RIP! I finally blew up my Proxxon...and just blew up my new one too. (Post #31)

Angle Grinder, cutting wheels are fairly cheap. Copper and aluminum really eat them up fast though. I’ve been building Solar Panels and cutting Aluminum stock for the frames would take forever with a Hacksaw.

After I trace my circle and then use a hacksaw to cut it out as a square from the bar stock, my shoulder and arm are ready to pack it in. Even with a hack saw, 1/2” copper is nasty stuff to work with.

You need a toothed saw for that, whether it be round disc or straight handheld, not an abrasive disc.

[quote=Ouchyfoot]

One more time: it is bad idea to cut Cu/Al with abrasive discs.
Maybe you can find person in you area who has some various of copper rods in stock and will be able to cut it with band saw.
I wonder if there no such services in the US, it might cost almost nothing.

It is very hard and spends to much time.
If you don`t have any tools near to you try to use thin sheets of copper and etching them. Химическая резка листовой меди. (И не только меди...). | Мастерская: Tamagotchi и Rime
Then you can solder them in one piece.

I have Dremel 3000 rotary tool… The thing is that I was considering to buy your mentioned Proxxon.

After some gentle use (maybe hour or so) Dremel died :slight_smile: I claimed the warranty and they repaired it.

I think unbeatable in performance are pneumatic type of tools. They are indestructible and for toughest works. But you also need strong compressor for them and that makes them 10 or more times expensive.

Did tried one and the amount of press I used on metal would killed dremel in first few seconds.

I am planning one soon…

Just thought I’d mention that I got my new Proxxon.
I ordered it from Amazon yesterday at 5:00PM and received it this morning at 7:00AM. Not bad.
I just got home from work, but within the hour, I’m going to try the cut off wheel I was using in my regular drill. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Well, I got the job done. Like I said, I really only need the cut off wheel for lopping corners. The drill was a little jumpier, and took a bit longer than the rotary tool, but the job is done and I didn’t have to risk burning up my new Proxxon. I’m using a really crappy drill. The cheapest one that’s you can buy at Home Depot (under$20), so if you have a better quality drill, the job might be even easier.

If we all did things by the book nothing would ever be achieved. If it gets the job done safely (tools do talk to you) well all good.

I Never had other cutting discs than the standard ones….should I get some of these for cutting:

No, this is bad idea.
They are made for thin plastic and wood.

I blew up my new Proxxon already. Well not quite blew up. The shaft just started spinning. The shaft turns at speed, but but if you apply pressure, it stops. The motor is still turning its revolutions, but you can grab the shaft with your fingers and hold it. It’s like it disengaged itself from the transmission.

Luckily I hadn’t thrown out my burned out Proxxon, and swapped the heads. They’re slightly different, but it fit. The old head works with no problem.

If I kill it again, I’m going to have to search the planet for the most indestructible rotary tool known to man.
EDIT: I thought I fixed it, but it’s still broken. The bit just stops as soon as it comes into contact with a surface. You can still hear the shaft spinning, but something is not transferring.

Any compressed air rotary tools are indestructible. They can take heavy pressure to any surface and work whole day.

If you can afford get this one or similar.

Dremel and Proxxon are good tools for hobbyists with gentle approach on things and with very little pressure to treated surface.

I’m sure it’s a great tool, but I’m limited to living in a small apartment, so I can’t realistically be purchasing tools that require a home workshop.

This Russia tool from your thread also looks like it can handle serious pressure in which Dremel would die in first few seconds:

Anyone with link to this tool. I would like to buy that.

I’m pretty sure that’s just a drill motor in a basic casing without handle.

Kiriba-ru

Where can we get them? They really look like a serious pro tools. Dremel and Proxxon are toys comparing to that :slight_smile:

I never seen such ones anywhere :slight_smile:

I have 2 old Foredom’s, they are industrial Dremels. They are used by knife makers and such. I would strongly suggest that you look into them. And as a bonus, the best ones are remote powerheads with very good flex shafts and bearings where they matter!

I did look them up. I like quality, and I will usually pay for it, but over $1000 is a little steep for my little bit of flashlight modding.

Don't you have trouble using cutoff discs with a straight-shaft tool like this? Same with a die grinder, too hard to keep the disc aligned in the slot. Too much leverage in all the wrong directions.

Try a 4" angle grinder, if you're sure you want to use abrasive discs. Much easier to control.

I looked at angle grinders, and they are all too huge for my tasks. I mean, I’m just lopping off small bits off the corners of things that are only 20mm big. I do ok until I start using the heavy stock copper. This time I was trying to ream out a off center hole with a fluted bit and I’m probably guilty of exerting too much pressure. I’m should have known better, but when a project starts going south it’s easy to forget common sense and go at it full out.

The thinner plate copper is easier to work with, but once I start into the stock that’s over 1/4” thick, things start getting western.
If you can point me toward a small size angle grinder I would appreciate it.