Scallywag's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Modified Light Category

It is thicker but the real issue is that the original emitter, and therefore the centering ring, was a 3030 Osram white flat. So the 3535-size 519A didn’t fit that centering ring. I fashioned something that fit around the 519A, but it didn’t fit the reflector (the old centering ring had a lip that fit inside the reflector opening). So nothing actually held the base of the reflector in place (other than pressure maybe once the pill was screwed in fully?) until I glued it.

When I sourced this driver I never expected it to arrive this year. As it is, it arrived via USPS in the last mail delivery of the year, with only about 27 hours to the challenge’s end.

Rey’s driver is nice. It is two boards, the top with a narrower diameter, and surprisingly compact. They are rigidly connected somehow; I did not investigate how they’re put together (gift horse, mouth, ain’t broke don’t fix it).

And I’m not done yet! I need to get the text off the head.

Here is the E05 with some cousins:

It is ~1mm shorter. It is 53g without the cell; I am getting 56 for the pineapple and 65 for the Lan. It now uses the same driver. They all support a trit tail. The pocket clip is slightly better imo. And it only cost me about $20 more and a few hours of extra labor compared to the Reylights.
Basically what I’m saying is, don’t do this mod. Buy a Reylight.

P.S. The Reylights are constructed better, too.

2 Thanks

Alright, the build is complete!
I had to use a flap wheel on the dremel:

I used a wire brush wheel on the dremel to clean it up:

It looks good and feels pretty cool.

Build completed with an hour to spare. :+1:

2 Thanks

Congratulations, Scallywag. :sunglasses:

Nice to see that you managed to finish your flashlight! :+1: