Selfbuilt's Wurkkos TS22 review

I hear what you are saying. I’ve holding off for that specific reason. Just wish they would stop with the silly automatic lock out.
It’s not a consumer off the shelf granny light. Shouldn’t be treated as such.

But there is one, it’s bugged raising the parasitic drain to 2-4mA , it’s combined with the button led indicator behavior

As an update, I just tested the available current on the power bank feature, using it to charge my Samsung Galaxy S21+ phone.

I measured a pretty impressive charge rate of 2.15A.

1 Thank

Following your review and updates. Seems such a great light save for a few glaring shortcomings. I would tempted if the 70.3 HI comes back in stock, but I grabbed a Thrunite TC20 PRO some months ago for that emitter and regulated driver while hoping either Wurkkos TS22 or Sofirn (SP33 version) would be released. Despite the efficiency and output edge of the 70.2, I just can’t stomach the godawful tint shift. The 70.3 HI is far more palatable, and adds a pinch better throw.
Thanks for your detailed analysis. Awesome info.

Fully agree, I generally prefer 70.3 HI emitters myself, for those reasons.

That said, my neutral white TS22 has among the fewest chromatic aberrations I’ve seen for this emitter. Probably just a fluke, as I’ve seen a few doozies in other lights - so I’m glad this one is such a good sample.

I don’t know if you’re into modding at all, but slicing the dome on the 70.2 (IIRC) in my Thrunite T2 made an incredible difference. It warmed the CCT, lowered the DUV (as far as my eyes can tell), and greatly reduced the tint shift.

Yes, it seems that is typically what happens today with dedome jobs (along with slightly lowering the overall output, typically).

No worry. We are developing a new program that can be manually remove locking.

4 Thanks

That’s great to hear Terry, thanks for posting in the thread.

That’s great news! It’s the one thing holding me back from getting one! Will you update us once that has changed? @Wurkkos_Terry

1 Thank

Absolutely! ; )

1 Thank

Thankyou for the review and overview selfbuilt. I have received mine, supposedly a 70.3HI - there’s actually nothing on the box to confirm that though, which is a bit frustrating. Unless XHP70D (on one end of the box) is wurkkos code for the 70.3.

I’ve had a play, and you probably know but didn’t print it: from off you can triple click to go straight into strobe too.

Great hint for the switch light being constantly on as a moonlight mode - I like it. I’m not particularly smart though and was expecting it to be constantly on while the light was in operation - it isn’t. That makes sense of course because of the battery indicator feature; but no green light after battery indicator goes out and the main light is still on.

My shortcoming is that I keep turning the light off when I’m just trying to change modes with a normal click. I have two other lights that work on normal clicks for mode changes so that’s going to require some conscious thought every time I go from using one light to the other.

I’m no expert, but I do like the beam. I bought this light to use while I’m on an electric unicycle at night time.

Update 1: I’m going to leave the pocket clip on mounted inline with the charge port - this is directly opposite to the switch. By design the clip is lightly locked in this position and won’t rotate without some effort. This way I can orient the light in the dark while riding so that I always know where the switch is. It is a nice little and well thought out benefit of the clip. It also kind of locks the light in your hand in that position easily.

Update 2: I found another good reason to have the switch light on. After a ride I hit the switch to kill the light. The switch light is a reminder that I haven’t locked it out yet. With my other lights I often check this because I don’t have a visual clue.

Just look at the emitter… You can easily distinguish the XHP 70.3HI version, as it’s the only XHP 70 without the dome.

1 Thank

any update on the high parasitic drain, in the no auto-lock modes?
I message you in december 2022 about it, and since then, you already did a green version, and a XHP 70.3 Hi version, but no update about the high parasitic drain.

Yes, I’ve noticed this for both Sofirn and Wurkkos, they often mistake the order codes for the emitter code on their packaging and manuals. For example, XHP70.2 emitters (both HD and HI) have order code product numbers in the form of XHP70B-xx-xxxxxx-etc. XHP70.3 emitters (again, both HD and HI) have product codes in the form of XHP70D-xx-xxxxxx-etc.

So “XHP70D” tells you it is a 70.3, and since they only sell the HI version of the 70.3, that is presumably what you have. But as pointed out above, you just need to look at the emitter to tell the difference between HD and HI - HD has the big fat dome, and HI looks like a bare emitter.

And thanks for the comment about triple-clicking from Off for Strobe - I’ll add that to my shortcut list in the review.

1 Thank

Awesome - it looks like a flat 4 squares to me :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve updated my post (above) re disabling the auto lockout - I have no idea re the parasitic charge though.

No, that sounds like the manual lockout. You can activate it with 4 clicks and deactivate with 2+ clicks.

The auto lockout kicks in after 3 mins of inactivity, and can’t be permanently deactivated in the initial crop of TS22 lights (from Terry’s comment above, it sounds like they are working on it). The little trick of activating the switch LED “moonlight” feature is an impromptu way of disabling auto-lock-out, since it won’t engage if the switch LED is activated.

You can test to see if it auto lock-out is present by simply leaving the battery/tailcap connected (but the switched LED set to off) for >3 mins, and see if the lockout mode self activates.

1 Thank

Ahh, you’re right. I’ll amend my post

Wow I didn’t even realize SELFBUILT is back in the business!!! So happy to see you back. I used to study your reviews and charts all the time!

The TS22 is so efficient. I also own one but I dont like the auto-lock feature. The only way to turn it off is by turning on the green aux light which is really annoying.

1 Thank