RGBW drivers (driver only sales thread)- Clicky controlled, single layer 17mm 4 independent channel cc regulator driver

On request this is the sales thread for my RGBW_Clicky driver's (see separate thread for turn-key lights).

Gonna keep this short and sweet and assume everyone's interested in a fully built, ready to install driver (PM me for info on a kit, or a programmed MCU for you to DIY / for you to design your own board but trust me when I say, the DIY option of you buying parts and boards and the MCU from me will save you no money, probably even cost you more.

Driver spec's:

The driver uses 4 independently PWM'd transistor based CC regulators, the current on each channel is set by a sense resistor. All drivers will ship at a default 2A per channel however removing one of the two resistors will drop you to ~1A per channel (with no other hardware needed), you can also do your own calculations and source your own 1206's to set any other current you'd like under 2A (theoretically the circuit can go higher but you're limited by power the 1206's can dissipate). Please note on "turbo" (all die's 100%) you wont see the full 8A cause of the higher current overhead of this transistor circuit, the max I've been able to achieve is 6.75A (tho each individual channel has no problem hitting its single 2A max)

The end user not only has the ability to change the current's independently (they do NOT have to match eachother) but he can also change the reset time. This is the time it takes the UI to revert back to the saved white channel from any color (its not an instant reset to give the user the option of color signaling), the time can be set from as low as 2sec to as long as 10sec (possible even longer). This is changed by altering the ratio of cap to resistor, the faster the cap drains (or smaller the cap is) the faster the UI resets.

The UI:

(all operation described with reverse clicky, for FWD replace tap with full click)

The UI is unique in that it allows you to operate the light as a white flashlight without getting into the colors for use as an EDC (what good is a light you wont have on you?). The way it operates it this

* Light has off-time based memory and will save the mode after being on for .5sec (this time is adjustable at time of ordering). Single tap to advance threw modes. In moon threw medium you will see a very briew (a few mS) blip on each level to indicate you've passed the multi-click cut off time and that level has been memorized (you dont see this blip on high / turbo cause it is a PWM blip and both high and turbo are at 100% but memory kicks in at the same length of time)

* Moonlight (which is red)-->Low-->Med-->High(white 100%)-->Turbo(all 4 die's 100%)

RGB

* Triple tap at any time to enter colors.

* Both the last used color, as well as the ramp position of each color are saved independently (you can have blue at 100%, green at 73% and red at minimum or any other combo), changing one does not reset any other.

* Once you've entered the colors you can then switch threw the colors by a double tap

* Start the current color's ramp via quad-tap, ramp will continue up and down untill you single tap to set (and save) that position, ramp position memorized instantly

Spectrum Fade

* Final mode is a full color spectrum fade in which the R, G and B emitters will be automatically varied to mix the colors. This is continuous and does not time out, it will continue fading (as "mood lighting") till you set any mixed color with a single tap. From this set mixed color the next power cycle (be it a single tap or an off/on cycle) will instantly revery back to you're saved white level.

Compile time options (at time of ordering):

When you order there are several options, please let me know your choice for each (do not assume I know what you want, I've learned what I like is not what most people like)

First I need to know the multi-click speed (this is the same as the memorization time), I like .2sec but I find most like between .5 and a full sec

I need to know if you want turbo enabled or not (not recommended for XM-L color's at 2A per die but its totally up to you, its your $15 emitter, only choose turbo if you've got a sinkpad [pretty much required anyway] and a good thermal path).

Finally I need to know if you want the white die to come on at the top of the color ramps, this is only the very top step (so its easy to hit one step down for 100% color only). This is an option to greatly increase the color output and CRI (green becomes lime, blue becomes light blue and red becomes pink). Note if you choose not to have this enabled the white die will still illuminate at the very top step of each ramp but only as an indicator you're at max, it will not stay on once you set it.

There are also hardware options (at time of ordering, tho these are all end-user configurable by you should you want to change how it works)

Max current of each level, again default option is 2A/per however I'll be happy to set it at only ~1.1A each upon request (if you dont ask you'll receive your's set to 2A)

Reset time (this is different from memory time, this is the time to revert to the saved white level from colors), again this is set by the ratio of cap to resistor so its easy to change later on your own, I just need to know where you want it from me. If not specified it'll come at about a 4sec reset.

Price is $20 for the driver and shipping will be $3 for CONUS with tracking, international is a flat $8.50 to anywhere. Insurance (both CONUS and international is extra) I take great pride in these drivers and as such I package them extremely well (secured and with anti-static protection). I warranty them all against DOA but I can not be responsible for lost packages if you do not buy insurance (for CONUS its $1 to add, not sure for international, request quote)

The sense resistors in this pic are upside down not to hide their value (they're .47ohm 3/4W Vishay Dale's, the ONLY brand of high power rated 1206) but so I can more easily add a second resistor stacked on top (for 2A current it's .22ohm total resistance at 1.5W, there arnt 1.5W 1206 available so I have to parallel stack them to lower the power across each). Note 1.5W is not the exact required rating, that's allowing for a good safety margin.

I'm shipping all drivers built on my most current (and finalized) V3.0 boards. They're the same exact layout as the pictured V2.2.0 however with the addition of a solid GND plane on both sides). I will have new pictures of the V3 build once I'm able to acquire a new camera / iphone (bricked my 5c tonight upgrading from 7.xx to 8.1 and the batt died in the process).

One final note, tho not coming soon (probably be into 2015) an update to the UI is planned. It'll offer a few more "cool" modes (like a randomized strobe, police strobe and hopefully in circuit (aka no programming required) configuration options for the end user to toggle turbo and the white-on-high options on and off at will). Please dont wait for these because like I say, its gonna be a little while still but anyone who buy's a driver now will automatically receive a new MCU at that time for no charge (yes this goes for the people who have already purchased)

Intro sale, take $3 off if you buy an XML color sinkpad from VOB’s thread here. Hurry, he only has 4 left (I bought the rest lol). Sale will end when his first batch of sP’s are gone.

Buyers beware!

@ Price, just last month the usps marked a package delivered on tracking when it most certainly was not delivered. Individual, private mailbox in a nice neighborhood. I was home and got the mail within an hour. Never showed up.

Also usps too frequently has marked things delivered when in reality it only shows up in my mailbox the next day. Never trust any mail carrier when they mark something “delivered”.

ooo that’s juicy stuff :slight_smile: That’s the kind of people I’m used to dealing with over here. You have to wear wood down your pants or get it taken!

oook OT Raining over here… You guys out east got it bad I hear

CK, I assume the Low Medium and High are all the white die only?

Hi CK I sent a pm but never herd back just wondering if you shipped my multi colored driver out yet ?

******STILL NEVER RECEIVED******

Hi Dan,

I would like to pick up another one of these drivers if your still selling them. I would like one using the default firmware and if possible I'd like to get a few of the resistors you use to boost the current.

PP is warming. Let me know :)

EDIT: I never heard anything from Dan about this via email or the forum. Tiz a shame. These drivers were pretty cool.

I wonder if these could still be had?