Second Attempt: COURUI with LD-36 driver ~ Series Conversion ~ BETA version ~ Don't Try This At Home

Right on! That’s what I did and I’m loving the results. Still ticked about these 5A drivers. I wrote them about them too and also reviewed them saying exactly what it did wrong. I think I posted it hear as well someplace but I’m not sure where.

They say they do “best” with SST’s they didn’t say anything about them not working with XM-L2. I just assumed that as long as I had it on a sinkpad I would be fine. They need to update their description to say they don’t work with XML.

I’m going to write them again and I hope you will too. Might at least get them to change their description and save someone else a lot of time and effort.

Just what amps were you aiming for?

Well, I linked up two FT 1.4A drivers and got 2.8A so I guess I did it right. High was OK, but some of the other modes whined like crazy. I needed to know if could do it.

Now I can order a momentary Qlite and slave another one to it. Sixteen 380 chips. Will that be enough?

Congrats on getting them to work.

That would be enough for me. If the heatsinking was better on this light I would say you could go for even more but really that is plenty and will be a ton of light. It’s pushing it pretty darn hard.

Yeah, i don’t want to go through all the work I did building the copper pill on my last COURUI again. I was going for 7A. Wasted a lot of time for a fail.
This time I’ll just use a Noctigon mounted on another copper round to help raise it up.

I have done that on a few lights and it helps a lot, especially with de-domed emitters. Getting them farther up into the reflector is a must.

All you have to do with the slave driver is to cut the leg that goes to vdd. That would be (from left to right), the third leg on the driver, above the amtel1332. The pin is above the 13 in 1332. (qlite driver). You already got the rest, jump the vdd pin from master to slave and use both of the led - leads together, to the led.

The whining could just be poor ground. 6080mA for 16 chips. Remember battery sag and higher Vf of the led, when figuring it out. 6080mA is fine, but I doubt you will get more than 5.4 amps and that for only a short while, but that’s just because of the sag and resistance. More chips won’t help that.

I looked at cutting the third leg and figured I’d make a big mess trying to cut it. I have a hot air reflow, so it only takes seconds to remove the entire component. With the component gone, I have more room to solder that wire onto the VDD. I’m have problems with the tiny stuff.