Review: Zweihnder ME-05, Kinda Sorta.

Review of the Zweihnder ME-05, kinda sorta . This item was provided by Lightcastle for review.

When Lightcastle was looking for reviewers, I jumped at the opportunity to be able to do a review like the many that I’ve read here on BLF. I told them that I would do a honest and objective review with no loyalty to brands

I was given a narrow price range to select from and it was hard to find something that hasn’t been already reviewed by a BLF member.

After picking through the scraps that my fellow BLF reviewers left, my first two selections ended up being so old that they were unavailable. Soon after, Lightcastle did a purge of their website and the Zweihnder ME-05 suddenly appeared in their new arrivals. It had three XM-L2 U2 NW LEDs in it where most of the lights available had XM-L or older LEDs and it was within the narrow price range I was given. It also hasn’t been reviewed by anyone on BLF. I finally found a light to review. :slight_smile:

Zweihnder ME-05 regular price: $32.75

Features/Specifications (From Lightcastle product page):

Zweihnder ME-05 2800lm 5-Mode 3xCree XM-L2 U2 White Light Waterproof Memory Flashlight - Black (2 X 18650)

Weight: 334.00 g
Dimensions: 23x6x6cm

Lightcastle wasted no time and shipped the flashlight to me. Three days after it was shipped, it was processed by ISC New York USPS. Two days after that it went to Flushing New York USPS and ten days after that it was delivered to me. This further justifies my belief that the USPS is run by trained monkeys.

It arrived in the typical bubble envelope. Time to open the envelope and see what’s inside.

Here we find a plain cardboard box with a sticker that says 431059, which just happens to be the SKU# of the Zweihnder ME-05. Time to open the box and see the Zweihnder ME-05.

Hey! That doesn’t say Zweihnder ME-05. It just says SecurityIng® :expressionless:

I believe that Lightcastle (like most e-tailers) drop ships their products and had no hand in this mistake or switcheroo. I think the blame falls squarely on the distributor. When you think about it, why would Lightcastle send the wrong light for me to review when they know that I would bring it up in the review? That would be insane.

Here’s a size comparison of the SecurityIng next to a UniqueFire UF-V8.

Here’s a view of the head, tube and tailcap.

Here’s a closer look at the threads and o-ring. The threads are dry as a bone.

Now for a look at the reflector and the three XM-L2 U2 NW LEDs. Hey! Wait a minute. Those LEDs are XM-L, not XM-L2. :expressionless:

Here’s another size comparison of the SecurityIng next to a UniqueFire UF-V8.

Here’s a O.D. measurement of the SecurityIng’s Head. 55.87mm

Now it’s time to check out that NW tint.

On the left is a Convoy C8 with a 3A tint and the SecurityIng on the right.

On the left is a Warsun CT9T 1A tint and the SecurityIng on the right.

Well that just shows you that the SecurityIng is CW, not NW. After going side by side with my Convoy C8 and Warsun CT9T, I think it blows the 2800 lumen claim out of the water.

After searching around, I discovered that this isn’t a new light at all but just another clone of the Sky Ray 3XT6-818, Hunterseyes 3XT6, SingFire SF-317 and the LT-77299. There are probably more clones out there but I haven’t found them yet.

BLF member Foy did a review back in 2011 of the Sky Ray 3XT6-818. It has all the information you need to know about this SecurityIng flashlight. Review: Sky Ray 818

After seeing how this light performed, I decided to skip the lux meter test and outdoor beam shots.

My conclusion is that this light is not what was advertised but just another version of an older light. Maybe if the distributor were to ship an actual Zweihnder ME-05 for another forum member to review, it might be a nice flashlight that comes with NW XM-L2’s and can do 2800 lumen.

The End.

Nice review. I wouldn’t buy this light thou that cool white harshes my mellow man!

Thanks!

Bummer….

Nice honest review!

It’s a bummer that they can’t seem to get their stuff straight with their suppliers. They did a similar thing with the last light I reviewed for them. They sent the right light but it had the wrong emitters. XML instead of XM-L2’s.

Very good review- great job! Too bad about the ME-05 mix up, it looked interesting for sure! :frowning:

The name of the flashlights looks a little bit weird, but I know why:

Zweihnder - the person who wrote the name make a mistake and was influenced by the German language. The German word for a sword, which is really long and you need both hands to handle it called Zweihänder. German has some special letters (I don't know, if any other language has these: ä, ü, ö, ß), French has special accent on some letters like hôtel, réjouir, à or garçon, Spanish has similar accents.

If special letters are not available on a keyboard, some people leave this letters. Result: Zweihänder is now Zweihnder

and I just thought :bigsmile: it ment 2 hander.

Is this one the original Fry-Ray that had the floating pill and poor heatsinking resulting in high failure rates?