Shadow TC750X

So it depends on how you look at it:

cynicists - these jokers are gaming the specs, they claim 1200lms but then it steps down!!!

pragmatists - cool, a 1200lms light that steps down to prevent overheating but I have option to blast 1200 for 3 min when necessary!

The problem w/example you cited is that a sub-$20 XM-L pumping out 600 can't step up to 1200lms (unless you bought another one and taped it together...)

EDIT: I haven't validated yet whether or not you can re-engage H after step down but I suspect you can.

FWIW, even SureFire w/their M3LT doesn't output 400lms for the entire run since it's non-regulated.

But it’s not cheating - it does make the claimed lumens. Bit like a Corvette doesn’t make 505hp all the time either.

It’s like watching a movie trailer on youtube and then buying “expensive” cinema ticket just to be blazed with exciting scenes 3 minutes here and there, and the rest is boring “already seen” story… :slight_smile:
45 bucks is my last offer :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks TurboBB, not good news if you’re wanting this as a bike light. :frowning: . I’m hoping someone finds a way to mod it and get rid of that pesky stepdown as this form factor is exactly what I’m looking for. Not so bad if you’re just walking around as you can just keep stepping it back up to high mode I assume if you want more continued brightness.

I highly doubt that they done stepdown thing just to piss as of, there is just not enough cooling surface for 2xU2, and extensive running this flashlight @ 1200 lumens could lead to overheating. The fact that they made this mode time dependent is telling me that they could not accomplish faster heat transfer from emitters to fl surface! If that wasn’t the problem then you would get longer 1200+lumens runtime while riding your bike at cold weather (better cooling) or shorter runtime at 1200+lumens if it’s warm weather and there is no additional airflow to cool down the fl.
Just guessing :nerd_face:

Shadow have a reputation for being conservative when it comes to how hard they drive their emitters, which is a shame as the heatsinking their hosts offer are built for much higher amperages. Fair enough though considering they’re not making their lights for smart people like us on this forum, rather for your average Joe blow who knows nothing about the technology in their hands. I have no doubt this flashlight with air cooling from mountain biking would sustain high mode for long periods. 2 x emitters at 2A (4A in total) doesn’t sound like such a big deal, as my shadow VG10 can handle 3A no problems while mountain biking and it’s a much smaller host. The heat transfer from the shadow lights I have x 3 are top knotch as there are no pills, they’re attached directly to thick aluminium which is part of the host. I’d assume the TC750x is the same.

1200 lumens for 3 minutes will find most of what I need. 600 the rest of the time no problem, so I’ve finally ordered one. I do regret that I can’t stick a pair of the 4” self defense bezels on it.

texas - just FYI that my sample wouldn't power up on a single cell (even though the specs say they do, I'm checking w/Jason on this). Something to keep in mind if you do go the shorty route. 2 x 18350's will be your only recourse in that config and you'd have to be mindful that they truly are only 35mm in length as I have these UF 18350's that are 37.3mm ea and they won't fit.

However, here's an interesting discovery; I graphed a run on 2x18350's to test whether H can be reinitiated after the step down and after the initial one at roughly 3min I shut it off for a minute or so. Then after it stepped down again, I let it run briefly in med and low before going back to H and this time, it stayed there for ~6.5min before stepping down:

I then initiated a third cycle back to H after which both cells were around 3.58V at the end of this run. While the light did get warm (98F w/a small fan on) it's nothing to be concerned about (caveat is that this is w/ambient temp of 69F).

I recently got in the new RediLast 3400's for runtime testing. These will replace the 3100's in my reviews going forward. Here's the TC750X graph on H w/them:

I'll do a run w/constant switch back to H to see how long it'll last in that state but based on current draw at tailcap of 1.88A (before stepdown) these RL3400's should run for ~1.8hrs (not taking into consideration add'l boost as the voltage drops). Anyways, tons more testing (and the review) to come.

Cheers,
Tim

On 18350’s I only use AW IMR’s and short runs are the plan with a possible mount setup for a short barrel ar-15 in 6.8mm. Also in short configuration for cargo pocket EDC. I try to keep all my lights short, longer ones tend to get left in the car. I’m a real fan of single cell 26650’s, 18650’s and 18350’s as these fit duty belts and pockets fairly well. Would love to run this on a 3400 mah 18650 but thats just not in the cards. Now anyone out there listening to my rambling I would love a true dual headed P60 with dropins, one side a quad RP-G2 for flood and a single XM-l on the other for throw in 18650 or 26650.

Video review being processed (please check link in a few if it doesn't load):

EDIT: Video now up.

Seems something went awry w/first upload, it's fixed now.