Simon has an XP-L Hi Convoy C8

I’m a bit confused by part of your comment. I agree that a FET driver would work very well in this light but we’re just not quite there yet in this stock light. There are some nice improvements to the UI and mode groups coming in the near future, but no FET plans quite yet.

Here’s where I get confused. You said you “ordered the 10ic version when it was on sale” but Convoy has never offered a C8 with 10 7135 chips. AR coated glass is offered now for an additional $1 but the highest stock power level is 7135 x 8 (2.8A). Was this ordered from a reseller that offers a modding service? Just curious.

Edit
I see by Teacher’s comment right above mine that he’s probably wondering about the same thing.

Exactly……… :+1: …. :wink:

EDIT: I finally figured out when he said “ic” he was referring to 7135 ’chips’…… I just saw no option for 10 of them.

It’s not a Convoy but a UltraFire version on AliExpress see this post :

:person_facepalming:

Thanks ‘khas’…… :+1:
That is surely a detail worth knowing. :wink:

Sorry. I really think with 9A tolerance on XPL we should soon think about advancing the 3A driver. Ar offer is extremely good!

Heat needs to be a consideration for stock lights, which is why we don’t see too many FET drivers on stock lights.

Wow…
If Convoy and Ultrafire are considered the same C8 then I’ll just hang up my hat and go try to bring my old AA incan. Maglite back to life. :person_facepalming: :weary: :confounded:

XP-L 9A tolerance!? Submerged in liquid nitrogen?

FET driver is not offered simply because the common flashlight user is not ready for them, keep in mind that lots of people use cheap ultrafire and Ebay 6,000mah cells in these flashlights, they will see no benefit from a more powerful driver. Pairing it with a FET driver also requires copper Mcpcb, higher quality heatpaste, thicker wires, better or bypassed springs, and all these modifications add to the cost.

That is true indeed. Mods are the only way.

Out of interest, roughly how long can the stock Convoy C8 HI run on high/100% mode before it gets too hot?

I wonder whether it ever gets too hot at 2.8amps with it's size and weight, and your hand wrapped around it?

Meh, just got my Convoy C8 with XP-L HI U6 3A in form Gearbest, and the stock centring ring is just too thick…
(maybe there’s a specific topic about this, but couldn’t find it…)

There are the following problems:

centring ring shrouds LED
centring ring makes distance between MCPCB and reflector too big

So, i filed / sanded it down on both top and bottom, it’s better now, but not as good as could be.
I’ll leave it for now though, because actually the LED itself is a little too deep down in the head.

It would need a thicker MCPCB, it would have to be about 1 mm thicker.
I’m sure many of you have drawn the same conclusions, when using dome-less XP LEDs in the C8.
I’m even considering removing the flat bit / shelf of the bottom of the reflector, because it too seems to be in the way a little.
But i fear i will ruin the reflector.

Anyway, it’s a very nice flashlight none the less though.
But i think it’s designed for XM-L(2)

[edit]
Filed it down a little more to 0.7mm spacing between MCPCB and reflector, but i now need a thicker O-ring in the bezel…
Meanwhile i found an AR coated glass too. :slight_smile:

thats a lot of flashlight for the money

Any news on remote pressure switch?