To me that sounds like what LJ has been doing already. Writing everything in one thread is not going to make what’s in the thread easier for them to understand anyway.

Ok, I’ll respect your request if I have any suggestions about the light, but if I want to respond to post in a thread I’ll do it in the thread it was posted in.

I'm a bit confused what's goin on. I see nothing - nothing new with the ZeusRay line, no acknowledgement from posted suggestions, nothing... I am glad though the ZuesRay zoomie is still available at a pretty good price Smile. A this point I could only assume they stopped listening based on the lack of responses and any resulting changes - this is goin slower than a BLF Special Edition group buy... Undecided

I agree with Mike - there could (should) be one thread for feedback and suggestions, etc., but that doesn't mean threads like this should be killed. Of course I'm not very good for staying on topic Innocent.

t

ase is point a it has nothing to do with the Zuesray, but Vince has openly admitted he know NOT ING about lights, he as
k me if I can show him threads about the lights so he can gather and pass information to management and engineers, their next light I feel
Will be a catastrophe as dealmetic wants a 2.8 Amp version of a C8. I would happily show you the conversation but I can’t find it as there are so many separate posts I don’t k ow where to look any how Iam done carry on any way you all wish.

s

No prob lj. I know you've been trying. The language barrier, their tech/knowledge level, communications in general, even between their own divisions or sub-contractors/vendors, are always the big issues in dealing with them, as krono can certainly attest to, or just about anyone for that matter that's done group buy negotiations as well.

was there 2 versions of this zeusray as the one I have doesn’t seem to throw and maybe it’s an aluminium pill.
Someone mentioned it was an early version.

Correct ?.
Thanks.

No the aluminum pill doesn’t have anything to do with the throw, just heat management, maybe they didn’t set the pill right .Make sure the pill is tightened all the way down and the bezel is tightened all the way down too .

Thanks well it’s still no change.
The pill seems fine and the bezel too is all down.
I can’t even see how to make it change from flood to throw.
When they said early version I think it meant it just came with flood maybe ?.
It seems the old version.

Thanks

Are you sure you have a ZeusRay? The exact same body shape is available from a lot of places as a fixed, non-zoom flashlight.

If it’s a ZeusRay then the head is stuck in place for some reason. Is it giving you a floodlight or a spotlight?

Try twisting the head one way and the body the other, back and forth a bit, and see if it starts to move.
Could be there’s some grit jamming it.

Try looking through trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts
“trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts”

That’s the attempt to gather up all the ZeusRay information in one place rather than have it scattered around in multiple threads.

Hi all sorted , thanks very much.
It was pretty hard to move that’s why I thought it was stuck to it.
Thanks again.