Shorty Match Mod, My first build. (She's dead)

Hi everyone. I’ve just fairly recently purchased my first real led flashlight, a nitecore srt7. Almost immediately my mind started wondering, what can I do to it/ other lights? That’s what led me here and thanks to all the information that members here have made available I decided to take on a project. So here it is, my take on the classic “Match Mod”.

It’s a AA mini mag cut down for a P60 drop in. I used a claimed 1200 lumen XP-L drop in from fast tech. The head is bored out on my lathe rather than drilled and instead of using the stock reflector I cut down the P60 reflector to fit. The tail cap is now a brass plug and the battery loads from the front. Currently running on an EFest 14500, she’s pretty bright but not for too long…

I finished up the make it pretty stuff on the bezel and did the checkering on the end with the lathe (something I won’t be doing again soon, holy tedious batman.)

Anyway, thanks for checking out my work, I hope you like it and I hope my images show up as this is my first post.

The ultrafire appears to have ultra crapped out. Try try again…

That all sounds nice… :smiley: :smiley:

Could you upload some larger pictures? These are so small I can’t see what’s going on. Also welcome to the forum. :wink:

Ok I got it this time finally. Sorry about the crappy thumbnails like I said this is my first time with this.

Aha, looks pretty sweet.

My own preference would be for the checkering to meet or extend into the head - but maybe I’d have a different opinion if I’d been the person operating the lathe. :-x

Thanks, and good idea. I was kindof afraid to chuck on the threads or I probably would have done it that way. If I try again maybe I’ll make a mandrel and use your idea.

Was the brass plug premade?

• A longer plug could be pressed in and then cut off after the checkering was done. That would provide something to put in the chuck.
  • If plug is premade I think that the workpiece could still be placed between two centers. Maybe a lathe dog could be attached to the keyring hole on the plug.

Those are just my thoughts; I do not have strong lathe knowledge and I have barely any experience turning.

I made the plug. The light was already all put together, the checkering was more or less an afterthought. I got bored… My lathe is an old schaublin 102 plain turning model so I’m somewhat limited with what I can do with it.

I like it. Nice job.

That is one great looking micro mag. The lathe sure makes for some clean looking metalwork.

Very nice. The square knurling certainly makes a change from the diamond style.

Thanks kyfishguy and MRsDNF. I’ve seen and learned from posts by both of you and admire your work.

(Edit: I wish it was knurling. Single point cuts with the compound slide. I guess you could call it broaching in a way.)

Thanks as was Match and others a big inspiration when I joined up. :slight_smile:

Good stuff. My next project will be the 6D mag I just got from a friend. Hoping to light some fires. I know you guys have experience with this and look forward to making some more chips.

Can you elaborate on the process you used to do this? I don’t think that I understand.

What a great first post !

Welcome to the forum .
Looking forward to more of your mods .

I used the same 60 degree pointed bit for both operations. My lathe has an indexing plate on the headstock. I turned my bit 90 degrees and fed it in to the work with the compound slide one the lathe. It took about 5 passes per groove. .020 first pass .015 second pass .010 third pass .005 fourth pass then another pass to clean it up at the same place. Repeat 47 times…

The circular cuts were common lathe work with the same tool. The same could be done with a milling machine or even a drill press if you you’re creative enough to hold the spindle and position the part correctly.

Broaching might have not been the best comparison. Metal shaping would probably be the best description. It could be done on a lathe or mill. It’s like shaving with metal. Use lots of lube.

I understand now. Much more labor intensive than I can stand! How long did the process take?

Turningbluechips, you have more patience than I can comprehend. :stuck_out_tongue:

It took about an hour and a half. I could probably do it a little quicker now that I have a little bit of experience at it.