Show off your Thrower!

nice thrower beamshot! any photos of the light and the specs?

Wow nice thrower Gaston and great beam shot too. What light is that?

DBSAR I remember that sale and wanted one then but never saw one. Then I bid on a lot of them on e-bay from a clearance place, 5 pieces but it went over $100 and that was way more than I wanted to pay.

I still check the clearance section of all Home Depots in my area when i go to them, as sometimes these discontinued lights can still show up randomly found by store employees. i have seen otehr Defiant lights appear that way long after they been sold out. if i see any DST’s i will grab them even if they are 20 bucks a piece now.

Anyone have a picture of the DST? I have one of the larger Defiants 3C, but I use it mostly to prop open my window in the summer. I know there were several models out, when I purchased mine- and I don’t think I have the true Super Thrower.

Courui D01 with 86mm KD reflector.

625KCd. Currently has an XPG2 R5 de-domed emitter w/Fet driver.

Will get around to upgrading to an XPG2 S4 soon, now that I have a couple.

I’ve been busy lately so haven’t really used these much. Hence, if I get the chance I don’t bust out “a light” I try a couple. I think they all classify as throwers. I have to admit, that modded Trustfire X7 looks good :wink:

uf-1405- currently domed xml2 and (I think) Led4power driver. One day dedomed xpg2
Fivemega- sbt-70 aspheric with wavien direct drive. One day I’ll make a decent bezel
Fivemega- xml2 with dx-sst90 reflector direct drive
Courui- dedomed xml2 and Led4power driver
TK75vn
TK61vn with KD 86mm reflector

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Is a Courui host, buck driver, Xpg2 S4 working almost 6A I had already shared with you here:

Now I work in another super thrower (with reflector) and preliminary tests this exceeding 800 Kcds :open_mouth: when completed I will share a new post with it :wink:

PP,

What heads are on the two 5M hosts?

76 led flashlight and 109 led flashlight

I really need to get set up to measure throw, but I haven’t yet. Right now I have a Courui that I guesstimate would be around 350kcd, but I want to do the KD reflector mod soon. My 1405 isn’t my favorite and isn’t done either, but it’s probably over 300kcd as well. I need more throwers :bigsmile:

Below are the Defiant (DST) lights in their original package when they went on the amazing clearance price of 6.16, (originally they were $29.99, then went on sale at $19.99, then to $6.16 clearance)

Here is a photo of my heavy modded Defiant Super Thrower (DST) pictured in the middle with a modded BTU Shocker and Olight SR90. ( it has a 26650 battery tube in place of the 3-C stock tube)

Speaking of DST's. I still haven't got around to making a non-getto version of this 824kcd (with dedomed XM-L2) light:

Can you send me a link for that 86mm reflector, via PM? thanks

If you don’t get a pm, just search “86mm kd reflector” there are a lot of threads and detailed instructions too. It’s an easy mod in the courui

Got PM from FmC :wink:
also have my first Courui on the way :slight_smile:

There may be other camera hoods/adapters that cut down on the amount of work involved, but with the parts that Linus & I used, I wouldn't call it easy! :)

edit-

Build thread for anyone interested.

Well I haven’t done it yet, but it looked easy. Easier than the mini spotlight ?

In that context, it's relatively easy :)

That’s what I reach for these days. Nice light. Very high quality reflector but limited in diameter. Fits well in the pocket of a cold weather jacket. Get’s the job done by brute force lumen generation in turbo mode. Got asked if I was signalling the I.S.S. with it a few times back in the summer.

This is my best thrower to date. Im using the well marketed and available everywhere Trustfire trip xml t6 3800 lm as a host for three parallel XHP50 j4 5700k being driven by a blf inspired direct drive (Adventure Sport Flashlight design). All of my 18650’s currently on hand suck so I unscrewed an extension so I could use two 18350 eFest IMR 10A cells plus a small spacer. By method of measurement whereas I place my ammeter in series connection to the light and the meter it measures an amp. pull of a lil over 4. My ammeter is swing arm and the leads are 10 inches long 18 gauge wire. The mcpcb lead wires are 20 gauge silicone wrapped.

And oh yeah I almost forgot the part most in question for me. The original XML’s sit on a thin 45mm piece of aluminum. So I added a 4mm thick round aluminum heat sink joined with heat grease. In order to create more exposed surface area, I made thin grooves on the back side. The business end has the original high polish finish.

Links to some pics of it including beam shot.

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6fTIDjnPfzCd0wtOFV4a1lIQzg
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6fTIDjnPfzCV3JjN0ZmN0ZzUkk
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6fTIDjnPfzCcTdUWkduR09MTGs
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6fTIDjnPfzCc2hPMVVkbEUtYVE
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B6fTIDjnPfzCaHFUU3hycmJ2MjA