[Runtimes Review] - Zebralight SC64w HI Cree XHP35 4500K 80+ CRI

Today I publish runtimes for my SC64w HI 18650 XHP35 – 4500K

I bought the light in January 2022 directly from zebralight•com through shipito•com as a “man in the middle”, which I don’t recommend unfortunately. Finally reshipped to Canada. I now use Stackry instead.

Here’s the actual version I bought:

Disclaimer:
Please note that my shoebox is only roughly calibrated, so don’t take these numbers as the absolute truth.

All tests were done with a Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh battery.

All tests are carried out under cooling conditions with compressed air. Why’s that ? See Selfbuilt’s elegant explanation. Worth reading:
https://www.flashlightreviews.ca/method.htm#Cooling

Also, for all levels where temperature is assumed to build up, I added the results without cooling the light. I think both kind of runtimes are important and tells something different.

Let’s start with Level 12 (turbo):

A nice steady 1042 lumens output for 41 min then drop to 100 lumens until the 87th min mark.
At the ambient temperature of my basement, the output quickly drops into a ~345-394 lumens zone for around 2.9 hours. This reminds me the official specs about runtime…

Level 11:

A steady 710 lumens for 76 min then a sharp drop to ~102 lumens until the 110th min mark.
At the ambient temperature of my basement, the output quickly drops into a ~346-409 lumens zone for around 2.9 hours.

Level 10:

A steady 424 lumens for 153 min then a sharp drop to ~103 lumens until the 181st min mark.
At the ambient temperature of my basement, the output quickly drops into a ~358-414 lumens zone for nearly 3 hours.

Level 9:

207 lumens for more than 6.1 hours

Level 8:

103 lumens for more than 13.1 hours

First 200 minutes:

Let’s compare the SC64w with two other lights:

Brothers & sisters… :smile:

Zebralight - SC600w Mk IV Plus Cree XHP50.2 - 4500K
Versus
Zebralight - SC64w HI NW - Cree XHP35 - 4500K

Interesting to see how the SC600w is by far more efficient. Maybe the bigger driver, maybe the LED emitter, maybe both, maybe I don’t know :thinking:

Finally, I compared the the Emisar D4V2, Zebra SC64w and the Zebra SC600w, all around 700 lumens levels and found interesting results:

Cooled or not, the Emisar D4V2 has almost the same curves as the SC64w. It’s nice to see similar efficacy for output/runtime and also a similar heat management from the D4V2 compared to a Zebralight. One point for Zebralight: it does it with a smaller light. One point for Emisar: it does it at much lower CCT. The S600w is just awesome !

The next runtime test will either be with my old SC62w to see how it compares to my other 18650 Zebralight or either my SC5w Mk II or maybe the H604c 18650 XHP50.2 4000K High CRI headlamp. I am not fixed. if I get at least one vote on one of them, I’ll accept it.

7 Thanks

You got yourself a unicorn
Any ZL with the discontinued XHP35 HI is well sought-after

Is it a d4v2 with the new boost driver?

Yes, it is using the boost Driver. It’s the one I tested here

Got it, thank you kind sir! May I steal your testing to post on reddit? It is very good info!

The driver is a bit more efficient, but it’s mostly the LED, pretty large efficacy difference between XHP35 HI and XHP50.2.

1 Thank

Il always post on BLF, CPF and Reddit at the same time so it’s already there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/11a48cf/runtimes_review_zebralight_sc64w_hi_cree_xhp35/

**Edited the link

It’s on your user page though, not r/flashlight, very few people will see it.

My bad. Thx for letting me know. I’ll try to correct this tonight.

I would love to see compared to SC64c LE. And also SC64c LE LH351D compared to SC64c LE 519A (Mcbob edition).

Has there been any runtime test comparisons of the same exact light / driver under the same conditions with different emitters? I wonder how much sooner a light steps down with 519A versus SST-20, XP-L HI, or LH351D.

This is really good data, thorough explanations for interpreting it, and rationale for how it was performed. Thank you for sharing.

1 Thank

Added a few pictures above, as asked on Reddit.

The SC600w’s 700lm runtime is impressive.

I have to ask, what kind of logic is there in the version numbers?
I’ve been looking at the SC600Fd and wonder how comparible the runtime will be to the one on this great review.
It’s a CRI 90-93 led so I don’t expect it exactly the same. XHP50 which could be XHP50.2 as in this review?
But both are SC600. Is SC600 just format/shape of the light or does it also cover the driver?

A floody 90-93, with that kind of ultra stable discharge curve, would be very nice.

To be honest I don’t pay to much attention to their letter codding. I check the specs to know the beam angle, color temperature, CRI and “floodinest”. Sorry for my English. As far as I remember, the w was introduced for their neutral white versions. The F for the flood. Don’t know about the d. The Sc600Fd is 5000K, so technically considered neutral White: it should have the w, following their logic. I am working on a review database right now (27% completed out of 10000 lines…) so I can check if I can find reviews of the SC600FD. Zebralights are rarelly reviewed I’m affraid. Reviewed or not, I am 100% sure that it would be verrrry stable around 700 lumens if cooled enough.

c: 4000K
w: 4500K
d: 5000K

2 Thanks

@NightTime I always read the specs, but never made the connection @quahog listed.

So just looking at the coding the SC600Fd and SC600W don’t differ much in the electronics.
Floody is just the reflector and frosted glass.
W and D is just the temp.

The only the CRI vallues remain

SC600w Mk IV Plus HI, XHP50.2 Neutral White 4500K - CRI 80+
SC600w Mk IV Plus HI, XHP50.3 Neutral White 4500K - CRI 90+
SC600Fd Mk IV Plus XHP50 Floody 5000K - CRI 93-95

50.2 = CRI 80+
50.3 = CRI 90+
50.x = CRI 93-95

What is the exact name of the 50.x
That’s quite important for me because I’m looking for something hi cri
What HI means I don’t know.

That’s not what it means unfortunately. All of those LEDs are available in different sub-versions with different CRI values.
HI=high intensity=no dome (better for throwy lights)

Learned another lesson…

You see, I’m impressed by the ultra stable uncooled 700lm in the last picture. (CRI 80)
So what I really want to know if I can expect similar runtimes graphs with a CRI 90-93 version?
Or does hi-cri come at a power cost?

c = 4000K high CRI
d = 5000K high CRI
w = neutral (usualy 4500K) 75-80CRI
no color leter = cool white low CRI

f = frosted
no lens leter = clear

HI = flat LED

(for the sc600)
plus = XHP50.x
no plus = XH35

1 Thank

On the ZL site all specs are listed for the SC600w
The runtimes for the SC600Fd are missing but the lumens listed are all lower than those of the SC600w, but still very nice.

Are the lower lumens the cost of a different led?
More importantly, does the SC600 series use the same power in every mode regading the exact model?
In other words can assume the runtimes for both lights are the same?

SC600Fd - “CREE XHP50 HD” - 90+ CRI
SC600w IV Plus - “CREE XHP50.2 HD” - 80+ CRI
SC600w IV Plus HI - “CREE XHP50.3 HI” - 90+ CRI

So, yes, all three are using different LEDs. Also, the SC600Fd has a frosted lens which will reduce the lumens. Also, higher CRI usually results in lower lumens.