Should I charge my batteries to 4.35v

Ehhh, they’re ‘batteries’ and cost about $5-$9 a piece, so they’re not breaking the bank if you only get 3 years out of them instead of 4.

If you’re not going to charge them up to 4.35v and rock on, why bother buying 4.30v, or 4.35v cells?

Live life on the edge.

Chris

+1

By the time time you use up those prolonged
battery cycles , there will have been lots of
different battery types invented with different
volts to replace what you’re trying to save.
Why not use what you now have to it’s full
potential ?!

Anyone have a list of 4.35 rated 3400mAH cells? I need about 25 cells for an emergency light (12 in, 12 resting in a cool place). While looking I discovered 4.35. I am only going to buy these batteries once. I figure I should get the best currently available. But I am going rather cross-eyed looking for cells rated at 4.35V..

More to the point, it’s the length of time a battery spends at its maximum charge that determines how fast it degrades. That’s an argument for storing them at a lower voltage (and in the refrigerator) and bringing them up to full charge before taking them out to use them.

Are there any chargers that have an option to discharge only to a specific level?

Ideally a voltage where there’s still usable charge in the cell if you’re in a hurry but it can be stored longterm and brought up to full charge fairly quickly?

I haven’t updated this for a while but you can check the voltage column there

I'm not aware of any 3400mAh batteries which have a recommended maximum voltage of 4.35 volts. This capacity battery has a maximum voltage of 4.2 volts.

I thought I saw one. Maybe it was 3200. I have seen too many things.

Hank, I intend to consider leaving the alternate set at a lower charge level and as I noted; cool/cold. The "active" set will probably be fully charged with a top-off every n months. That set (1) has to go when I push the button and for as long a time as possible. My chargers that are suitable all run from 12VDC, so a bit of wiring and I can charge from a car if needed. So I can get up to full charge on set 2while using set 1. Or, just use set 2 partially charged and put set 1 on the chargers.

All of this is probably over doing things. My wife seems to feel I am prone to that. But in an earthquake or night time fire, I want to be able to see what is going on.

Possibly these ones though they are only 3000mAh.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004182/1314900-authentic-lg-icr18650d1-18650-4-35v-3000mah

LG E1 3200mAh cells are 4.35v and so are the LG D1 3000mAh cells. Samsung and Sanyo both make 3000mAh 4.35v cells, but those are as close to 3400mAh as we can currently get.

Chris

Any of the chargers that have selectable voltage like 3.7v would do what youre asking, although not by discharge. They would have have maybe 50-70% charge.

Theres a few that have selectable voltages of 3.7, 4.2 and 4.35. For example the Opus 3100 has an internal switch (need to pop a cover off to access it). I seem to recall someone saying they would buy one and set it permanently to 3.7v and use it purely for storage charging/maintenance of stored cells. Im sure its not the only one.

and I have an Xtar WP2H that offers all three: 3.2v, 3.6v, and 3.8v

Yeah, I’m in earthquake-and-fire country, so there are lots of tradeoffs.

Completely extraneous to the issue in the thread, but looking at light use. What I would really like to do is build a shelter (probably underground) to live through a fire. Probability wise; much higher than the other threats. In 10 years there have been 3 fires within 1-2 miles of us. Go to 15 years, and there was another about 50 ft from our property (across the road). In my mind, that is a lot.

There is only one road. I could go cross country if the road was on fire. My wife has limited mobility. No way she could hack it. A small shelter, with an internal air supply (some tanks) and some amenities, would keep us alive. I need to look at how to protect a small shelter. If I buried it, the door would be the biggest issue. Air conservation could also be complicated in the low pressure at the heart of a firestorm.

Lighting your underground bunker will be the least of your worries. People build and sell various ‘turnkey’ shelters/bunkers, so use Google to research things.

Chris

Deleting so nobody does it :slight_smile:

I don’t think that Efest rewraps 4.35v cells, either from LG, Sanyo or Samsung, so I don’t think that I’d be charging my 3.6/3.7v cells up to 4.35v, if I were you.

Good luck to you, however.

Chris

Yes well aware it’s not the smartest thing but they stay that way for maybe 5 minutes total time. When I have a melt down i’ll be sure to update :slight_smile:

BTW I typo I put the charger settings so it can do 4.35 but the efest only get to 4.32

There should be a big warning on this post. For those that don't know mwfire is charging his batteries way past the manufacturers specification which should never be done. Just because he has dodged the bullet up to now does not mean he will tomorrow. This is not a smart a clever thing to do. Manufacturers have a spec on items for a reason and the dangers of Lithium Ion batteries have been well documented.

Probably should just delete what I do so nobody does it.

deleted.

You really think they’ll burn down going .13 volts over for 5 or 10 minutes max then back down to 3.7? I get an extra half an amp when I juice them up!

Besides if they were going to burn down or blow wouldn’t they do that while i’m pumping 2 to 3 amps in to get them at that level?

I mean I do it all the time with these batteries probably at least 20 times. I attached a picture of how I store them and I keep them in my metal cabinet.
Burn down would be fine but if they blew up!!!

I have some rated for 4.35 as well they get to that level but don’t give me the power the efest batteries do. They rock at 4.2 thou maybe I should just stop juicing them.