Scallywag's 11th Annual Old Lumens Challenge Entry - Modified Light Category

Hello everyone

I am planning to work on a Manker E05 Ti. Pics to come. Plans to come.

1 Thank

Reserved.

Found the light and opened it
There’s already a cap missing off the stock driver, I’ve had it open before but not done anything.
As much as I want to hot-rod it, the aluminum pill has a thin shelf and not much space to add anything behind the shelf. And it’s titanium, so the thermals are doomed there.

I am thinking Convoy’s T3 driver and a dedomed 519A 5700K should be nice. Let’s see what I can manage.

Can you fit a copper heat sink in it and make it a mule :stuck_out_tongue:

Dragged out the calipers, 1.5mm shelf thickness

I might be able to fit a 1mm thick copper disc behind the shelf? Depends on driver component height.

Hmm it could do the mule thing, or if I could find some much shorter TIR for the head or something. But I think I’m okay doing a Manker Convoy T3 Ti, essentially. Better pocket clip and aesthetics imo on the manker, except for all this text on the head. I’ll have to see what I can do about that.

P.S. I am taking pictures but I’m gonna have to retroactively upload and add them haha

2 Thanks

If only you could make the writing look like the star wars intro lol.

Looks like you have a few good spots for tritium vials.

For any one who doesn’t know what the Manker E05 Ti looks like.

1 Thank

My 519A are on 16mm MCPCB, which won’t fit the pill. I’m measuring the original (aluminum, ~0.92mm thick) MCPCB at ~13.2mm diameter. Instead of trimming a 16mm MCPCB down that far, I think I’m going to reflow the 519A onto one of my 12mm MCPCBs. While it’s warm, I am planning to knock the dome off as well. It will be my first 519A dedome (though not my first dedome - in fact I’ve successfully dedomed a couple XM-L2 accidentally :crazy_face:)

The driver will be much closer - I may have to shave some of the edge down. I have yet to warm up the soldering iron so I can’t lay it flat on the pill to check (wires for the old driver are in the way).

3 Thanks

Looking good should be a nice EDC once finished. whats the stock driver do amps wise? is it 14500 only?

I’m not sure what the stock driver did. I do know it had Strobe in the main sequence… It took AA/14500. It was honestly pretty throwy but the emitter (one of the White Flat varieties) is super under-driven in it. Which isn’t surprising with a dual-fuel driver and hardly any heatsinking.

Yeah, it should be a fantastic EDC when I’m done. Dual fuel with decent UI, good switch, titanium host, dedomed 519A 5700K… and a much better pocket clip than my Convoy T3. If I’m honest with myself, the pocket clip is like 75% of the reason I’m doing this mod instead of buying a T3. The other 25% has gotta be sunk cost fallacy because I bought this entire light for the express purpose of modding.

1 Thank

I’ve recently swapped a 719a with Convoy’s 6V2A driver into my T3 Ti and can confirm thermals in a 14500 Ti light are abyssmal.

On the bright side I can just about get around 1000lm OTF which is pretty good for a 14500 light, and the tint is surprisingly neutral for being overdriven.

Also by pumping a bit of Nyogel into the switch it can dampen the click sound while retaining tactility which I really like.

1 Thank

It begins

The unsoldering done. Driver and MCPCB removed.
The donor board (these 12mm copper MCPCBs came with XP-G2s on them)

Ready to reflow. There’s another victim here (Wuben E7)!

And I’m not sure how the driver is going to fit here. It’s worse than I expected…

Well, I’ll burn that bridge when I come to it.

I filed down a driver as far as I could but the components don’t have the required clearance for the tiny shelf on the pill. I don’t have any other options for a driver for it so this entry is concluded in failure. Thanks for reading.

So with 26 hours remaining I’ve gotten hold of a single Reylight AA-size driver. Should be good modes, dual fuel support… I have yet to definitively determine if it will fit the Manker E05 Ti pill. Stay tuned in the next 25 hours and, now, about 56 minutes.

3 Thanks

Have you considered just shortening the pill and placing a non-conductive spacer ring between it and the driver? Something like this:

2 Thanks

It looks like the Reylight driver should be a very good fit:

1 Thank

Okay, I am attempting to glue the driver to the pill. It doesn’t have to be very strong but there’s no other sort of retention here - the original driver from Manker was glued in. I am trying superglue but if it doesn’t stick I’ll use E6000. Shown below, a pair of tweezers are being used to gently hold the driver to the pill:

Okay, the light works!
I got the new LED connected and thermal paste (MX4) applied:

“No clean” flux, huh? smh…

Cleaned up as best I could. It looks a little better! I swear!
Okay, now for my improvised… well, it’s not a centering ring, but it does get the reflector height correct and prevent the reflector shorting to stuff:

I tried to assemble it like this several times and could not get the reflector even remotely close to centered. What I ended up doing was super gluing (again with that cyanoacrylate…) the MCPCB in place (who knows if that will hold), the gasket in place, and the reflector to the gasket. It was holding after five minutes when I held it right-side-up and upside-down to make things hang from the glue joints🤷‍♂️
Next up, the light didn’t work. I eventually figured out - and I was afraid of this when I started with the superglue - that the driver was not getting Battery negative (-) contact. Pictured below is my improvised fix:

Anyway, I have light output on NiMh:

And the Opple 3 readings, on Low, for NiMh:

That’s duv -0.0069 (Nice!)
And it works with LiIon as well:

And the Opple 3 readings, on Low, for LiIon:

That gives duv -0.0043
It seems to get slightly cooler (~4100K-4200K) on High with the Lithium Ion, but the duv stays in a similar range.
There are two cosmetic modifications left to make on this light. The first is to do something about the markings on the head. I have a plan - it involves a dremel and some brushes, but since it’s 1:30 AM here that will have to wait until tomorrow.
The other piece of the puzzle will be a surprise but I will post it when complete. I think I’ve got about 17.5 hours remaining, so I have time for some sleep tonight :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Okay the “surprise” is finished and my new Sofirn SF16 made it quick and easy:

Purple trit vial :metal:

2 Thanks

Looking good, the new MCPCB is thicker than the original and is causing issues with the reflector?

Great finish!

1 Thank