SFT40 Thrower Battle - Wurkkos TD01C vs Sofirn IF22A vs Convoy Z1

My new Wurkkos TD01C showed up today and I decided to compare 3 of my SFT40 6000K-6500K 21700 throwers.
All 3 had fully charge batteries.

The Challengers( Wurkkos TD01C, Sofirn IF22A, Convoy Z1/8A Buck):

Sofirn IF22A:

Wurkkos TD01C:

Convoy Z1:

Left-TD01C and Right-Z1:

It’s kinda hard to tell but the Wurkkos TD01C is the winner in my book!

5 Thanks

I’m surprised how circular the SFT-40 looks

1 Thank

Great comparison and excellent photos. What was the distance to your target (tree)?

1 Thank

Good question, it’s about 300ft

Great comparison. Happy to hear the TD01C was a winner for you!

1 Thank

TD01C is a ridiculous thrower. Truly impressive.

2 Thanks

Thanks for the comparison.

I’ve got a Z1 with the SFT40 and the plain 8 Amp Convoy driver- so I was very interested. Did you compare the output drop off over a couple of minutes? I know my Z1 doesn’t seem to drop much on the highest setting.

1 Thank

The TD01C holds its output really well. My Z1, also SFT40 8A buck, gets hotter in my limited comarisons.

1 Thank

Let me suggest you get a L21B. It’s even more impressive than the TD01C

3 Thanks

It was raining so I didn’t stay outside too long.
But the Z1 got noticeably warmer faster than the TD01C.
I used fully charged Molicel P42A in both lights.

1 Thank

I know it’s not exactly in the OP but I’m ultimately waiting on the Sofirn SF26 to have a regulated driver because I really prefer the USB cover design for the Sofirn. The beam shots are really nice and the comparison further convinces me that my Cometa/SFT40 is sufficient for now. Thank you!

1 Thank

One thing I should mention.
It’s hard to tell in the beam shots but the TD01C beam seems to have much better color rendering vs the Z1.
I don’t know for sure what’s causing it but I suspect it’s the difference between the TIR and Aspheric Lens.
In the beam shots the Z1 looks cooler but there’s more to it than that.

2 Thanks

Has this been officially confirmed or is it just people hoping it will happen?

I haven’t heard anything about the Sofirn model. No one really mentions it (as much as I have read) but there’s been, almost, a requirement of forum members of that on the Wurkkos model. I’m just wishing.

1 Thank

Instead of wishing you should message Barry or sofirn directly.

The TD01C buck driver came about as a result of a lot of people collectively pestering and requesting of it from Wurkkos’s rep Terry.

Having said that - I don’t have much hope in Sofirn any longer. They are far less responsive to community feedback than they used to be. There’s more luck in Wurkkos. Perhaps you can ask @Wurkkos_Terry if they could adopt the TS26 usb-port in some of the Wurkkos models.

3 Thanks

This makes perfect sense as an aspheric collects only emission to the front of an LED, not emission to the side. The beam would thus be much more blue-dominated and miss out on reds and greens, resulting in higher CCT and lower CRI despite more magenta tint.

Unrelated, but this is essentially the reason why I personally dislike the idea of high CRI mules.

2 Thanks

Thanks for your trust my man. :wink:

4 Thanks

When will TD01C be available on Amazon with good price/discount?

I’m not sure. In shipping yet