SIZE: 18650 CR123A 1AA rechargeable batteries have different size than the primaries?

Hi, do you know if the rechargeable batteries are the same size than primaries one? I mean 18650 CR123A batteries.
Do you know how many mm. they differ?
thanks

18650’s are 18mm in diameter and 65mm long, but there aren’t any primaries in that, or similar, form factor.
CR123A are 16mm in diameter and 34mm long, although rechargeable ones are a bit longer, up to 38mm.
AA rechargeables (NiMH ones) are same size as primaries.

it varies widely… You can’t always assume an 18650 is going to be exactly 18mm diameter / 65mm length.
The best thing to do is post a thread asking other members to post the measurement(s) of their cells.

Here’s also some charts of width/diameter for some more popular 18650 batteries:

WHATTTT I don’t understand those graphics. They shows the 18650 batteries are not the same size. I know every 18650 battery has the same size.

Ok, do you know if Pila IBC charger can charge a NiMH battery? I need to find a rechargeable battery with same size of a AA one.
Thanks.

Nope, it can’t. It only supports Li-Ion batteries (3.7V nominal / 4.2V fully charged), NiMH’s are 1.2V nominal / ~1.4V fully charged

Any battery with a protection circuit will be slightly longer than an unprotected battery and most LiIon batteries are sold with protection circuit.

You are mixing both sizes and chemistry. The main chemistries used for flashlights are:

Alkaline/1.5V Lithium/NiMH: All types are around 1.5 volt and sold in AAA, AA, C and D size cells.

3V Lithium: Usual only used in CR2 and CR123 size.

LiIon: Sold in my different sizes, usual named after the size with 5 digits (like 18650, 10440 ). They have a voltage of 3.6/3.7 volt and are rechargeable (Charge voltage is 4.2 volt). The AA size is called 14500.

A LiIon charger will only charge LiIon and a NiMH charger will only charge NiMH, but there exist a few multi chemistry chargers (Like Sysmax i4).

Is the Sysmaxi4 a good charger? or is better Pila IBC? Thnaks for your news.

Then: if there are different sizes of batteries how can they fit themselves in the same flashlight?

Yes.

I have not tested the Pila, but it has proven that it works. The i4 is a fairly new charger on the market.

The difference between 18650 is less than 5 mm in length, this is usual handled by the tail spring in the flashlight, but with some lights there is problems. Most lights are also bored to handle the largest diameter 18650, but in a few cases you are stuck with a battery that cannot be stuffed into the light.

When I review lights or chargers I often check with different size batteries (I have a selection of 18650 batteries).

The Pila is a better charger for lions. However, if you need to charge both then I would recommend the i4 as it can charge both. I charge all my lion batteries in that inside an ammo can with a fire extinguisher sitting next to it.

> I charge all my lion batteries … inside an ammo can with a fire extinguisher sitting next to it.

Good advice. So do I. I’ve only had one battery vent so far — and that was days after it failed to take a charge.
The damage causes crystals to slowly grow inside until they break a membrane — then chemicals react fast and hot.

Lithium-ion cells are not built for flashlights.
They are made to go into packages as batteries for computers.

Lithium-ion cells being sold for flashlights are basically unsafe products that you must understand yourself personally quite well to use safely.

Li-ion cells with ‘protection’ circuits added — little electronic part put on the outside at one end, with a thin metal strip connecting to the other end, then shrinkwrapped under a new layer of outside plastic — are done that way to make them somewhat safer. Not “safe” but less easily misused in ways that can be dangerous.

We take this stuff for granted after using them for a few years but any new user who doesn’t know the differences between chargers, and battery chemistries, and protection circuits needs to pay attention and read carefully before making a mistake.

Even fully Underwriters Lab- inspected and CE-certified electronics fail and burn houses down — just not very often.
You can’t trust this stuff to take care of you and your family.
You have to take care, yourself.

AA rechargeables (NiMH ones) are same size as primaries.
Its not “safe” to assume this. I bought a Fenix MC10 once and the battery tube was too tight for EneloopAA. The cell would get jammed in the tube if I forced it in. While Duracell alkaline fit just fine. I had to exchange the light for a good one that fit Eneloop.

_WHATTTT I don’t understand those graphics. They shows the 18650 batteries are not the same size. I know every 18650 battery has the same size.
No, not all cells are the same size. Its just flat out wrong to assume every 18650 is 18mm x 65mm, or every 14500 is 14mm x 50mm… there is a VERY broad tolerance range.

Ok, do you know if Pila IBC charger can charge a NiMH battery? I need to find a rechargeable battery with same size of a AA one.
I don’t own that charger, I’l let others reply.

Thanks.
Sure np and welcome to BLF!!!

This website might help with answering several questions on expected size and different chemistry and so on . . lithium-ions are closest to the bottom.