S2+ KD 219C triple build and questions

I bought two sets of the 219C KD triple 4000K and built one S2+ triple with it (so far). Had the same observation, thought 4000K looked a bit too yellow but, compared to my other tints, it is actually quite accurate. Guess I am just not used to warm tints.
However, on the light output I have to agree that I expected a lot more.

According to my free harbor freight multimeter my DD driver (wights design) puts out about 6.5 with new wires I put in yesterday (20AWG), both springs are bypassed and I guess due to the selected FET this is the max this driver will do for now or it is the maximum this multimeter can measure.

It looks dimmer than expected, but I have no way of measuring light output. I left the optic clear and the glass lens is in front of it.

Little update:

I got the UNI-T UT210E in yesterday, and i measure 5.7 Amperes through a wire loop (instead of tailcap) on a half full VTC5 (batt. Voltage without load = 3.5 Volts)
5.7 Amperes divided by 16x AMC7135 = 0,36 A per AMC7135, so the driver seems to be in good working order.

Hey. I was just reading back through this thread for the fun of it. I see that you had some concern about the output. So, I looked up some stuff, to see if I could satisfy my own curiosity. :smiley:

I don’t know what the exact bin of the LEDs is, but looking at djozz’s test thread here, it seems that around 650lm per emitter is reasonable if yours are the same as his. That would give you roughly 1950lm at the LED (s). That is a pretty decent output. But you said it didn’t look like it was much brighter than a XM-L2 at 2.8A current. Part of that will be because the light is spreading out from three LEDs instead of one. Also, those three LEDs don’t have as high lumens/watt efficiency as XM-L2. Part of it also is because it takes almost double light output just to see a significant brightness change at all. And about double is what you’ve (likely) got here, if your emitters match the one used in djozz’s tests. If you then take out a bit for losses through the optic, you were probably seeing just what it should be after all. Anyway, it’s bright enough for me. :innocent:

In case anyone’s interested, Kaidomain still has these Nichia 219C triples for cheap (as of today anyway).

The KD triples are high CRI, so they’re definitely not as efficient as that cool white XM-L2 i compared it with, and also not as efficient as the one in the Djozz test you linked.
It’s also a flood light, so the light bouncing from the ceiling straight back down is also less than with a C8.

I have one more KD triple in stock here, so i will build a second one. :slight_smile:
Maybe in a 14500 light. :slight_smile: