Rotary tool storage case...is there a better solution?

I hate the cases you get with rotary tools. They just become a jumbled loose mess of components. They seem ok when new, with the few extras they come with, but as soon as you pick up a few more assesories, it’s a mess that won’t close. Everything falls out of the neat little organizer holes and slots as soon as you pick it up.

If you own a rotary tool, you know what I’m talking about.

Does anybody have any alternative solutions? Are there any storage solutions out there that adapt nicely to rotary tools?

A small fishing tackle box? Or a larger one with the tool in the large compartment?

My fishing tackle box is a bigger jumbled mess than my dremel box.

You need something with lots of small compartments then. That way stuff cannot be just thrown in and mixed up.

Allow some nitches for add on parts and one for a wood block with rows of 5/32” holes for all the 1/8” bits.

I was thinking of customizing a wood block for the shafts of all the bits,wheelsgrindstones etc. that’s a lot of holes of different sizes that are too fussy to keep poking around for which hole fits what. Now I’m thinking foam might be best.
I still want one box that holds everything neatly. A section that the tool and its cord drop into easily without having to fuss around too much, and organizers that are handy without having too pull out a bunch of stuff to get something below them.

I would suggest a metal toolbox like craftsman or others sell. A bit of foam to create compartments and you’re set. Put the rotary tool in the top and use the drawers for accessories. Thanks to this post I just remembered there’s an old wood machinist’s box in the basement that passed from great grandfather to grandfather to father I can make use of.

A hinged wood box is best, but not easy to get hold of.

and a lot hevier than a similarly sized metal box.

After reading your question I realized how much I hate my rotory tool’s case too. I hadn’t noticed before. I did some searching and found a post to this on pintrest:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Bur-Storage-Lubricants-Drill-Gauges/Rotating-Wood-Hexagon-Bur-and-Tool-Caddies.html

I hear you on drilling all the small holes, but it could turn out pretty friggin’ sweet:

Buy a CNC machine, then it’d be a piece of cake!

I also noticed I don’t care for Pintrest too much.

That rotating tool caddy looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

I guess you would need a pretty open workbench to take advantage of it.

Medium density foam & a couple of small boxes works well for me.

Give me a link to that mini grinder that’s in your box.

You forgot to say please :slight_smile:
No problem.

I just got this a few weeks ago as i burnt out my other one. This is a bit of a monster compared to what i had, the lowest speed could be lower but it’s quite cheap and it does the job.

Thanks. I see it’s a rotary tool.
I read the sticker on the side that said “mini grinder” and thought it might have been just that.