Rolled my own triple XP-G P60 PIC ADDED

I noticed something in the second pic. The solder connectingthe black led- wire to the board appears to be above the chip next to it. If this comes into contact with the sink as the wire passes through you could get an intermittent short to the sink which I presume is at ground potential. This would essentially bypass the board as led + and battery + are the same on the board. This might show up with an ohmmeter from led- to gnd as a fluctuatimg resistance value. It might also explain Dorpmuller's results as this can happen doing a reflow.

I wouldn't rule out anything. As careful as I was, soldering those tiny connections is hard with my iron. Plus my eyesight is getting worse (old age, lol).

I have that same 105c prewired and it has the same blob of solder. I have to use a magnifying lamp to work on them.

Great thread…Triple components are on the way

Ok, I want to try it… Thanks for share…

Great job what you do…

Btw, you solder the star to the copper piece?

Hello, first post here! I recently bought a Sorarforce l2p , and I’m going to try my hand at building my own drop in! My first question is whether this driver would be a good candidate. Second, where could I find a standard pill for sale? I suppose I could just buy the $4 drop in kit from that same distributor.

Thanks for all the help, and the inspiration,
Supergyro

Welcome and have a good time, Supergyro!

Welcome to BLF! Use of that driver depends on what you're doing, which LED you're using, etc. . . You'd probably be better suited to make a new thread.

-Garry

I agree with Garry. Start ya a new thread & get a proper welcome (& answers). Good having you here. Feel free to speak up.

Keith

Really nice job :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info! I’ll be sure to post a hello thread, but I guess the main reason I asked about the use of that driver in this thread is that I bought the same 3-up star as OP, and I’m using it in the same host, so I assumed it would be readily identifiable as good/no good. I’ll be mainly using (1) 18650, but I’ve got some Surefire 123 primaries for my other LED.

Thanks again,
Supergyro

where’d u get a cu pipe like that? never seen a cu pipe with that kind of wall thickness

This is from post #11.

Here's a link to the item at HomeDepot.com if you're in the US.

This chunk of copper is from Elkhart Products Corporation, item no. 30550. There isn’t anything similar to find in Germany, regarding wall-thickness, darn! I checked every amazon-hardwarestore, but int. shipping either isn’t available or pricy. I will order one off ebay.

Dorpmuller, I’m having a hard time with my 26 AWG wire, I can only get four wires to fit! Did you open up the center hole on your build?

ETA: Match has all the answers! :bigsmile:

Finished my build, and what a learning experience! No pictures, because my solder joints are DISGUSTING! :bigsmile: I used a DrJones Luxdrv and I would recommend it to anyone. The choice of modes is awesome, and the configurability is great, too.

Thanks a ton dorpmuller! And a big thanks to DrJones, too.

Well done Supergyro. Your well on the road to madness. I would not worry about your solder joints not looking the best as we all do that more than some of us would like to admit. You could show us some beam shots though Wink.

I’d have to borrow my Dad’s camera, and I’d need to wait for another night, but I’ll see what I can do. :slight_smile: