Convoy T3 can sustain 150 lumen for 1h. We also need to normalize for nimh element capacity since some use 1900mah like element and some high capacity like eneloop pro.
And T8 with SFT 25? can sustain 300 lumen for 40 min:
Convoy T3 can sustain 150 lumen for 1h. We also need to normalize for nimh element capacity since some use 1900mah like element and some high capacity like eneloop pro.
And T8 with SFT 25? can sustain 300 lumen for 40 min:
@jon_slider If I read the graph correctly L5 NiMH is 250 lumen for 50 minutes which is on par with D3AA
good point..
agree, thanks for pointing that out
I only did not use it because the line is not flat regulated (some of the 1lumen charts are so cluttered they just make my brain fuzzy.. lol)
What we see from D3AA and KR1AA shows that for NIMH the mainstream manufactures lag in efficiency since in system with battery, driver and led the only difference between D3AA/KR1AA and rest of the pack is driver. The LEDs and battery are more or less the same between them.
Convoy T8 can sustain 300 lumen with SFT25R albeit with driver with efficiency which looks to be something like 50 - 60% with current consumption around 4A. I measured 3.7A with fresh eneloop pro in mine T6 at 100%. And yes T8 is like 18650 light in size which happen to be powered by AA element.
It is a good question why freeman driver can push 85% efficiency with NIMH and other mainstream manufactures produce drivers with what looks like 50%/60% most and even zebra appears lag behind 150 lumen for 1h is 25% less than 200 lumen for 1h ![]()
It could be that boost / buck topology require much more space and cost more than boost only if it true it would be great to see AA size light with something like nichia 719a
Again D3AA shows you can have AA light with 200 lumen sustainable and 500 lumen turbo. Too bad we do not have something like T6 with that driver. I personally like T6 with OP reflector good balanced light. Big but for me it is a feature
More thermal mass when I can use more safe elements. I do not want to have too much of li ion stored at home that why I only allowed one 18650 light for myself D4V2 ![]()
I wish somebody had convinced me of this before I had something over 300 Lithium Ion cells here…![]()
What I also forgot to mentions for things which I miss in many mainstream AA/14500 offering is active thermal management. Per what we know M140 V4 or EC150 lack it and solely rely on timed stepdown which a bit frustrating for lights that cost around ~50$ and that again why I do value if light has Anduril 2 UI. I think it is great feature to ensure you have best output and not damage your battery.
@jon_slider I think you mentioned somewhere that even some AA zebras lacks active thermal management.
So far it looks only D3AA, KR1AA, nitecore MT1A and some zebras has it from what I saw for lights with dual fuel option. Convoys has some limited version of it.
From my perspective it is also where Olight drop the ball if they want to justify proprietary batteries they need provide some extra feature and having a thermal sensor as part of battery wrapping could be it to provide better info for mcu on stability of system. For all hate that Apple gets at least they understand if you want to do vendor lock in you need provide extra for it.
correct, that is my experience.. PID is not listed and my Zebralight SC53c N got up to 65C after 20 minutes on level 12 using 1.5V LiIon. I dont normally run the High mode that long, I only did it for a test.
There is normally no need for thermal management on a light running AA batteries.. the output is usually too low for heat to be an issue. But 1.5V are a special case.
according to this youtube, the 1.5V LiIon gets up to 60C (because of the Voltage converter), when using 2A output for 5 minutes (this is only an issue in the SC53 on level 12, aka H1):
I still like to use 1.5V LiIon in my dual fuel capable SC53 because it has almost no Lux Riple (green box on left). LiIon has the most Riple (red box on right), although not visible to the naked eye because the frequency is very fast:
====
otoh, the thermal management is so good in the D3AA and KR1AA, that they wont let the light go above 150 lumens when using 1.5V LiIon.. because the sensor recognizes the hot transformer and steps down.. in fact the D3AA steps down below 100 lumens.. it notices the battery heat even more than the KR1AA does. So I dont use 1.5V LiIon in the Emisars.
fwiw the D3AA has less Riple than the KR1AA, and both have less Riple on AA than on 14500:
====
btw, my Skilhunt H150 does not have Any significant Riple, regardless of battery type:
I keep a Skilhunt H150 loaded with Eneloop in my car, summer and winter, as an emergency headlamp. Its a great little light and totally reliable. I just make sure to keep the tailcap loose, to eliminate any chance of the raised switch button being pushed accidentally.
And I covered the magnetic charging port with a piece of electrical tape, to prevent making the mistake of attempting to charge an Eneloop with the magnetic charger. I also dont store the magnetic charging cable with the light. I dont think the H150 has any safety mechanism to prevent charging a non LiIon.
========
fwiw, the Skilhunt M150V4 is not as clean in terms of the Flicker Index.. on the lowest low it uses relatively low frequency with deep modulation:
Generally yes. In my experience my son got a couple convoys to heat up to something like 60℃ which is more (on NIMH probably chinese cells so they heat up more) than I would like when he leaved the light on sofa for extended period of time. So I have to switch most of them to group 8 with 50% max.
I am using samsung phones for a long time
so likely more tolerant to flicker since samsung screens are atrocious in that department and only in S24 ultra they started to improve frequency for PWD.
EC150 is much better in that regard it is a great job that they crammed an usb c port in body which is smaller than D3AA. To me D4V2 not having the charge port is one of the major flaws. It is a mid 2026 after all.
L1 looks bad.
I am waiting for F35R version of M150. Lets see if it any good.
Asked gemini to do a graph for cross reference various popular leds relevant to M150 and it looks F35R trail in output to nichia 519a.
It will be an interesting question if better intensity will offset lower output in M150 body for practical applications.
SFT40 looks like 50% more efficient and can give 300 lumen in sustainable power budget for M150 compared to 200 lumen of F35R.
I tried SFT40 5000k in T6 and so far happy with it. To me it looks even rosy but tolerable compared to very green SST20 when comparing side by side.
What makes you think that the chart is correct?
And did you ask it what else it could hallucinate for you today?
F35R’s inferior output is stated by Skilhunt themselves.
@SammysHP I tried to calculated myself per data we have on BLF and per it F35R better than nichia 519a de-domed and it is a wash if it compared with domed version)))
I don’t entirely trust my numbers. I measure with a smartphone and a shoebox. I do think they’re pretty close most of the time though.
My only criticism is that you don’t do more reviews ![]()
I like that you are opinionated about efficiency and share lumen/watt values. I think too many of the reviewers are generating content without any real POV. While I appreciate the data they share, the conclusions and judgments aren’t that useful but I find yours interesting, and nost just because I tend to agree with how you approach the hobby.
Received my package for M150 F35R model. Hopefully can daily drive it during next weekend. Will do comparison with other 14500 lights I have. Initial impression it is throwy for its small reflector.
Hotspot around 50% bigger compared T6 nichia 519a so it is less throwy than floody version of T6 but that is to be expected.
Comparison of beamshot of skillhunt and t6 nichia with op reflector. Skillhunt on the left. Nichia has 5000k CCT
Where T6 shines is that it has both tighter Hotspot and brighter spill. Much brighter.
Skillhunt - 1200 lux for hotspot / 30 lux for spill (H1 14500 BL-113C)
T6 - 1200 lux for hotspot / 100 lux for spill (50% NIMH)
So on T6 spill is around 3 times brigher and therefore more useful.
I do not have spectrophotometer to measure spectral data but clearly unlikely to have positive duv it is more rosy to my eye compared to nichia.
Skillhunt left vs lanapple right.
It is probably more relevant comparison since they have more or less identical reflector diameter and we see M150 with F35R clearly produce much more candela even if my lanapple has smooth reflector.
great beam comparisons
thanks for posting pics
the lux comparisons are also very informing
seems the M150 has a nice tight hotspot and throwy beam, nice LED color too.. domed 519a looks slightly greenish to me, I like its tint better DeDomed..
the T6 spill does look very useful for close range..