Shorty Match Mod, My first build. (She's dead)

Turningbluechips, you have more patience than I can comprehend. :stuck_out_tongue:

It took about an hour and a half. I could probably do it a little quicker now that I have a little bit of experience at it.

Thanks Chips, As MRsDNF said, we both learned at the knee of Match, Old Lumens, and many others. Its nice to think one has contributed to the community in some way.

Can you please give me/us the link?
One day I’ll try the Match Mod…but my skills are so limited… :frowning:

BTW, very good work, thank you for post it!

@Manx - It looks like FT only carries two dropins which make that claim. Here they are.

That’s the one. Forgot it was the XP-L not XML2. I’ve had the drop in sitting around a while.

I didn’t notice that, but in hindsight it’s clearly visible from your photographs. I was more focused on the work you did than the items the work was done to. :slight_smile:

Nice little torch - can’t wait to see what you turn out next :slight_smile:

Welcome to BLF :beer:

Thank you very much sir! :beer:

wow an XP-L with a MiniMag! Sound good!

It’ a really nice drop in, but for more runtime I would have preferred with more volts, so running with 2x14500.

I have 2 old Mini Mag ready to mod…I need a lathe!!! >-)

@Manx

Here is the link to the old thread that inspired me. He uses a 25/32” drill and modifies the original reflector to fit.

Awesome build man! I absolutely love the checkering but im sure it was tedious as you said. I want a mini lathe so bad, super jealous man great work!

My setup is small but it is far from a mini lathe. I wish I had one but it would just be a threading machine. I basically stole the whole setup for $200. Schaublin 102 with a 3/4 hp motor and a VFD. 110 volt made in Switzerland mid 60s best I can tell. Came with about 20 collets, 3 jaw chuck, drive plate, and some tooling. Also has the fine feed tail stock. I’ll have to post some drool shots when I finish giving it a fresh paint job.

(Bench top model with W20 collets)

Yes please on the pictures. :slight_smile:

Guess I better get painting then. I’d really rather make a big mess of turnings but I’ll see what I can do. The headstock is gonna be a real pain in the butt. Lots of tape.

Can anyone recommend a good 14500? I’m using the 700mAh 4.5 amp EFest red. On high if I get 10 mins I’m lucky, though I don’t expect much more.

Yeah I know about it!
I’ve read a lot of time…man, I got to do it!
Thank you :smiley:

TBC, welcomed to the family! What a beautiful job you did on your micro! One day I’ll have a lathe to work with so I don’t have to do mine by bhand any longer. I love the contrast of the knurling and the brass plug idea. I can imagine the grip it must give to the light. Fantastic work!

Oops! :frowning: If you post detailed pictures of the LED and driver we can help with what failed and how to fix it.

Oh I know what went wrong. Your drunken ass friends twist too hard haha. A copper washer under the pill will fix that when I get a new one.

Might be losing some time in regulation with that spring. The Sanyo UR14500 is a good cell for moderate currents