single cell budget thrower

The 1000 lumens from a similar big head xml light basically just make the hotspot bigger.

A deeper reflector catches more light to throw into the spot, but doesn't make the spot brighter, just bigger. That said, deeper reflector do seem to be a bit better/more perfect designs in practice (since they're specialty lights, after all), since it takes a significantly deeper reflector to capture more light beyond a certain point (like a 60mm deep reflector is even in theory only a little bit more spot compared to 45mm even though it feels much bigger in your hand).

Generally, bigger aperture (diameter of head) + brighter emitter (all cree are similar, though xre ez900 small die is brightest among them) = brighter spot. Smaller die + bigger shallow diameter = pencil beam.

What Agenthex said is correct. I'd say go for the Palight which has a 13mm larger diameter reflector, it is just $9 more than the Trustfire, and i'd believe the driver could be current regulated (constant brightness), but anyway 2 cell is really better and you could do 2 x 16340 as an option (what's impt is that you have a choice). For the Q5/R2 you'd need current regulation to pump constant brightness.... I know my Dereelight DBS XR-E aspheric thrower start to lose hotspot lux "throw" once voltage of the cell goes below 4.1V unloaded.

Looks pretty nice inside. Should throw well w/ the ez900. Not sure why it need 2 cells though. I supposed with a buck regulator (AX2002?) 2 means always 100% output.

Hilarious specs:

Item Specification

Brand: PALIGHT
Model: BG-8011C
Emitter Brand/Type and BIN: CREE Q5 LED
LED lifetime:as long as 100 thousand hours
Light Color: White
Brightness: 240 lumens
Battery Configurations: 2 x 18650 battery (3000mah) (not included)
Modes(Memory Function): 5 Mode
a) High mode:Brightness 240Lumens
b) Mid mode:Brightness 200Lumens
c) Low mode:Brightness 100Lumens
d) Flash mode:Brightness 240Lumens
e) SOS mode:Brightness 150Lumens
Switch: Tailcap (Tail-cap) click
Material: Aluminum alloy
Operating Voltage: <4.2V
Lens: Coated Glass Lens
Reflector: Aluminum Smooth/SMO Reflector

------

Brand:

PALIGHTPALIGHT

Model:

BG-8011C

Emitter Brand/Type and BIN:

CREE Q5 LED

Light Color:

White

LED:

Brightness:

200 lumens

Battery Configurations:

2 x 18650 battery

Modes(Memory Function):

1 Mode

Switch:

ON/OFF

Switch Location:

Tailcap (Tail-cap)

Dimensions:

230 x 57mm / 9.1 x 2.2in (L x Dia.)

Material:

Aluminum alloy

Operating Voltage:

3-8.4V

Lens:

Coated Glass Lens

Reflector:

Aluminum Smooth/SMO Reflector

Hand Strap:

Strap Included

A deeper reflector CAN make the spot brighter, larger hotspots are a result of poor reflector design/focusing and larger emitters. Its just that the gains in throw (hotspot brightness) show diminishing returns for increases in depth. Deeper reflectors are the "compromise" way of getting a little more (throw) spot brightness without increasing reflector diameter.

I'll just point something out which was pointed out too me a couple of days ago...the Trustfire X9 can be bought for around $34 off Ebay... a fair bit less then Manafont's $55 (of cause it does not have the included charger or battery) but that brings it down to a level where it can compete with other single die emitter lights. I am going to order one of these soon as I need a light that has high lumen and high lux (read big bright hotspot). I will see have it stacks up against a well focused XR-E R2 when it gets here.

No, they really don't. It's somewhat counter-intuitive, but shorter focal lengths don't actually increase spot brightness.

On mine, it's same throw as the common C8/mrv. Much bigger spot, though.

thanks guys

I have both the UniqueFire HS-802 X-RE R2 (1.4A, stock driver) and the TF-X9 XM-L (2.05A).

The HS-802 hotspot is somewhat brighter (therefore more throw) but really tiny. For spotting game at distances of 100-150m I prefer the X9, due to its larger - even if slightly dimmer - hotspot. Also, the spill from the X9 is less bright (little corona) than from my F15 XM-L (with SMO reflector, 3.0-3.5A), the latter effectively killing distant night vision while having a dimmer hotspot than X9.

Anyway, to my eye, the difference in actual hotspot brightness between the three is rather small. What sets these lights apart in actual use is hotspot size (optimal distance), corona size/brightness and spill brightness (distance vision retention).

Sorry, no lux comparison. I'm still waiting for the luxmeter replacement to arrive.

Manual Man,

You may want to review the various threads on X9. The first purchases were from Manafont and those samples were driven at about 3A, while all those bought later from eBay came driven at 2A or less.

No recent delivery from Manfont that I know of, though, so that may have changed by now. The thing may be seller- or time-related.

For the record there is an XM-L version of the Palight BG-8011C but only DinoDirect seem to have it. I'd have pulled the trigger on it myself by now if it had been at MF or KD.

But to feed this week's addiction I think I might go for a pure thrower and grab one of the Trustfire USA168's from MF . I don't have an HS-801/2 or clone yet so it seems to fit the bill. I just love the first of the beamshots on that MF page. A true pencil beam.

after alot of resurch and reading i ended up buying the TrustFire USA168 Q5 3-Mode Memory LED Flashlight (1 x 18650) and the Trustfire C8 Stainless Steel Head XM-L T6 900-Lumen 5-Mode LED Flashlight (1 x 18650) to replace my poor performing kd c8 and because the wife likes it.

between them and the tr-1200 thats actualy pretty good at throwing a jetbeam bc40 (awsome 2 mode light, nice tint that throws well) i should have the throw department covered.

i got an email back saying the refector is 36.3 mm deep

I'm also interested, anyone have this light to give feedback on its throw capability?

the xml led,s since they are large they dont seam to throw as well and since the reflector is not that deep or wide and its regulated at 1 amp i dont think it will be a good thrower at all