Selfbuilt's Acebeam Defender P17 review

My latest review:

Acebeam Defender P17

This light is a great example of the larger “tactical” style of 1x21700 lights. Thanks to the larger mass, it is capable of greater initial - and sustained - high output than most smaller lights. And coupled with the XHP70.3 HI emitter and a larger head with smooth reflector, it has an outstanding beam profile. Here is a teaser runtime:

I should mention the dual switch design as well - a protruding forward clicky and an electronic secondary switch. Switch design and feel are great, but I do find some of the mode set options a little unusual. Check out my full review for details.

1 Thank

More than 2000 lumens continuously for over an hour… Staggering performance : - )

1 Thank

I gpt closer to 1500 for High mode but still really good.

Yes, the calibration of different lightboxes will vary, so I can only speak to relative performance to other lights in mine. And so, whatever the exact lumen value, this is excellent performance.

What this really illustrates to me, even moreso than the impressive sustain of the Acebeam - is just what incredible value Wurkkos has given to us in the TS22, and Sofirn with the C8L. Both of which I’ve found for below USD30 at times (depending on sales, coupons, and the platform you use) - a quarter the cost of the Acebeam! Not to take away anything from Acebeam - they’re obviously very heavy hitters. It’s a good time to be a flashlight enthusiast, even when you’re on a budget!

2 Thanks

If you use an Acebeam and a Sofirn, you immediately realize its worth the extra money.

1 Thank

Yes I’m aware of that. I knew someone would mention this :slight_smile: I wasn’t trying to make it seem like Acebeam is not worth it. I know from first hand experience, owning their lights as well. I was just trying to say how much you get from the Sofirn and Wurkkos. It’s actually quite ridiculous for the price you pay.

1 Thank

Yeah, Sofirn offers more bang for your buck, but some Acebeam flashlights (like the E70-AL) offer a decent amount of bang for your buck.
Some Acebeam flashlights are kinda overpriced, though.

I dont think Acebeam is marketing their lights as in the budget class. I think they are just trying to make the highest quality lights.

1 Thank

:+1:

Yes, agree with all the comments above. The TS22 and C8L are remarkably good lights for the price, and both super impressive. In general though, the Acebeam lights have higher build quality - the point being, perhaps not proportionately to the price differential in all cases.

To be fair, I have handled some other Wurkkos and Sofirn lights that are not as impressive as the TS22 and C8L - those really seem to be star performers.

If only every light that Sofirn releases with an XHP50.3 has a driver as good as the C8L… :smile:

1 Thank

Great review! Very detailed. I noticed a similar quirk with the UI on the smaller P16.

Acebeam’s tactical range would be much better with a few changes to the UI.

Yes, love the HI emitters, and that circuit. I have more reviews coming of other sofirn and wurkkos lights, and I know that flat regulation is not always typical. TBC …

1 Thank

Yes, aside from UI quirks, I find this to be an outstanding light.

Hi, where from you have such fantastic results for P17 High running time over 2000lm one hour? Coz all others serious reviews shows something else by High mode: 1500lm 10min, then 900lm two hours…

Hi, where from he has such fantastic results for P17 High running time over 2000lm one hour? Coz all others serious reviews shows something else by High mode: 1500lm 10min, then 900lm two hours…

The only thing I can think of is that Selfbuilt’s sample is different. Maybe pre production, or maybe Acebeam silently changed thermal properties during production.

Variations in testing equipment makes a big difference. The 1500 lumens is probaly closer to the actual output. My setup has been calibrated pretty precisely.

1 Thank

As explained on my site, my lightbox calibration is from an earlier time period. Scroll down to the bottom of the page here for an explanation for my modern reviews: https://flashlightreviews.ca/index.php/methodology/lightbox-design/

Simply put, these numbers are consistent with the calibration standard I had originally developed (explained in the first part of that page). As always, I make no claim that these are accurate lumen estimates. They are simply consistent ones – both internally consistent among the new models, and backwards consistent with my older reviews.

As mentioned several times on that page (and in all my reviews), I know my lumen estimate calibration is a bit on the high side, but I don’t see a point in trying to start over from scratch at this stage with a whole new setup. Best just to continue with my existing calibration standard, so all my new reviews and older reviews remain consistent with one another.

2 Thanks