Scratch Build with 7x XHP70

Nice job, how long did it take to build?

Cool

Nice. I agree with The Driver. I would shave the LEDs for more throw.

You are driving each LED at around 25W. They can handle double or triple that pretty reliably. And I guess your active cooling could also handle the extra load? And it looks like you have a lot of room for batteries in there!

That thing it’s pretty awesome but I can hear it screaming. “Paint me flat black!!!”

That is an amazing light you built. I love it, well done. :slight_smile: :beer:

A lot more than they are rated for in the spec sheet.

If you use XHP70.2s you can get the same output as your 7 LEDs out of only 2-3 LEDs.

Very impressive RattleSnake!

Was this a UFO that came down to check it out? :open_mouth:

I strongly recommend you resist the tempation to drive leds any harder, the plastic it is made of could melt. Or even worse. I am not sure this kind of active cooling would be enough. According to the graph here Cree XHP70 up to 4022 Lumens and XHP50 up to 2546 lumens - Multi-die leds. - #576 by djozz - LED Flashlights – General Info - BudgetLightForum.com a single xhp 70 driven to the max lumens can pull around 90 watts. Theoretically speaking, if you had a battery robust enough to deliver such amps to all 7 xhp 70s, you would have to deal with approximately 630 watts, and I doubt your plastic tube body would survive.

I would drive the LEDs with a current where runtime and heat are manageable, so maybe like 1-2h.

Shaving the LEDs will make it look brighter without changing the power consumption.

Can’t remember sorry, I built it 2.5 years ago, still going strong today.

All I have to do is adjust the pots and they will have more power!
Plenty of room for batteries, body is 4 inch tube, head is 6 inch.

2 reasons why I didn’t paint it,

1: I wanted a Macguyver look
2: Paint on plastic seems to scratch easy.

I might end up swapping them to 70.2’s and turn the drivers.

A couple of moths sucked in by the light!

What makes you say that? the body stays at room temp.
Battery isn’t an issue, my other “torch” pulls 1500 watts.

This kind of build would fit right into the Scratch-made comp, which is held every year.

Maybe you could join in the excitement later this year? :+1: :beer: :partying_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

When is that held?

Usually around October.

You can check out some of the creations in the Giveaways and Contests section.

looks like fun, I could enter this one or my big 1500 watt monster.

You would have to build a fresh light, from when the next comp begins :+1: