Seeking MAGNET Source For My Flashlights Tail

I have been going through a lot of budget flashlight testing, and the flashlight I have settled on is very good except for one item: The tail piece is empty- no magnet.

Does anyone have a source for a magnets? Depth of the recess is 1/4". Diameter is about 5/8 to 7/8, as the recess is curved on the inside edge. I figure I could file off the curves on a larger magnet.

A ceramic magnet is not strong enough, so I need a rare earth or Neodymium.

This is not the exact light I am getting, but pretty close(as this seems to be the going style for my needs):

They have a large number of different shapes and sizes. A tip, the N52 rated magnets are the strongest.
Finding the right size can be a challenge because the list rings, disks, shapes separately.
I have dealt with them several times. Shipping and customer service has been great.
Also they have lots of info on magnets and projects using them if you are interested.

There are other places selling magnets online if you do a search. I just recommend K&J because I have used them for a long time.

I don’t know whether you have the light yet, But make sure you look at the tail cap assembly closely to make sure you have room to put a magnet in there… and not interfere with anything. Sometimes you can put a magnet under or inside a spring. But pay attention to spring compression when using your cell of choice. It can be tricky. Measure, measure, measure !! :smiley:

I know, I have more magnets than I will ever need, because upon trying many, I had to go back and buy different sizes.
Even if something fits, it may not have enough strength (going through the thickness of the cap) to hold the light horizontally.
I always pick the strongest magnet in the required size that is available.
If you don’t have room inside the tail cap, or can’t fit something strong enough in there, you can always glue a magnet to the outside.

2 Thanks

My choice too. Kj is the best I’ve seen.

You can add magnets attached to the clip with heat shrink
If you are buying really low budget lights just jb weld them to the side of the light . Magnets on the side of lights give you additional positioning options you may not get with magnets in the tail. Lights also stick better on the side of things like the refrigerator when using shear strength … you can get away with much less magnetic strength on the side of a light .

Thank you for the source.

Whoa, gold plated magnets?? Now that’s fancy.