Samsung 40T5 pops up - anyone with more info on it?!

I noted a few days ago that Nkon has a new Samsung 21700-40T listed on its website, the 40T5: Samsung INR21700-40T (40T5) 4000mAh - 35A - 21700 & 20700 - Li-ion - Oplaadbare batterijen | NKON

So far I haven’t been able to find any more info (or a datasheet) for it. I’m curious to know how it stacks up against the 40T3 (and 40T1 before that).

Has someone spotted some info about this somewhere else?

2 Thanks

First time I’m hearing about it.

“thinner and stronger casing compared to the 40T3”

uhh…was the old casing not strong enough? Is there something we should know about Samsung? Lol

Yeah, it’s really weird, because I can’t find another mention of it somewhere else. I even searched for the EAN/GTIN code that Nkon has listed on their page, but that one also came up empty.

Generally Nkon is know as a reliable source for original batteries, so I have no reason to doubt that these would be fake.

I might order 3 (or 4) anyway (for my ‘shortly’ to arive Sofirn Q8 Plus), since Nkon hasn’t got much other interesting high drain 21700’s in stock at the moment, except for some (reclaimed) 30T’s and Sony VTC6A (21700).
Unfortunately the Molicel P42A will also take 2 months to be back in stock.

So yeah, I might end up taking the gamble and see for myself if these are indeed (visually) different than the 40T3. If I do so, I might order them this week and will post some photos here on the forum.

I just (pre-)ordered 4 ‘40T5’ batteries and if the indicated shipping date is correct, I should get them somewhere in the 2-3 days.

Will post some pictures when I recieve them!

1 Thank

Ya me neither, literally nothing that isn’t nkon. But it’s not that crazy, hard to find info on stuff like this, Samsung isn’t going to say anything, somebody had to be the first one to sell it. Nkon is as reliable as we get for loose cells, I don’t have a reason to doubt them, but who can say. There’s so many 40t’s out there. So many high quality imitations as well. Who knows which ones are real

Yes, so far my experiences with Nkon are also nothing but positive.

As I just posted ‘a fraction’ before your message: I have just ordered 4 of them and will post photos when I get them. (Hopefully on wednesday.) The 3 best matching ones are for my upcoming Q8 Plus and the other one I will use to compare them against some of my other high drain batteries, within the limited means/options that I have.

I don’t have the equipment (and expertise) to do a tourough and acurate review, but given the fact that I will do a capacity check and IR test (on my Opus BT-C3100) anyway, I will post that here too. Might take some time, because I’m planning to all test them in the same slot, so I get the most consistency to compare them against eachother.

1 Thank

Nice, I’m curious to see the difference.

Ya on more than one occasion I’ve been reading a study on lithium ion batteries done by some university lab and seen “cells used were purchased from nkon.nl” or something to that effect.

So PhD’s have taken cells purchased from nkon and analyzed them under electron microscopes and published the results in peer reviewed journals. That’s something. Idk if anyone is ever 100% reliable 100% of the time but they’re probably as good as we get unless you can order direct from the factory.

1 Thank

Hi, is there a datasheet for the samsung 40t5? I asked nkon for a datasheet, but they don’t want to send it to me until after the cells have been purchased. I need to compare it with the 40t3, what is their internal resistance and continuous discharge current and peak current.

Unfortunately I don’t have a datasheet either. (I haven’t asked Nkon for it though.)

Unfortunately the ‘expected date of shipping’ changed from the 20th of February to the 1st of March, so I have to wait a little bit longer to recieve them. Fingers crossed that they will actually ship on the new (expected) date!

I saw it, available since March. Nkon will send the datasheet only after paying for the order, so they would send it to you. If you have it available, I would appreciate it if you could send it to me.

I have made a request, so let’s see if I will actually recieve it!

2 Thanks

Isn’t that kinda weird? How can you make an informed decision, information transparency and all of that.

Apparently the document is labeled as ‘Confidential’ by Samsung and Samsung also notes that “they reserve all rights of disposal such as copying and passing on to third parties”, so apparently it can not be freely be distributed (by Nkon).

From what I understand it’s also not exactly a regular datasheet with for example number of (charge) cycles, internal resistence and continuous discharge current, but more a specific document about the technical changes in construction, compared to the 40T3, so not all that usefull for us probably.

Especially the changes in construction would be great to know. If nothing significant has changed why should I buy this T5 cell instead?

1 Thank

It seems that it’s not likely that Nkon will be shipping out the 40T5 anytime soon. Expected shipping date already changed from the 20th of February to the 1st of March, but also today they weren’t in stock.

Now it is listed on their website as “not available”.

It sucks, because they haven’t got a comparable high drain cell in stock at the moment; the Molicel P42A and P45B are expected to arrive somewhere in April. The only viable option they have are P42A’s with a button top spotwelded onto them, but they ask a premium of (almost) 3 euros each for that, compared to the normal/last known price of flat top P42A’s.

1 Thank

I don’t know if they ship across EU, but Finnish battery seller has P45B and P30B’s in stock.

1 Thank

NKON has the VTC6A in stock. Close enough to a 40T3. Its on the shorter side so it works well in lights that like to crush things, so I often use it in Hanks and Fireflies.

1 Thank

You’re right, I totally missed those! :dizzy_face:

I need to use an (Convoy) adapter anyway, since the flashlight they are going in (Sofirn Q8 Plus) requires button tops, so the adapter will (slightly) make up for the fact that they are a bit on the shorter side.

Thanks for the tip!

If you get something with a slightly raised positive like p42a’s you don’t need button tops. I tried the convoy adapters trick with mine and there wasn’t enough space. But mine has the springs bypassed with 18ga so maybe they just won’t compress enough anymore because the adapters work fine on my sp36…although, itd be really easy to replace the q8 plus springs with Hank’s small BeCu ones, adapters would probably fit then. But mines been working fine with the p42a flattops

3 Thanks

I’ve only got one P42A at the moment, but mine doesn’t have a slightly raised flat top, but is actually completely flush with the rest of the cell/wrap. I also remember a topic where this was discussed and someone else also had a few P42A with a flush flattop.

But at the moment the P42A’s aren’t in stock (at Nkon) for at least another month, so I would have to source them somewhere else for a good/competitive price.

I messaged Nkon yesterday for some more info or a suggestion/proposal, so I will wait and see what they have to say.