Well, I'm at again. My second COURUI Mod. My first try ended with a disastrous "thread fail"
This time I'm going to use a 5A LD-36 driver. High-Med-Low plus ramping.
This is just a Beta test build. Quick and dirty until I determine that I'm able to obtain a workable 3 x 18650 series conversion. I hooked it up to the stock emitter on aluminum. I'll worry about Noctigons and such later.
It fits in OK, a little raised on one side. I don't know if its resting on a component, or if I just need to and down some of those little press fit protrusions. Anyway, it's snug and flat enough. I'll look into it a little later.
i wasn't getting ground connectivity to the body so I inserted a 20 gauge copper head pin through the ground via hole and curled it around the base of the head.
That works. I tested it with leads from two cells and got light.
Next I have to figure out how get the three cells in series so the connect to that single cell center contact. Obviously this driver was designed for use with a battery carrier.
Since it was already built and sitting in my junk box I used the rear contact plate with a Clickie conversion from my failed mod.
I swapped the long spring for another short one.
Now for the ugly part. I didn't do any real measurements, I just slapped everything together. Quite frankly, I didn't hold much hope for success.
A piece of circuit board, some pluming fasteners and tin snips.
After soldering everything in place I used a Dremel with an engraving bit and isolated what needed to be isolated using a DMM to make sure it succeeded.
I soldered a copper pin through a drilled hole to carry the current to the other side of the board.
The yellow in the center is a bit of Klapton tape just to be on the safe side.
After the spring was soldered I sanded off the remaining copper coating.
The board sits too high because the divider legs are too long. I knew that would happen, but I didn't want to do any meticulous work until I know if the darn thing will work. I had to add two magnets on top of each cell for contact.
This whole contraption looks like a great big short circuit waiting to happen.
Hmmm. It seems to work. No sizzles or sparks.
Now to screw the body into the head. This is where a big short is most likely going to happen. Because of the too long legs on the board, the tube won't thread completely into the head.
Hmmm. I got light
The side switch works, and so does my custom Clickie tail switch. That's the tailcap from my failed mod. its been baked, so it's a different colour.
It's working, but it's not right. I'm getting high medium low, but the high wont hold its current.
I hooked a DMM to the emitter and high instantly drops from 4.8A down to about 2.5A, flashes and ramps to 1.5A, and holds steady. I can click through hi-med-low. But if I stop on hi, it drops down to med.
I know this whole thing is cobbled together as a test build and resistance is probably rampant, so I'll have to solve this before I redesign my series contact board.
I'm going to pull the driver and hook it up a 3 x 18650 series battery holder to make sure the driver is working properly.
Back to the drawing board.